What nerve!!!! $15 USD for a vodka cranberry in Santiago

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE do not think i'm some kind of cheap ba$tard because of this post.

So I just came back from a short trip to Santiago. I went to one of the "lounges" in Santiago and was charged $15 USD for a grey goose vodka/cranberry. I was in shock when the guy said $490 pesos. I did not know how to react. My first thought was to ask him if he thought I was stupid or something. Second thought was maybe I should just pay and order something "cheaper" when I run out.

My reaction: I asked to speak to the manager. Manager came up to me and I let loose telling him that at the bar of the Tribeca Grand this very same drink is $10 bucks. That in no way in hell was I to pay 5 bucks more in some cheezy lounge in Santiago, Dominican Republic. So after letting him have it he reduced it to $10 bucks (which I guess is ok).

The people I was with critized the hell out of me because they considered what I did to be very "chopo-ish". Demand a bargain at one of Santiago's best lounges in front of the "elite" crowd of the city. Meahwhile, seemed like everyone was drinking presidentes and cuba libres. WHAT GIVES MAN!!!

I don't give a $$$hit about what people think about me. I just hate it when people want to take advantage of others.

What would you have done?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I wouldn't complain (too British) but I would make a note not to go there again. Let them rip off other mugs with more money than sense.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

and what are the odds it was actually grey goose?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I guess I would not have enough confidence or general knowledge of prices to complain, but I would definitely just leave and never come back to that place.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You need to understand that its quite cheap for a "high class" Dominican - they get to represent their "high social standing" for only $15. They don't have to buy a nice house or a car or anything else, they can get it cheaply for that price.

Only a gringo would complain... Its funny though :)

I've had this happen at the new place in Plaza Internacionale. I paid the bill and won't go back.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
First I would have asked to see the menu, failing that if I know what the going rate is for something I would complain. Why? Well, everyone knows the deal here when dealing with foreigners, charge them more if you think you can get away with this.

I deal with this all of the time, especially when buying a fria in the colmados - they often try to tack on RD5 or RD10. It is amazing that this "thought process" is so uniform. The last time some kid did this at a local colmado I told him the correct price and he bedrugingly returned the RD5. It's not the money, it's the principle.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I

would have said I ordered a drink not the bottle.But he replies" the vodka was FREE the cranberry juice is $15.00

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
And you principle would be what???? over 5 pesos??? To prove that you have more than that poor kid could ever dream of having and that you probably spend more in one day on drinks than his father makes in a week???? Real Hero you are!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
And you principle would be what???? over 5 pesos??? To prove that you have more than that poor kid could ever dream of having and that you probably spend more in one day on drinks than his father makes in a week???? Real Hero you are!!!

Hey numnut, one I live here. Two, I drink one jumbo a day at RD80 pesos. Three, the kids father in this case is the owner of the colmado and I'm sure this guy brings in RD10,000 a week judging from the colmado/house and yipeta. Four, teaching a person a valuable lesson like don't try to steal from others is as honorable as they come - if you don't have kids maybe you can't understand this.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
El Diablo!!!.

I wouldn't complain.....At least NOT in front of my friends and clientele....BUUUT I would ask to speak to the manager in person and tell him I thought the price was too high and that it would be the last time they see my face there again!.

You are right buddy, nothing worse than to feel someone is trying to tell you "pendejo" to your face!.

Btw: I would have told the bartender to take the drink back!....Been there, done that and I still have the t-shirt that says "no axxhole, I am not paying for it, move on to the next person you think is a pendejo" to prove it!.

The NERVES!.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hey El Tigre, I think you're the second guy on this forum who got charged $15 for a vodka(grey goose). Maybe its the grey goose? I think I paid $900RD for a medium bottle of absolute. Hahaha, Santiago is becoming real fancy.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I would have been shocked too. I do not go to these places, just because the prices are for pendejos. I am quite happy at ahibar. Did I say, I love brahma lite.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Yeah Sylindr, why don?t you be a sport and come buy us all a drink since you like to throw your money away so willingly?

Hell El Tigre, they probably made up the total cost of the bottle just on your one drink.

Some people will just never understand that when living on retirement, those 5 pesos (Chip) and those 5 dollars (El Tigre) add up by the end of the month. For a tourist it?s one thing, but for those living here all the time, that shyte adds up.

It has not been that long ago when all the kids wanted "Un peso", now it?s "Cinco pesos" and even "Vente pesos" fairly often.

My fixed income has not increase 500%.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
What would you have done?
Ask the price before ordering.

Failing that, I would make sure this is the standard price and not a rich gringo price, paid, and never returned.

I usually do not check the price of a Presidente or cuba libre before ordering but if I am ordering an MGD, I will often check to see if the price is reasonable or ridiculous.
For a Grey Goose or any premium type of drink I would definitely want to know the price before ordering.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
It was at the Zoom lounge. Funny thing is I always go there. The last time I was there I paid like 300 pesos for this drink. I told this to the bartender and his reply was PRICES HAVE GONE UP. I was like HORSEEEEE $$$HIT!!!!

Chip - they don't have menus at these places. It's sort of "word of mouth" if you will. You ask the bartender how much and he gives you the price.

Till this day I think to myself what was it that made them think I was a foreigner and a pendejo. I wasn't dressed like a dom-york. The people I was with were dressed in the same style as I was. Matter of fact everyone sort of looked the same in a way. Nice jeans, puma sneakers or shoes, dress shirt etc.

I said I would not go there again but on my next trip I will dare go and ask how much for the very same drink. I want to see what the response will be.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Yeah Sylindr, why don?t you be a sport and come buy us all a drink since you like to throw your money away so willingly?

Hell El Tigre, they probably made up the total cost of the bottle just on your one drink.

Some people will just never understand that when living on retirement, those 5 pesos (Chip) and those 5 dollars (El Tigre) add up by the end of the month. For a tourist it?s one thing, but for those living here all the time, that shyte adds up.

It has not been that long ago when all the kids wanted "Un peso", now it?s "Cinco pesos" and even "Vente pesos" fairly often.

My fixed income has not increase 500%.

You got it big guy....hate to see all you retirees so down and out!!