what pain relief is avaliable from pharmacy?

karen.s

Sep 12, 2007
what is the strongest pain relief that you can buy from the pharmacy ? my partner has a dvt in leg and needs some good pain relief and something to help him sleep when in pain is it possible to buy this or do you need to see a doctor?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Please.......... consult a doctor. Doesn't he need heparin or warfarin or something? What about the risk of embolism etc? I would say consult a doctor quickly to avoid complications. You can get normal over the counter painrelief in the DR. What you can't get is proper medical advice from this noticeboard unless someone like Dr. James Bailes happens to see your post. If your partner is already on anti-coagulants then you would need to watch any adverse interactions with an unknown painkiller and we're none of us qualified to advise on that unless it's the doctor referred to above. So, please see a doctor. And I hope your partner soon recovers.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Lambada is a cautious and considerate poster! Considering I don?t even know what ?dvt' is, I wouldn?t even think about asking a pharmacist for the proper medication.

On another note, the strongest painkiler I?ve found was 800mg ibuprophin tablets for 25rd. Helped a ton with ligament pain.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Deep Vein Thrombosis - self-medication definitely not recommended. Tell us where you are and someone will recommend a good doctor in the area.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Please act quickly and responsibly as this is not something to be ignored, unfortunately I have first hand experience.
Heed the excellent advice provided by Lambada and Chirimoya.

Wishing him well.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Lambada is a cautious and considerate poster! Considering I don?t even know what ?dvt' is, I wouldn?t even think about asking a pharmacist for the proper medication.

On another note, the strongest painkiler I?ve found was 800mg ibuprophin tablets for 25rd. Helped a ton with ligament pain.

Is that not the same as 4 regular stength 200 mg ibuprophin? It should cost a lot less than 25rd. Anyone living in the DR needs a Costco contact in the USA to send them those big bottles of pain killers dirt cheap. Dominicans pay so much for these things at the colmado when they buy them two at a time, its sad.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Is that not the same as 4 regular stength 200 mg ibuprophin? It should cost a lot less than 25rd. Anyone living in the DR needs a Costco contact in the USA to send them those big bottles of pain killers dirt cheap. Dominicans pay so much for these things at the colmado when they buy them two at a time, its sad.

In the perfect world, your "connection" suggestion would have validity...people who have very few options have to sink or swim. If one knows no other way, one is no worse off.

Also, a "dirt cheap" bottle of pills can become quite price when factroing in shipping costs!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
In the perfect world, your "connection" suggestion would have validity...people who have very few options have to sink or swim. If one knows no other way, one is no worse off.

Also, a "dirt cheap" bottle of pills can become quite price when factroing in shipping costs!

Every time I come I bring several big bottles of generic tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin and various vitamins. I think its one of the best things we can give to Dominican Families. Although they would rather have cell phones and ipods etc.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Every time I come I bring several big bottles of generic tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin and various vitamins. I think its one of the best things we can give to Dominican Families. Although they would rather have cell phones and ipods etc.

Very true, and their prices cant be beat.

Please ensure you give them clear instructions as far as dose goes. I have done this too but only when I know for sure they understand the aforementioned clearly.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i would call a doctor and get some vicodin or percoset or the like. I was in DR last week and got REALLY REALLY sick. The doc made two house calls and gave me some great meds. Two house calls and all those meds cost me just over 100 USD (i couldnt get that here in the us WITH insurance).

If your friend is really sick and in real pain...dont mess around. I was really impressed with the doctor my hotel got me. (and i am sure you can get a better rate if you are not a tourist) good luck!