What are your favorite restaurants, with "reasonable" prices in Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

apostropheman

What are your favorite restaurants, with "reasonable" prices, in Sosua?

The assumption being that the food is excellent, the atmosphere is pleasing, etc...and that the prices will not offend the majority of customers.

If they are particularly wonderful for breakfast or dinner, or for certain food types, please include that info as well.

Thanks and bon app?tit

A

apostropheman

For "Dominican" food I've often eaten at Suzana's and found it to be excellent and a great bargain. It's wonderful for lunch and you need to get there relatively early as it is very popular. Rice, beans, your choice of meat for approx 100 pesos, mas o menos, plus beverage.

I understand that the normal location is/was under renovation, although it may be complete now, and the temporary location was across the street where Bogey's was, on Pedro Clisante.

If anyone can confirm the current status and define the location better please do so. :)

Highly recommended! :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny: (I give it 4 bunnies :D)

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
It's across the street in a apartment complex Villa something (helpful huh...)
but across the street any way.

Oh - only lunch I believe.

J

John Evans

I used to recommend el chocos but it seems to have gone off since it was taken over- i cant put my finger on whats changed but its not the same...plus the phallic bananas are a bit of a worry hanging above your head

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I agree with John, El Chocos.

This was just covered in the last couple of months. Try the Search.

Regards, Ringo

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Suzana's has reopened in the old place, but i looks like it's more like a bar / cafe now, think the restaurant part is still across the street inside Villa Flore , but not 100 % sure about that.

A

apostropheman

Thanks Tor,

It would be excellent if she could manage both locations. I really like the Villa Flor location and it would be a huge improvement in the atmosphere while eating. The original location across Perdo Clisante would be great for a bar/cafe IMO.

It's my favorite, non-beach location, for Dominican food.
Suzana's has reopened in the old place, but i looks like it's more like a bar / cafe now, think the restaurant part is still across the street inside Villa Flore , but not 100 % sure about that.

A

apostropheman

For a 2nd location to discuss may I suggest Baily's (sp).

I've eaten many a meal there in the evening and find the combination of food, service, atmosphere and value keep me returning...as well as the very cute chicas tending the bar :D

The salad bar, while not particularly large, is a welcome bonus. I can't think of anywhere else in Sosua that has one except El Toro.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Pico Pollo Anthony's is very good for a local flair.

Fried Chicken, pork , beef etc for 90 pesos

Next to the dive shop in Sosua, however, ever since they are now in competition with PJ's for the Comida you get more Meat for your money there, provided you give the server the RD 10 as a propina.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I like Rocky's and Britannia.

I like Rocky's ribs and I really like the Kentucky style chicken.
The home fries are good too.

At Britannia I like the fish and chips. Nice battered fillet of sea bass and good fries.
The sea bass is good too but I don't really care for the sauce. I scrape the sauce off and put on some lime. Nice baked fillet with mashed papas and veggies.

I don't like either of their wings.
Too small and dry for me. I think they were over-cooked.

A

apostropheman

Thanks Mike,

I'm not yet familiar with this place but I do luv the local version of slow cooked chicken available from the open air BBQ's.

My favorite is east of the Europa Hotel on the same side of Pedro Clisante, NE corner I think.

Seems to me it's about 100 pesos for half a chicken with sides of yucca, onions, plantano, etc...available.

Wonderful stuff and again a very popular location!

another :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:'s out of a possible 5 :D
Pico Pollo Anthony's is very good for a local flair.

Fried Chicken, pork , beef etc for 90 pesos

Next to the dive shop in Sosua, however, ever since they are now in competition with PJ's for the Comida you get more Meat for your money there, provided you give the server the RD 10 as a propina.

A

apostropheman

I do not get to eat at the Britannia much due to there being too many other possible options and my more regular places getting favoritism :D, however I have enjoyed my meals, and drinks there.

At Britannia I like the fish and chips. Nice battered fillet of sea bass and good fries.
The sea bass is good too but I don't really care for the sauce. I scrape the sauce off and put on some lime. Nice baked fillet with mashed papas and veggies.

I don't like either of their wings.
Too small and dry for me. I think they were over-cooked.
I suspect that the size of the wings is due to what is available through the suppliers and not due to any choice of the restaurants. The only place that I've seen larger style wings is at The Shark Bar and I understand that they are specially imported. The cost to the customer is also much higher IIRC, although they are tasty :).

A

apostropheman

I'm so glad you mentioned Rocky's!

I LOVE Rocky's and make no secret of it!
(Do a search for "apostropheman", I dare ya! :cheeky:)

It's my favorite and almost exclusive place for breakfast. I've tried other places but keep returning. After 4 years Sonia does not even really need to ask what I want...but she still does...cuarenta? :D The service is excellent and keeps getting faster.

I really like the pizza and the garlic or lime chicken, or both at the same time, can't be beat!
Try the veal!

As good as the food is, and it's very good, it's the atmosphere fueled by other customers that really makes Rocky's home for me. I have met most of my local friends there, starting off with the infamous Rocky himself and many others...who know who they are. :cheeky::bunny:

It's a great place to eat and meet other like minded people.

Rocky's gets :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:! (5 out of 5 :))

I like Rocky's ribs and I really like the Kentucky style chicken.
The home fries are good too.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Baily's now has a cafeteria in the space next to the restaurant serving Dominican food. Delicious, reasonable and fast. Also, the little cabana on the water next to the waterfront serves a great bbq platter for two in the evenings.
It's on the side of the parking lot.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I don't dine much in Sosua but the food at Rocky's is real good. SPECIALLY THE RIBS!!!!!! I need to go back there as I have not been in a while.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I love Rocky's for the breakfast with the great whole grain bread and the big pot of coffee on the table and in the later stages of the day the pizza is outstanding! And I am originally from the northeast of USA....so that is kudos!!!! Sonia is the best unassuming host you can have and if you are lucky you can have some talk with the owner even if he seems busy in his crow's nest...he will introduce you to other locals and tourists and you can tell he is really genuine about meeting people from wherever! Give this place a shot...you will like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.