Book review

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I just finished a book that deals with Sosua and P. Plata. The title is In Search of the Perfect Whore: A Romp through the Dominican Republic. It is NOT a graphic Xrated book but rather one man's trials and tribulations of time spent on the north coast. The author has a dry sense of humor with his philosophical sermons which may bore the uneducated but I suggest to simply skip those parts if you just desire to read the quirps about the interesting ex-pats and locals who blend together in their interesting lives. As a person who spends 4 months a year in Sosua I actually had the feeling I was there interacting with the characters in the book. I could not put the book down and suggest it to anyone who knows about or lives in P. Plata or Sosua!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Is this non fiction or fiction? I saw it and it seemed to be a fiction book. I usually only read non fiction.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is this non fiction or fiction? I saw it and it seemed to be a fiction book. I usually only read non fiction.
The author is a real person who has lived on and off in Sosua for a long long time.
The OP recommends the book as good reading, and that may be so, assuming the topic interests you.
I have not read it myself, nor do I intend to, but I can tell you that some who have, speculate that it is somewhere between fact & fiction, ie: embellished fact.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Book

It is a book based on the author's actual experiences in the DR from relationships to the process of building and buying property. He has changed the names of some of the characters but they are actually real people and the events are exerpts from his time there. Damn....how much does a book review person get in NYC......well I just like to read and visit the DR.....4 more years til retirement and will be there full time!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is a book based on the author's actual experiences in the DR from relationships to the process of building and buying property. He has changed the names of some of the characters but they are actually real people and the events are exerpts from his time there. Damn....how much does a book review person get in NYC......well I just like to read and visit the DR.....4 more years til retirement and will be there full time!
It is based on actual experiences.
I think the title of the book makes it clear what the main topic is, so like I said, it may be good reading for those who are interested in that subject matter.

J

John Evans

sounds most distasteful ...why did he chose a title like that -it must put off a lot of readers

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sounds most distasteful ...why did he chose a title like that -it must put off a lot of readers
It is so titled to attain his target market.
Clearly, if one is not interested in finding a perfect whore, this book would be of little interest, perhaps even distasteful.
That being said, those who do have an interest in the theme, may find it great reading, as did the OP.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
book

Well I do strongly disagree to the title of this book as it is not a man's romp looking for utopia in the way of a whore! There are relationships he has and many discussions with the ex pats about women but it is NOT in my opinion,after actually reading the book, the proper title for the book as most of the book deals with everyday life such as going down to the port and meeting new arrivals into P. Plata who have docked their boats, the festivals and politics in the DR, the judicial and legal system and the graft involved,experiences with building a house and remodeling property and family life in the DR, My personal opinion is that the author should have just had a simple title like My Experiences in the DR.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'll have to pick it up. I typically don't like the writing style of fiction books that's why I asked.

Thanks

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
book

I would love to hear your opinion after you read the book....again, there is a bit of philosophical sermons that may be different from what you are used to reading....but a light easy reading book quite like Ginnies!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well I do strongly disagree to the title of this book as it is not a man's romp looking for utopia in the way of a whore!
Well that's encouraging.
It will be interesting to hear what others think.
I do know that the author worked on it for many years, so he did put his heart & soul into it.
The title was enough for me to want to avoid it, but you're assessment sheds new light.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have read it and reviewed it at length elsewhere. I will only touch on those points mentioned above:

1) How much embellishment of the truth there is I am not sure, but what is clear is that he has compressed his most interesting experiences of a decade or more into what reads as a two-year timespan. One pointer to this is the inconsistency of peso pricing, drawn from very different epochs in the DR economy.

2) Although I have a reasonable knowledge of Puerto Plata and Sos?a, I hardly recognised any locations. That may be because they are all long closed (the action in the book appears to terminate about a decade ago) or it may be that he deliberately disguised them.

3) The so-called "philosophical discussions" are the bar-stool ravings of semi-educated habitual drinkers and the already drunk and have no intrinsic worth. They do however accurately and amusingly portray the male chauvinistic tone such conversations tend to take as well as the "I could have been a contender" chip-on-the-shoulder anecdotes one hears so often from drunken ex-pats.

4) The book is no use as a local guide or primer on living in the DR. For the latter get Ginnie Bedggood's "Quisqueya".

5) The title is misleading and the ending is both a cop-out and quite insightful, in that after a decade of more of bedding Dominican chicas and commending their qualities the hero eventually plumps for a "North American" type beauty queen as his "perfect" whore.

6) It is a couple of years since I read it but I believe I am correct in saying that there is no mention of Haitians, Haitian culture, Haitian whores or Haitian workers, something that would be impossible to omit if one were writing an account of the North Coast today.

7) If you are a single male who likes the chicas you may find this a mildly amusing read. The only chapter of "professional" standard is an account of a drunken burial at sea which had me laughing aloud. I cannot see anyone else who would be too interested.

8) All the American (U.S.) characters in it come across as utterly obnoxious. Loud, mean, spiteful and bullying. Whether that was intended as satire or whether the author takes those qualities for granted I am not sure.

9) The author "vanity" published it himself because no conventional publisher would touch it with a bargepole. It isn't good enough and it is too politically incorrect. To get a copy go to
iUniverse - Self Publishing Company

10) The book is quite nicely produced, well-printed on good paper with decent margins unlike most "vanity" productions.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you London.
Very elaborate reply.
The only comment I might have is that it would be possible to have no interaction with Haitians.
I have none and have been here for 17 years.
It's not by choice or decision.
I simply don't happen to know any nor interact with any in business.

J

John Evans

i think he was meaning haitian ladies of the night would be hard to avoid nowadays
Rocky my little suet dumpling

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Marco...I am glad that you are now open minded about the book. Do you know the author?