Death of a 1 year old by Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I was just informed of a one year old being killed at the intersection of the hwy in Juan Dolio and the turn off for Los Conucos. Apparently a truck killed and severely maimed (it sounds like her legs were severed) the mother yesterday. Does anyone have any more info on what happened? I'm asking for someone else who has no computer access and she is very upset by what happened. TIA

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My maid informed me this morning.....

Father and one year old child killed (funeral procession went by our place about 45 min. ago) and the mother is in hospital in SPM in 'grave' condition.

A large truck collided with a motorbike at the rotundo to Los Conucos/Guaveberry/Metro.

Happened about 6pm last night so was still daylight.

Last edited:

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Such a sad story

Father and one year old child killed (funeral procession went by our place about 45 min. ago) and the mother is in hospital in SPM in 'grave' condition.

A large truck collided with a motorbike at the rotundo to Los Conucos/Guaveberry/Metro.

Happened about 6pm last night so was still daylight.

Thanks for the info. I had just given our housekeeper and her one year old a ride from the vaccination clinic yesterday and mentioned HOW dangerous that area was (partly because she had her kid on her lap and no seat belt--I was encouraging her to at least wear a seat belt.) She came in shaking this morning to inform me of what happened.

Is it my imagination or have the injurious and/or fatal collisions increased in JD/Guay/Los Conucos area? It's possible I've now just got enough history to judge so I'm not sure. If anyone knows RELIABLE stats on this (or who actually keeps reliable stats) please let me know. PAHO & WHO estimate that the infant mortality rate reported in the DR is UNDER-REPORTED by 80%. Maternal Mortality while reported as high is ALSO under-reported (according to PAHO & WHO.) Accidents are a leading cause of death in children. So sad...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The loss of a child is sad in itself but the fact that this type of thing is preventable makes the situation that much more upsetting.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'll be coldhearted - they brought it upon themselves. riding a motoconcho is dangerous for everyone and i always have visions of nasty death whenever i use one. if i'd had a child i'd rather walk the take it on a motor. mothers ask for those tragedies to happen THEMSELVES.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
i'll be coldhearted - they brought it upon themselves. riding a motoconcho is dangerous for everyone and i always have visions of nasty death whenever i use one. if i'd had a child i'd rather walk the take it on a motor. mothers ask for those tragedies to happen THEMSELVES.

While you may or may not be correct, perhaps if you have never lost a child or been there when a child has passed away, passing judgement in a time of grief only adds insult to injury.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So sad and so true........

We (as in expats) call motoconchos the "death of the Dominicans" because so many of them are killed and maimed each year on motoconchos.
Of course many of them have faulty brakes, no rear light or headlight for that matter (which is one of the hazards of driving at night in this country - very easy to overtake and run over a 'concho!), however the motoconchists are sure to keep them sparkling clean.

In this latest case the baby was being held on the front of the moto while mum was sitting at the back.....no helmets of course!

Not clear whether the truck ran into the moto or the moto ran into the truck but the end result is the same - 2 dead and most likely a third.

DRCHRIS....living right at the intersection (basically anyways, one building over) on the highway - turn one direction and you are at the beach, turn the other and head to Los Conucos I can say that accidents at this particular corner seem to be a little less this year. There have been no deaths since we got back end of Jan. and usually there is at least one every 7-10 days.
Don't know about the intersection where the rotundo is but haven't heard of too many this year.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
MommC--as always you are wealth of info. Every 7-10 days!?? OMG, that is insane. We used to live RIGHT next to the I405 & 10 freeways in LA, CA and every day we heard screeching crashing (many days more than once and a series of sequential pile-ups.) Are you able to hear the collisions as well as see them?

dv8--As for the motos and blaming the Dominicans... I have to ask "What choice do most of these people have?" Most see the motos as a fact of life and have never seen anything different. The concept of saving to buy as used bike (which without a helmet would probably be almost as dangerous although somewhat more within their control) is a tough sell (I've tried). The lack of helmet use and overloading of these vehicles DOES disturb me terribly, but there is clearly a cultural consensus here that motos are a "necessary evil."

We freaked out when we found out our 17 year old had been taking motoconchos while he was living as a volunteer at the NPH orphanage last summer. Of course, being 17 and "invincible" he didn't understand. I think this speaks to what happens here. People grow up riding these death traps and don't have many options. Because helmets are not part of the cultural expectation and norm, plus they are an added expense, they aren't worn. The highway is exceptionally dangerous given the two way, high speed traffic (on each side it's supposed to be one-way, but really it's two way for those who haven't been here), unregulated intersections, drinking & driving, disrepair of vehicles, and general recklessness on the part of drivers.

I will say that I have actually had motos HIT me while everyone was standing still in traffic (including the moto initially). On one occasion in SPM, we were all backed up on Duarte and this moto drove into me from a standstill position (where I had been stuck behind another vehicle at a standstill). Then he asked for money...to which I replied "Let's go to the police." Of course he smiled and walked back to his pesola. Oye!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Update.....

Mother is/was approx. 5 months pregnant and is now paralyzed from waist down.....not sure if fetus is still viable (my source didn't know) and not sure if amputation of leg/legs is pending (again source didn't know but I'll post info if/when available.)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Update.......3 dead....

fetus was aborted.....spontaneously.

So really 4 lives were lost as the mother (who was from Guayacanes) will never walk again.....even if no aputation takes place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8--As for the motos and blaming the Dominicans... I have to ask "What choice do most of these people have?"
they can use guaguas or public cars. they can walk.
we all know they are to balme. wouldn't you rather walk then take your 1 year old on a motor?

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
why dont the politicians give up spending money on all those stupid road signs and buy helmets for the people those pictures of the politicians on the roads are boring and totally played out also you have the president riding on the metro when basic transportation problems are not being addressed :surprised:surprised:surprised

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mikey007, you are of course right, there in no public transport to speak of and hence use of motors and number of deaths.
in my time in DR i used motoconcho only few times, ALWAYS with fear. when i look at motors with parents plus few of their kids i just don't understand, have they no fear?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree that while poverty and lack of choice is a slight mitigating factor, it is first and foremost the parents' fault. What excuse do all those parents who do have cars have, for letting their small children to sit in the front seat or loose in the back with no seatbelt, let alone carseat, or for holding babies while sitting in the front seat. Children who are not using seatbelts usually stand leaning between the two front seats - and are likely to be propelled through the windscreen at the slightest impact or even sudden braking.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
they can use guaguas or public cars. they can walk.
we all know they are to balme. wouldn't you rather walk then take your 1 year old on a motor?

dv8--I'm not sure where you are but HERE on the South side, out of the cities, guaguas only run on the paved roads and the main ones at that. So sure, guaguas (dangerous in and of themselves) are an option INSIDE the city of SP and the Cap, but when you get off of the 'beaten path' you are left with: walking (many times the workers have miles to go--and YES, I would walk if it meant putting my kid on a moto); bike (many can't afford one--we won't go into the longterm investing issue); motos...sigh. The "roads" I'm talking about ARE NOT PAVED. For example, the road into Los Conucos is a dirt--sometimes with gravel (right now in places) road with enormous holes that fill with water and mud. My jepeta has an interesting go of this road when it's rained recently (then again, one of my vehicles is literally falling apart from the door handles to parts of the frame)...

In short--guaguas DON'T go to the batay of LC. Bikes are hard to come by (and in the mud, quite difficult) and walking takes them too long (have you ever seen a Dominican walk with a NYer? It's comical.)

And, yes I agree that ignorance is part of the issue but there are systemic failures too.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I agree that while poverty and lack of choice is a slight mitigating factor, it is first and foremost the parents' fault. What excuse do all those parents who do have cars have, for letting their small children to sit in the front seat or loose in the back with no seatbelt, let alone carseat, or for holding babies while sitting in the front seat. Children who are not using seatbelts usually stand leaning between the two front seats - and are likely to be propelled through the windscreen at the slightest impact or even sudden braking.

Agree completely--absolutely no argument from me on these points. I cringe every time I see it (many times a day.) It is especially troubling to see that the adults not only do this, but they don't roll-model any preventive behaviors in this area. Then there are the 12 year olds driving. One of my most shocking (still) things to witness is the kids who are plopped in the little storage area of the pesolas or the 4 year old kids driving them with their dad/uncle/friend behind.

This particular aspect of the DR is what initially overwhelmed me when I moved down here. As a public health doc I was faced with the "Where do we begin?" concept. It's hard to not feel like you are trying to empty the ocean with a bucket. This is one of the reasons I find working with the NPH orphanage so gratifying. I have a defined population that I can have an ongoing impact with education, preventive and treatment interventions, etc.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
why dont the politicians give up spending money on all those stupid road signs and buy helmets for the people those pictures of the politicians on the roads are boring and totally played out also you have the president riding on the metro when basic transportation problems are not being addressed :surprised:surprised:surprised

Great idea Mikey. Besides, didn't I just see a DR1 brief on how the pres is using the public money for his campaign (and I supposed the street signs with his face all over them)? On the way to the city of SP (from JD), there is now and interesting complaint sign against Metro. Anyone see it? It's still not clear to me why they didn't go with a light rail system (other than the possibility of stolen parts that is.)

I think having the pres (and all govt officials) take some "interesting" motoconcho rides might have an impact on where they spend the money. It's like the lifeboat theory: if everyone is in the same lifeboat then the rich and/or powerful will make damn sure that the lifeboat doesn't have a hole.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think having the pres (and all govt officials) take some "interesting" motoconcho rides might have an impact on where they spend the money. It's like the lifeboat theory: if everyone is in the same lifeboat then the rich and/or powerful will make damn sure that the lifeboat doesn't have a hole.
Your idea of getting the President (pres I think is your disrespectful term for him) on to a motoconcho is of course totally impossible - he & his Government officers would never consent to such a thing so it will never happen, they will never SEE what you are trying to allude to. I regret to advise that even if this DID come about, they would doubtless close their eyes & see absolutely nothing - therefore it is not there!:pirate:!

Your analogy is interesting but not understanding of the 'Rich and/or powerful' approach to these matters. If they were to find themselves in a lifeboat with a load of middle & lower echelon Dominicans sharing it with them & then find the lifeboat HAS got a hole in it, .....:surprised...... the 'Rich and/or powerful' just look around the boat to see which of the other passengers can be pushed into the hole to reduce the speed of the water entering & give them more time to grab a bit more of whatever they can!

This is life in the Dominican Republic. Get used to it & prepare for the revolution! ~ Grahame.:cheeky: :ermm:

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Hey Grahame--Thanks for the laugh on the lifeboat. I didn't NECESSARILY intend disrespect with the use of 'pres'...just an abrev some US folks use. And OF COURSE they'd never let him ride around on a moto--BUT it is an entertaining idea, which is ALL I meant. Basically it goes back to that "walk a mile in their shoes" concept (which I know you are familiar with.) There are places I'd like to take the US pres also to build more empathy...but that is another story.

I think getting "used to things" in terms of sanity is one thing...getting used to unacceptable situations is quite another. Take for example the incident with the gang rape. There is no way I will EVER get "used" to such an atrocity. I'm not some snotty teen who thinks in purely idealistic ways (I have one of those in my house though.;) There are just some basic human rights (some of which are completely violated in the US) that need protecting and encouraging.

Now, WHICH revolution would you like to see? Unfortunately I believe that the situation here is much like in other places where people are placated with 'things.' George Carlin has a great skit on how Americans have been bought off by consumerism (surrounding themselves with useless crud that keeps them enslaved to a system of constantly wanting more stuff and not challenging the status quo). To a lesser degree, much of the angst that would stir a revolution here is bought off by items like cell phones, TVs, scooters, etc. That is not to say that they don't need them, but I see a complacency set in once certain 'things' have been achieved. Those who manage to make it out of poverty either move or buy off those who would stir the pot. I just don't see a revolution happening here any time soon...I could be wrong...it's happened before;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with DRChris........

Once the basic need for food and shelter (even if built of tin) has been met the next items are clothes, cell phone, TV, stereo, fridge.

Apathy reigns as the people are convinced NOTHING they do will change anything and ALL politicians are the same no matter which party they belong to.

(Hoping all the language used is "acceptable")

Status
Not open for further replies.