illegal activities

montanapine

Mar 2, 2008
i'm considering taking my teenage son to the riu merengue resort near puerto plata but I am somewhat concerned as I have been reading/hearing stories of illegal drugs being sold to tourists on the beaches both at the resort and sosua....can anyone tell me more about this?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I dont mean to burst your bubble and I dont know where you hail from but if your sons are teenagers, they have likely had exposure to drugs in or outside of their school.

As far as the hotel goes, we have stayed there and it is a lovely resort.

Good luck

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i'm considering taking my teenage son to the riu merengue resort near puerto plata but I am somewhat concerned as I have been reading/hearing stories of illegal drugs being sold to tourists on the beaches both at the resort and sosua....can anyone tell me more about this?
I don't have any experience with it, but the drug scene is a growing thing and it's so very risky in this country, as the penalties can be extremely long prison sentences.
I don't know what to advise you, except to put the fear of God in him and hope for the best, as there are drugs all over the world and you can't be overseeing him 24/7.
If it would help, we could describe what a Dominican jail is like and you could show him the posts.
That may take his drug appetite away.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I don't have any experience with it, but the drug scene is a growing thing and it's so very risky in this country, as the penalties can be extremely long prison sentences.
I don't know what to advise you, except to put the fear of God in him and hope for the best, as there are drugs all over the world and you can't be overseeing him 24/7.
If it would help, we could describe what a Dominican jail is like and you could show him the posts.
That may take his drug appetite away.

Good strategy Rocky regarding the Dominican jail scene.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Having "bin there done that"?

If they don't know by now "don't do drugs", we/no one can not help.

BTW: Daughter.. now 32 with and now PG with our second grandkid..... both concieved in the DR... NEVER did drugs. I was a real hard ass.

Regards, Ringo

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It may sound simplistic, but you need to tell anyone in your party to steer clear of anyone offering drugs.

The moment the person brings the topic up, walk away and do not ever speak to or look at them again. They will get the hint and will leave you alone.

These are people you do not need to even acknowledge in a casual manner.

montanapine

Mar 2, 2008
i didn't mean to imply my son was into drugs, he is quite anti drug and a very promising football player. I just dont want him harrassed by locals peddling drugs if i decided to let him go aroound a bit on his own. I've heard that it is difficult to walk down street/beach in cofresi or sosua without being offered drugs for sale. is that the case?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i didn't mean to imply my son was into drugs, he is quite anti drug and a very promising football player. I just dont want him harrassed by locals peddling drugs if i decided to let him go aroound a bit on his own. I've heard that it is difficult to walk down street/beach in cofresi or sosua without being offered drugs for sale. is that the case?
Not that I know of.
Let's wait for other opinions.
I live here and these guys usually know better than to offer me any.
I've only had 2 offers in 17 years.

A

apostropheman

Not in my experience although I've never been to Cofresi nor am I a teen anymore.

I've been casually offered illegal things while walking in the DR but never in a particularly pushy way. I either ignore the person asking or say no and keep moving.

that should also work for him and most other people.

montanapine

Mar 2, 2008
thanks for info rocky, it is appreciated. don't really want to take my sons somewhere they would be afraid

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not a question of being afraid.
This morning I sat in my car, windows open, light on reading a book while listening to some good blues.....at 5:30!! Not a worry in the world.

Listen there are some stereotypes here and one of them is that US teens do drugs. So the local drug cops could well target a nice big kid with a drug snare. The real drug dealers also have the same stereotype in their minds.

Now, I have to admit that I have not been to that beach is years and years, but I sort of doubt that there are throngs of drug dealers offering narcotics to everyone they see, as if they were peddling seashell trinkets...

I'd tell the kid to be aware of the stereotype; to be totally confident in telling anyone that even implies something illegal or irregular to go and f*ck off!!

Look, this is a really laid back place where kids drink and dance until the dawn, but generally speaking, they do it without drugs (except the alcohol...)...

I would not hesitate to have fun yourself, and let the guy roam...We raised 11 and we did not have problems with this issue.

HB

J

John Evans

they would most likely be offered drugs in most holiday resorts if they walk around on their own-no worse here than your hometown

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Listen there are some stereotypes here and one of them is that US teens do drugs. So the local drug cops could well target a nice big kid with a drug snare. The real drug dealers also have the same stereotype in their minds.

Tell your kids to leave real fast and not look back if offered. A little in the DR could go a long way if someone wants to prove a point.

Notribao

Mar 1, 2008
I have 1 offer in 15 days, in taxi. But if you say no that means no for them. And you can`t observe your son for whole day/week.mounth/year/life. I think it will be enough just to talk to him seriously.

Jan 5, 2006
I have been to this particular resort with my sons; one of which is a teen; and I have no hesitation in letting him wonder around on his own. If your son knows right from wrong, he should know to just say no and quickly move along.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've lived here 15 years & have not been offered drugs once, but then I'm not a teen & I'm not a tourist. My guess is that on the Riu Merengue beach your son is much more likely to be hassled by vendors selling tourist stuff & girls wanting to braid his hair (yes even teenage boys hair! :cheeky:), or even someone offering him a girlfriend than drug vendors. If approached he should of course say no (as those above have said) & make to alert a hotel security person. In the most unlikely event that the vendor doesn't immediately leave, I suggest your son should make with his camera to get a pic (tourists carry cameras, yes?) & I promise you this will have any drug vendor disappearing very quickly. That beach isn't going to be exactly empty of other English speaking guests - if he is really stuck & not near you there will be other parent figures among the guests & he can always go & talk to them. This in itself will send drug vendors packing because they tend to do individual sales rather than presentations to family groups ;).

Frankly, I doubt that he would get one single drug offer in that location.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Safer than at home

We have been to the DR 3 times in the last year. Twice at resorts and the last time in and around Sosua. Lots of time on the beach and most nights down town for dinner and some dancing and we never have been approached by anyone trying to sell us drugs of any kind. I doubt I could pull that off downtown here in Canada. Now if only everyone ELSE would quit trying to sell us stuff........ *smile*:squareeye