Mi Tattoo

Viejo Fuego

Feb 27, 2007
I was thinking about getting a tattoo that has to deal with both my Dominican & Haitian Creole Ancestory, I have no clue what to put on my body. Its a big decision and has alot of meaning behind so I'm asking my people (you) for help..

Thank you..

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Here try this man...It's an interesting idea to consider. I want to get something similar, but you are right, a tattoo is big. One Island

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here try this man...It's an interesting idea to consider. I want to get something similar, but you are right, a tattoo is big. One Island

Hmmm...you get that that tattoo you'll get lot's of people telling you it looks like Haitians want to have the whole island. Now if it had both the Dominican and Haitian flags represented on it, I think it would look sweet and you'd avoid the comments...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
One Island

Hmmm...you get that that tattoo you'll get lot's of people telling you it looks like Haitians want to have the whole island. Now if it had both the Dominican and Haitian flags represented on it, I think it would look sweet and you'd avoid the comments...

If people say that, then they are ignorant. I'm not really into what people say. Plus for as many people who would say negative things there would be a lot of people who would give me props for it. My thing is that it's one island, you know. "Ayiti" thats what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. The whole flag concept would be cool too, but at the end the flags represent divisions and I want the concept of "one." Call me crazy, but I would welcome the comments as a way to educate. I do it everyday anyways...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK dude, you do whatever you want to do. I'm just telling you what's going to happen. The one island thing is cool and I think people will be OK with it. I would just change the colors to be the colors of the flags of both countries...that's my opinion and of course you can just ignore it...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Parsley

why parsley?

Its a reference to the Parsley Massacre of 1937? when Trujillo ordered the murder of thousands of Haitians on the Dominican/Haiti border. No real figures can verify the number of Haitians killed but estimates range between 15,000 to 30,000. Some "dark" Dominicans were also victims of the violence. It's still a sore spot between Haiti and the DR and the DR hasn't "officially" apologized for it.

The reason its called the Parsley massacre is because the Haitians were asked to say the Spanish word for parsley (perejil) and if they pronounced it incorrectly they would be classified as Haitians and killed. Look it up online. Tons of info.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Will do

OK dude, you do whatever you want to do. I'm just telling you what's going to happen. The one island thing is cool and I think people will be OK with it. I would just change the colors to be the colors of the flags of both countries...that's my opinion and of course you can just ignore it...

thank you ...

Viejo Fuego

Feb 27, 2007
Its a reference to the Parsley Massacre of 1937? when Trujillo ordered the murder of thousands of Haitians on the Dominican/Haiti border. No real figures can verify the number of Haitians killed but estimates range between 15,000 to 30,000. Some "dark" Dominicans were also victims of the violence. It's still a sore spot between Haiti and the DR and the DR hasn't "officially" apologized for it.

The reason its called the Parsley massacre is because the Haitians were asked to say the Spanish word for parsley (perejil) and if they pronounced it incorrectly they would be classified as Haitians and killed. Look it up online. Tons of info.

I've heard about that, but I wouldn't put that symbol on my body, its offensive to many people.

Jan 5, 2006
Have you picked a tattoo artist yet? Maybe you can explain your idea to him/her and have it developed further from there. I would think that you can get something like the whole island with parts of both flags morphing into a single flag.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Have you picked a tattoo artist yet? Maybe you can explain your idea to him/her and have it developed further from there. I would think that you can get something like the whole island with parts of both flags morphing into a single flag.

This is the best advice so far. If you get a tattoo artirst that is a REAL artist he will draw a few samples for you. If you are in NYC I can recommend a great one. He is Dominican and works in the east village.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
IMO, Get a temporary tattoo first to make sure you like it.

y0maris

Feb 18, 2007
I think Mr. Lu's suggestion is cool..think of something you want added to it to kind of make it more "personal" as well.
For years I've been trying to figure out a tattoo I can get to represent my heritage.
My mother is Dominican, my father is half Cuban, half-Panamanian.
I'm well versed in the aspects of my cultural history and roots, so i'm not just GETTING the tattoo to get it, i really want it to be meaningful.
I thought about a medium-large eagle (to sort of symbolize America), with the wings spread out equally. One wing would have the image of one of the flags, the other wing would be the other flag, and the body would be the 3rd flag. All faded in together nicely but not drawing attention away from any other part of it.
Like I said, i've had that image in my mind for sometime now, i just don't know..
and i'm not sure how i'd describe it to the tat artist when I'm ready to get it done.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
You should have the eagle literally clutching on to roots..would be cool!!
is this eagle in flight or perched?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Cool

I think Mr. Lu's suggestion is cool..think of something you want added to it to kind of make it more "personal" as well.
For years I've been trying to figure out a tattoo I can get to represent my heritage.
My mother is Dominican, my father is half Cuban, half-Panamanian.
I'm well versed in the aspects of my cultural history and roots, so i'm not just GETTING the tattoo to get it, i really want it to be meaningful.
I thought about a medium-large eagle (to sort of symbolize America), with the wings spread out equally. One wing would have the image of one of the flags, the other wing would be the other flag, and the body would be the 3rd flag. All faded in together nicely but not drawing attention away from any other part of it.
Like I said, i've had that image in my mind for sometime now, i just don't know..
and i'm not sure how i'd describe it to the tat artist when I'm ready to get it done.

Dood, the Eagle idea sounds cool! I thought of something similar, but the Eagle would have been to big and I want something smaller. But if I do the full back Tat I want, I would go with an Eagle type of deal. Good luck.

y0maris

Feb 18, 2007
You should have the eagle literally clutching on to roots..would be cool!!
is this eagle in flight or perched?

I'm picturing the eagle in flight, with wings spread .

Dood, the Eagle idea sounds cool! I thought of something similar, but the Eagle would have been to big and I want something smaller. But if I do the full back Tat I want, I would go with an Eagle type of deal. Good luck.

Thank ya. I'm a woman by the way! lol
Well yeah, I don't want the eagle humongous or anything, but then again, a small eagle may not look right, just because of the symbolism. Well if you DO end up going for an eagle, do take pictures and post! <3 Ciao bello