All about Cabarete

ilGrezzo

Mar 1, 2008
Hello everyone,
I'm new of the forum, i'm italian, i'm 20 years old and i'm planning to go to Cabarete next winter.
Well, actually i would like to know everything about it, especially about the criminality.
I suppose that it is obvious to find some criminality in places like this, but i would like to know how much and what kind of risks there are, and what precautions should i take.
Is it difficult to find houses for rent? And what are the prices approximately?
It is no problem for me to stay in the ghetto or what else, i don't need five star flats ;).
It would be great if you can give me these kind of infos and whatever else you think i should know.

Thank you very much,
Luca :D

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hello everyone,
I'm new of the forum, i'm italian, i'm 20 years old and i'm planning to go to Cabarete next winter.
Well, actually i would like to know everything about it, especially about the criminality.
I suppose that it is obvious to find some criminality in places like this, but i would like to know how much and what kind of risks there are, and what precautions should i take.
Is it difficult to find houses for rent? And what are the prices approximately?
It is no problem for me to stay in the ghetto or what else, i don't need five star flats ;).
It would be great if you can give me these kind of infos and whatever else you think i should know.

Thank you very much,
Luca :D

Would that be the crime you are referring to?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Near the top of this very page, in the blue taskbar, click on "search"
In the subsequent window that opens up, click on "advanced search".
On the following page that opens, type in the word "cabarete" in the space below "key word(s)".
In the small box right below where you typed "cabarete", change the default option from "search entire posts" to "search titles only".
Scroll the page down and click on the "search now" icon.
This will give you access to threads with the word Cabarete in the title.
Select and read any threads that appear interesting to you for the info you require.

ilGrezzo

Mar 1, 2008
well, actually i did it but i find posts of about one year ago or older.
i was willing to know the situation in these days.
for a guy like me, that is going in cabarete to teach kitesurf, i don't have much money and i wasn't planning to bring anything valuable.
how much is the risk for robberies etc etc...

hope i'm not asking to much ;)

Hang loose

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
well, actually i did it but i find posts of about one year ago or older.
i was willing to know the situation in these days.
for a guy like me, that is going in cabarete to teach kitesurf, i don't have much money and i wasn't planning to bring anything valuable.
how much is the risk for robberies etc etc...

hope i'm not asking to much ;)

Hang loose
Well, if you don't have money and aren't bringing anything valuable, there would be little for anyone to steal from you.
Nevertheless, if you exercise normal caution, you should have no problems.
The people at the place where you will be working will also be able to assist you on matters of security.

ilGrezzo

Mar 1, 2008
perfect, thank you.
and about accomodation, is it reccomended to find a flat before reaching cabarete or is it easy to find it when you're already there?

;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
perfect, thank you.
and about accomodation, is it reccomended to find a flat before reaching cabarete or is it easy to find it when you're already there?

;)
It's much better to find one once you're there.
You can check into a cheap hotel for the first couple of days until you find a long term place to live.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
ilG,
#1... you'll love Cabarete
#2... there is some crime, but I don't think out of line with a tourist town it's size. probably most common is occasional pick pocketing if you let a 'working girl' get too close. but, then you can control that. there was a rash of home invasions last year that caused a lot of concern. these were mostly free-standing homes outside of town. be smart, blend in with the kite crowd & you'll be fine. really. lots of people your age, guys & girls move here from all over the world and get by just fine.
#3... rentals are pretty easy to come by. i'd recommend waiting until you're here for anything long term. for the initial week or so until you find something more permanent - something cheap like ali's surf camp, casa blanca, or sans souci should be fine. 'nice' studio or 1 bed apartments with a/c, 24hr power, and internet can be found for $500-$600. you can also find things in callejon (dominican neighborhood on the edge of town) for much less. if you have contacts already at a kite school, ask them if they can keep an ear open for apartments that might suit you... that could be your best option to have something quickly

feel free to ask more questions

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
ilG,
#1... you'll love Cabarete
#2... there is some crime, but I don't think out of line with a tourist town it's size. probably most common is occasional pick pocketing if you let a 'working girl' get too close. but, then you can control that. there was a rash of home invasions last year that caused a lot of concern. these were mostly free-standing homes outside of town. be smart, blend in with the kite crowd & you'll be fine. really. lots of people your age, guys & girls move here from all over the world and get by just fine.
#3... rentals are pretty easy to come by. i'd recommend waiting until you're here for anything long term. for the initial week or so until you find something more permanent - something cheap like ali's surf camp, casa blanca, or sans souci should be fine. 'nice' studio or 1 bed apartments with a/c, 24hr power, and internet can be found for $500-$600. you can also find things in callejon (dominican neighborhood on the edge of town) for much less. if you have contacts already at a kite school, ask them if they can keep an ear open for apartments that might suit you... that could be your best option to have something quickly

feel free to ask more questions

I agree very with all said above... AND if I were you, I would stay at Alis surfcamp first week or so. A lot of surfers stay there so get to know the people u tangle your lines with... Alis have long term deals also. Short term, basic room with breakfast and dinner included is just 33 US a night. Ali's surfing camp in Cabarete: Lodging in Cabarete

Late december can be busy, so I would book a room for a week or so.

Good luck!