where to buy a New/Used car in DR?

Notribao

Mar 1, 2008
Hi there, I am interested in buying a car in DR but i cant find any dealer shops or used car stores? Maybe someone can direct me to their web pages?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Unfortunately, SuperCarros sux, IMHO.
You have to go to the dealers.
The few that have websites aren't really helpful anyhow.
We go to Moca to Espaillat Motors, if that happens to be near where you are.

Feb 7, 2007
Rocky has high steems and opinios about Espaillat Motors in moca, even though I cant comment. Many people seems to be satisfied with that dealership.

Most car sellers in the DR do not have websites. You have to go and see. The best bet is to buy a 30 days Carfax report service (CARFAX used car VIN number search, auto history check, vehicle history reports) with unlimited VIN-runnings. Take all the VINs of the cars you are interested in and run a CARFAX report. Most cars sold in the DR by the dealers do have odometer readings changed, have salvage /accident history, etc.

Your 30 dollars to unlimited Carfax reports will be well spent. Most cars sold in the DR come from the USA, and will have Carfax reports available on them. Some cars come from Japan, though, for those cars, unfortunately, no Carfax reports are available.

I had a luck that the car I bought had the odomoter reading that corresponded to the last Carfax report (6 yrs and 57.000 miles, very good ratio) (+700 miles) and no salvage/accident history.

In my investigations, I have seen cars being sold with 50.000 miles at DR dealerships and carfax saying 100.000+ miles, car-rental history (indicates car abuse), slavage/accidents, etc.

J

John Evans

turin motors in moca are another good one - for the newer second hand car

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Rubio is correct check your car on carfax. We "bought" three cars in Moca all to be returned when we checked carfax.
1. odometer turned back 100,000 miles
2. odometer turned back 50,000 and salvage tittle
3. odometer correct. had been issued junk title in the US

So be very careful. Best to buy from a leaving expat who bought a new vehicle or shipped one in himself.

Bob K

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You can also track the sale path via the dealer. My SUV we were able to establish the original dealer it was bought from in Santo Domingo and then who the first owner was, where it is now mine.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think that studying supercarros.com in depth will give you a necessary "feel" for what's generally available and what the current ASKING prices are on the street, BEFORE you take your money to it (the street or any particular dealer).
Keep in mind that Dominicans are used to haggling even over the price of a single sanitary pad at the local colmado. Car dealer tend to try to play a sort of price "authority" first, but at the end of the day they are not likely to see you WALK off their lot. If you don't speak Spanish well enough, bring a trusted soul who can along. And TAKE TIME. You got the money, they want it.
Check back with the dealerships to see if the particular model can be serviced locally (nope, some imports are not designed four the local low grade fuels, some have new type automatic gear boxes for which it is almost impossible to get the power fluid, and so forth.). Also check on the NEW price locally before buying an almost new vehicle (1 to 2 years), you may be surprised to find out that some dealers will try to sell you something used for more than you could get it new.
IF the vehicle is a Dominican issue (local dealership original), check with them about the service record and IF the warranty is indeed transferable and active (some are not anymore, even though the vehicle is well within the warranty time and mileage, just because the services have not been done at the dealership up to the schedule!).

CarFax is a valuable tool, but only for cars that HAVE BEEN registered in the US and only for that time.

And finally, where ever you or the vehicle in question may come from or what currency you are paying with, this is the Dominican Republic and only this country's laws will apply to the deal (especially US-Americans seem at times to have a hard time to adapt to that fact).

... J-D.

Notribao

Mar 1, 2008
I think that studying supercarros.com in depth will give you a necessary "feel" for what's generally available and what the current ASKING prices are on the street, BEFORE you take your money to it (the street or any particular dealer).
Keep in mind that Dominicans are used to haggling even over the price of a single sanitary pad at the local colmado. Car dealer tend to try to play a sort of price "authority" first, but at the end of the day they are not likely to see you WALK off their lot. If you don't speak Spanish well enough, bring a trusted soul who can along. And TAKE TIME. You got the money, they want it.
Check back with the dealerships to see if the particular model can be serviced locally (nope, some imports are not designed four the local low grade fuels, some have new type automatic gear boxes for which it is almost impossible to get the power fluid, and so forth.). Also check on the NEW price locally before buying an almost new vehicle (1 to 2 years), you may be surprised to find out that some dealers will try to sell you something used for more than you could get it new.
IF the vehicle is a Dominican issue (local dealership original), check with them about the service record and IF the warranty is indeed transferable and active (some are not anymore, even though the vehicle is well within the warranty time and mileage, just because the services have not been done at the dealership up to the schedule!).

CarFax is a valuable tool, but only for cars that HAVE BEEN registered in the US and only for that time.

And finally, where ever you or the vehicle in question may come from or what currency you are paying with, this is the Dominican Republic and only this country's laws will apply to the deal (especially US-Americans seem at times to have a hard time to adapt to that fact).

... J-D.

Thank you for reply!