wild fruits -cape gooseberries

J

John Evans

Do they grow wild in the Dominican Republic ...ive got loads of plants that look like them growing in the field near me....i would hate to eat something toxic lol ....they are like paper lanterns with a pea inside - green in colour...i presume they arent ripe- i wish i knew what i could safely eat here that grows wild

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Wonderful things, Cape Gooseberries. I always thought they were named for Cape Town where I spent a large part of my life. The best jam, the best eating when ripe and just the best chutney imaginable.

The gooseberry is like a paper lantern outside .. but inside, it is larger than a pea. Inside, about as large as a ?uhm, my husband says as large as someones a'hole. ;) When they are ripe, they are between yellow and orange, with hundreds of small seeds and tastes a little tart. Made into jams, jellies, chutneys and stuff, just wonderful. I've never seen them grow wild in the DR.

Take some photos already!

Last edited:

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I have many of these paper lantern plants at my finca and thought they were nice little specimens, scattered about the fence line. But now after reading this last post, not sure I can look at them in the same way. How can you compare plants, a pea like fruit to someones .........(insert word here), especially if it may be edible?
Baffled beyond belief...

J

John Evans

im trying to avoid the image ....but do they go ripe ....the ones in the field were cut down by the farmers so i dont know

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Although I find myself to be an easy going person, not too sensitive, have tolerance and understanding, enjoy laughter and good wit, this post makes me cringle....:ermm:

capegooseberry_220_220x180.jpg

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Although I find myself to be an easy going person, not too sensitive, have tolerance and understanding, enjoy laughter and good wit, this post makes me cringle....:ermm:

capegooseberry_220_220x180.jpg

I think you mean "cringe";)....but dont worry, improper use of the English language has the same effect on me!

Chris, great analogy btw!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Recently someone referred to these as Ground Cherries. I believe they are native to Brazil. Just be careful before you eat that it is not a poisonous thing, there may be a similar looking thing that is poisonous.

Last edited:

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
In Canada we refer to these as Ground Cherries in English and cerises de terre in French (meaning ground cherries) I have never seen these in the DR though. They are in the same family as tomatillos which grow well in tropical climates. It is very possible that what you have in the DR is a close cousin to the gooseberry and the tomatillo. I still don't recommend you eat it without finding out more though. Maybe you could test it on a neighbour's dog ;)
Just Joking