Crossbow

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
From my understanding a crossbow is not a firearm in the D.R. and readily available without a license. Check a gun shop on that though.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
In addition to this thread, I've seen quite a few others asking for information on bringing in weapons to the DR, be they guns, knives, or TASERs.

Yet the number of violent crimes against expats and tourists (where self defense would be necessary) seems to be extraordinarily low.

My question for those who have or desire to bring in a weapon is, why do you believe it is necessary to import a weapon?

Do you believe that you should have a weapon as a matter of principle, or do you think the incidents of violence, particularly against expats, warrants such a decision?

Also, are there any people who didn't have a weapon when they first arrived, who are now thinking of getting one? Why?

I'm not interested in anyone making judgments about who is "right." As a fan of DR who spends considerable time outside the tourist sectors, I'd just like to better understand your concerns. Thanks.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Regarding the crossbow question, I replied as if the question was whether one needed a license or other paperwork in order to purchase one in the D.R.

Importing a weapon is not possible as fasr as I know, if for nothing else, because of the duties that it would entail, and the need for residency.

As far as owning/carrying in the D:R., I think it is a good idea for home protection and also if one travels by road at night, especially in remote areas, in case of a breakdown, etc.
Many private vessels carry firearms aboard, and when checking in with the commandante, are required to check them in while in country. They are returned upon being granted your exit papers.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
He wants to know about a crossbow. It's a bow and arrow with a rifle stock. People use it for hunting. It's not a firearm.

I have no idea what the laws are in the DR but it's not a not considered a firearm here.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
In addition to this thread, I've seen quite a few others asking for information on bringing in weapons to the DR, be they guns, knives, or TASERs.

Yet the number of violent crimes against expats and tourists (where self defense would be necessary) seems to be extraordinarily low.

My question for those who have or desire to bring in a weapon is, why do you believe it is necessary to import a weapon?

Do you believe that you should have a weapon as a matter of principle, or do you think the incidents of violence, particularly against expats, warrants such a decision?

Also, are there any people who didn't have a weapon when they first arrived, who are now thinking of getting one? Why?

I'm not interested in anyone making judgments about who is "right." As a fan of DR who spends considerable time outside the tourist sectors, I'd just like to better understand your concerns. Thanks.

Archery with Bow and Crossbow is a very relaxing activity. That's the reason for asking.
As for self defense. I relly on
a: My dogs
b: Low profile ( as far as possible); no big new car, no flashing with juwels/cash,....
c: Close combat techniques learned and used for real in a previous life

Greetings

Johan