Paying my share for the La Mulata road ...

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I thought I'd go and pay my $750US today, but seeing as I'm tighter than a fishes back-side, and just a tiny tad sceptical I was wondering if any other DR1'ers have paid up yet or am I the only one daft enough?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Paid up and proud!!

I paid my money, and I got a receipt that didn't have no.1 written on it!! Apparently work starts NEXT WEEK!!!!!!

Come on all you La Mulata residents, it's time to put up the money. Oddly, I am now wondering what I'm going to have to talk about once it's fixed.....

There are also some payment plans for those who would prefer to budget the cost. Just ask when you go to the town hall.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Simon & Nicky

Could you divulge the approximate length of road being resurfaced and the total cost?

You could pm me if you do not want it to be public knowledge.

Thanks

Gary

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Well done, Simon! We will happily pay our share on our next visit- hopefully we won't get the receipt immediately following yours. Kudos to all who have brought this so close to reality!

Now a question- is the fee the same for all property owners on the road? Not that it changes my opinion of the project, but just out of curiousity. Thanks!

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
The total cost of replacing the road, drainage system, and lighting is $13.000.000 rd. It will begin at the highway and continue through the main road of La Mulata 1, 2, 3 and 4. The road will be guaranteed for 10 years.

The monies collected are being held in a seperate account and withdrawals require the 3 signatures of Vladimir, Guido Perdomo and the accountant for the city. The fee for each house is $750 US, Las Canas has been assesed $27.300 US and has paid! Schools and businesses are being assessed based on several criteria, but I can assure you it is fair and equitable. Make your payments today at city hall, ground floor, between 10:00 and 1:00.

The city is paying Approx $75.000 US and that will be placed in the account so as not to get used for any other project.

I certainly have a positive outlook for the completion of the road in a timely manner. A graph is being made to be placed at the bottom of the road, indicating how much money has been collected and what remains. Those of you who have been assessed, please pay as soon as you can and help us all out!

Anyone who has any questions, or comments, feel free to call me, Judy, 809-571-1994 or Sandi, 809-917-5355.

Thank you all for your support!

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
While this is a fantastic idea, I have to ask: how will you collect from the people who decide they won't pay? I imagine that will end up being at least 20% of the people involved. Will there still be enough funds to complete the project?

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
We tried to factor in all possibilities. There are some ways of "convincing" and collecting from the deadbeats, that is to be handled by the Mayor's office. I am trying to focus on positive results and not create a gestapo collection agency. Of course there are jerks in all aspects of life, like those who buy a condominium and then don't pay their maintenance fees. That is to be expected. I hope the road progresses in a fast and orderly mannor (this being the dominican republic taken into consideration). Please share my optimism. Attitude is 95% of result.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Not much to add right now except ...

I work close to the Town Hall and whenever I have wandered past the entrance it has been great to meet other neighbours who were leaving the building clutching their receipts and happy to stop and chat to other neighbours. The economics of the project have been discussed so many times before but the bottom line is so obvious I shouldn't need to spell it out but I will anyway:

1) I spend far more than $750 per year in repairs to the suspension on my car that I wonder if we are going to drive Greg's Garage out of business!

2) The value of property in the area is obviously going to rise by considerably more than the $750 contribution. I work in real estate and I know of deals that have fallen apart just because of the road situation. If I owned a house in La Mulata and was keen to sell I would be banging on the door of the town hall clutching my money. Furthermore, if I was looking to buy a piece of property right now I would be seriously considering La Mulata as a good opportunity to snap up a bargain because property serviced by the road is blighted by it's poor state.

3) Is there anyone out there at all who can honestly say that they have a better, cheaper, more practical solution? There have been dozens of meetings held by many dedicated people who have tirelessly researched every possible angle and out of several hundred hours worth of thinking and head bashing this is the best solution that they can find. I am amazed by the fact that the town hall has generously coughed up so much money to us "Gringo's" when they must be under huge pressure to redirect the money elsewhere that we would be insulting them if we didn't stick to "our side" of the bargain. This isn't some scheme to win votes - we don't vote! This isn't some little European or American suburb where funds can be easily drawn down from somewhere higher up the "food chain"! This is the real world where money matters and we have a once only opportunity to build something that we can all be proud of.

Come on everyone - Let's get this thing done - and can I suggest a street party when it's finished down at Las Canas for all us "payers"?

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Well said, Simon. So far, residents have contributed 1.846.393 pesos! Not bad for a couple of days receipts. Sandi is at the ayuntamiento office right now if anyone else is ready to pay. Looks like we can get construction under way next week!!!

As for the "street party", I would be happy to host it! However I want everyone to know that not a peso would be taken from the road account for such an event! Strictly a fun get together to celebrate our success! I can't wait to be able to get the 1.7 km from the highway to Las Canas in less than 9 minutes! Woohoo, what a ride that will be!

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Just a quick question. Where is La Mulata, and what is it? Is it a town, or a condo or other housing development/neighborhood? I may be moving to, or at least buying a place, in the DR in a year or two and am interested to know about housing areas.

Thanks,

Pedro Tercero

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just a quick question. Where is La Mulata, and what is it? Is it a town, or a condo or other housing development/neighborhood? I may be moving to, or at least buying a place, in the DR in a year or two and am interested to know about housing areas.

Thanks,

Pedro Tercero
It is one of the barrios/suburbs of Sosua.
It starts at the eastern end of town, South of the highway, going up the mountain to the top, more or less.

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Hi, Rocky -

Thanks for the info on La Mulata. Being on a mountainside, are there constant good breezes there?

Pedro Tercero

J

John Evans

not constant but definately more than in town- its pretty windy now

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Just for the edification of one who can't be there to witness it- has the work actually started this week? Thanks!

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Update! The first peice of equipment arrived today at noon. More equipment is arriving and being parked at the International School right now! The grader will make it's first trip Monday! I believe, yes, I believe!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Update! The first peice of equipment arrived today at noon. More equipment is arriving and being parked at the International School right now! The grader will make it's first trip Monday! I believe, yes, I believe!
Kudos to you all who have paid their share to fix the road up.
I may not go up there often, but my car and I both appreciate it.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
It's True!!!

Loads of machinery is parked up outside the International School. Campesina - can you update our "slack" neighbours (the ones who said they would pay for sure once the work started) on how they can make their payments next week?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Loads of machinery is parked up outside the International School. Campesina - can you update our "slack" neighbours (the ones who said they would pay for sure once the work started) on how they can make their payments next week?
Perhaps a large painted sign at the entrance of La Mulata with the deadbeats' names might serve a purpose.