where else do DR1'rs travel to?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Just got back from DR a few days ago. I still love it as always. But i am thinking that I'd like to go somewhere different on my next trip.

Costa Rica? Panama? Spain? Brazil?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
let me ask you, sorry for confusion and I apologize in advance: aren't you the gay person who was asking gay info on DR?
But if you are in to women then forget about all the above places you have mentioned, just go to colombia and you will forget DR.
AZB

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
let me ask you, sorry for confusion and I apologize in advance: aren't you the gay person who was asking gay info on DR?
But if you are in to women then forget about all the above places you have mentioned, just go to colombia and you will forget DR.
AZB

I don't know if Columbia is a good place to go right now with Equador and Venezuala moving troops to their border.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Brasil is beautiful.......

just be very careful if going to Rio!!
Also make sure you have your yellow fever vaccination up to date as they've just had their first major outbreak in 7 years.

Argentina has a very varied topography and is well worth a visit, especially if you go to Iguazu Falls........spectacular! Truly impressive. (great wines there also!!)

Grenada, although fairly small, is a warm freindly place with beautiful countryside. (English speaking also!;)).

Uruguay has a lovely beach city called Punta del Este where many Argentinians vacation. Montevideo was worthwhile exploring.

Some of the other islands were also very pretty (ie. Dominica (recommended if you are a diver).

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Just got back from DR a few days ago. I still love it as always. But i am thinking that I'd like to go somewhere different on my next trip.

Costa Rica? Panama? Spain? Brazil?

France or Spain for The Kid's next trip.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Haiti is my getaway... Best place ever (I am not kidding...)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Every summer we go to Europe for family reasons, but we'll probably give it a miss this year. :)

In the region, apart from work which has taken me to practically every country between the US and Peru, we've been to PR and Cuba. Would like to visit Curacao - I have relatives there, and Trinidad sounds like it might be interesting too.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have been to Europe (Hungary, Austria) , Asia (Uzbekistan), Middle East (Egypt), Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg, etc.) , Canary Islands (off the coast of Africa).

DR, Bahamas and Hawaii are the places closes to the US I visited so far ...

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
In the last year I have been to the Bahamas, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands(US and UK). And of course the D.R. All of them have their great points, but for vacation for the casual traveler I would rule out Venezuela and Colombia for the time being. Too dangerous compared to the others listed above.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
AZB....it doesnt have to be gay (yes i am ..but i wasnt the poster asking about gay friendly spots in DR...i merely defended that persons post).

I like DR cuz its an easy and affordable flight for me (3.5 hrs non stop). I like where i stay because i can get a mix of beach (total beach bum here and love to snorkle)...but then i can also go to the capital if i want some urban life.

I also travel to the DR more to see the friends that I have made there over the years. But as much as i love just sitting in my friends back yard sipping brugal and presidentes....i'd like to see something a BIt different

I think i want to still go to a spanish speaking country. I dont want a really long flight. and of course it has to be affordable.

but my question wasnt to be about me. I just thought it would be interesting to see where other people like to travel to.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Colombia is safe (yes safe) cheaper than DR in most cities and people will treat you with respect, not to mention, you would be able to hold a intellectual conversation with the locals there.
I say colombia is for me. I can't wait to go there again.
AZB

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
USA, Habana, Jibacoa (Cuba), Athens, Corinthos, Sparta, Hydra (Greece), Riga (Latvia), Moscow (Russia), Kishiniev (Moldavia), Lvov, Bukowina-Chernovski (Ukraine), Tehran, Shiraz, Isfahan, Hamadan (Iran)

I'd like to visit Colombia, Puerto Rico, Chile and Spain.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
has anyone been to mexico? not cancun or the resort areas. My grandfather was from the ciudad de puebla...i've been thinking of checking that out...and i hear the food in veracruz is off da hook.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
jrzyguy said:
has anyone been to mexico? not cancun or the resort areas. My grandfather was from the ciudad de puebla...i've been thinking of checking that out...and i hear the food in veracruz is off da hook.
Veracruz cooking has some features in common with Dominican/Caribbean cuisine, I am told - they use platanos, for a start.

I've been to DF three times and to the south twice - Oaxaca, Chiapas, Campeche and Yucatan - stunning. I haven't been to Cancun but have visited Acapulco and Puerto Escondido on the Pacific coast. I've tried Poblano cooking (from Puebla) but haven't been there, yet. I really love Mexico, even Mexico City despite all its problems.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Have traveled to Croatia (born there) we have the most amazing beaches there as well -Prauge CA.-Austria-Germany-Italy-Tunis Africa-Hawaii-Cuba-DR-Mexico(Cancun & Mayan Riviera)-United States!!

I have no Desire to go to Jamaica although we have a trip planned for October off to Negril -to attend a wedding!

Still would love to go to French Polynesia's Bora bora island-Turks & Caicos- Spain & Puerto Rico.

Happy Travels

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In the last year I have been to the Bahamas, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands(US and UK). And of course the D.R. All of them have their great points, but for vacation for the casual traveler I would rule out Venezuela and Colombia for the time being. Too dangerous compared to the others listed above.

You've been to Colombia-what happened to you there that you deem it dangerous?

There is a clear border within the country itself, and you have no business going to the part of the country that is not under government control.

Unless you went there for some odd reason and got kidnapped(If you did, glad to have you back safe and sound!!!) I certainly would put Colombia above Mexico City and Venezuela in terms of safety.

I would say that the looming threat of violence overplayed by media sources and the fact that some travelers believe what they read about these latin american countries makes for the "chicken little" effect.

Go see other places!!! The DR isn't the only country in the world. And even though I love the DR I could see how it could get played out after a while, even if you're just going there for women, because they can get boring too.

You could only see El Monumento and hang out in El Conde so many times before it gets boring. Dominicans have a high boredom threshold, but some of us do not.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Pr

I would think that Puerto Rico fits your parameters, (close,beach, Sun, Spanish) The only downside is it is very expensive compared to the DR.

john

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I would think that Puerto Rico fits your parameters, (close,beach, Sun, Spanish) The only downside is it is very expensive compared to the DR.

john

yup...that is how i discovered DR years ago. I was trying to do a trip to PR...the smaller (and dumpier) hotels were running over 100 usd a night. My friend suggested DR and well...the rest is history.

PR doesnt grab my interest. (too similar to DR but more Americanized?) Personally (again..this thread is NOT about me)...i like DR cuz there is not a major american presense there and i like being in a totally different culture etc. (jeje..i dont just chill in BC...i do make it around).

I am in hopes that with new prez and fidel stepping down that Cuba might be a realistic option in the near future. now THAT i would LOVE to do b4 it changes too much

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
USA, Habana, Jibacoa (Cuba), Athens, Corinthos, Sparta, Hydra (Greece), Riga (Latvia), Moscow (Russia), Kishiniev (Moldavia), Lvov, Bukowina-Chernovski (Ukraine), Tehran, Shiraz, Isfahan, Hamadan (Iran)

I'd like to visit Colombia, Puerto Rico, Chile and Spain.

margaret,

You've visited some interesting places.