Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to make collect call POP to canada?

I am living in POP and need to contact my Canadian bank. They have a
    1-800 # (which doesnt work from here) and a 416 # which accepts collect calls. Have tried to dial 0 and 100 to no avail, and have been to Codetel where they told me its not possible to make collect calls from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...ie: how to contact a living human operator who may be able to help me? -the language is not a problem. Thanks in advance, K

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mme Kimberley View Post
    I am living in POP and need to contact my Canadian bank. They have a
    1-800 # (which doesnt work from here) and a 416 # which accepts collect calls. Have tried to dial 0 and 100 to no avail, and have been to Codetel where they told me its not possible to make collect calls from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...ie: how to contact a living human operator who may be able to help me? -the language is not a problem. Thanks in advance, K
    I'm surprised that one cannot make a collect call from here.
    I'm almost positive that I remember folks making collect calls from here, but not 100% sure.
    Have you tried just dialing 0, waiting for an operator and asking to make a collect call?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i was in SD last month and in PC in july and november and never had a problem making a collect call. i went through the operator like rocky suggested above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sascha View Post
    i was in SD last month and in PC in july and november and never had a problem making a collect call. i went through the operator like rocky suggested above.
    Thanks for confirming that.
    I was pretty sure, but as I never made one myself, I couldn't be 100% positive.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

PM me. I am in Puerto Plata and I have a Magic Jack which allows calls to the US and Canada at no charge - including 800 numbers. Perhaps you could come to my office in the morning or early afternoon.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
    PM me. I am in Puerto Plata and I have a Magic Jack which allows calls to the US and Canada at no charge - including 800 numbers. Perhaps you could come to my office in the morning or early afternoon.

What a kind and generous offer! I hope the OP checks back here soon.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you speak Spanish dial zero and tell the operator you want to call a number in Canada with "cobra revertido" (charges reversed).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
    If you speak Spanish dial zero and tell the operator you want to call a number in Canada with "cobra revertido" (charges reversed).
    I thought it was, "con cargos, por alla".
    Then again, I learned Spanish in the street.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I deal with the Royal Bank, and have called the 800 number on Skype. I didn't have to purchase Skype credit...I just dialed! Worked great!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP phoned me this morning about this (BushBaby had told her father we were available in case of emergencies ). I too was surprised that Codetel had said it wasn't possible & that she couldn't raise an operator so I advised going back & being firm (Guess that didn't work, eh Mme Kimberly? nor my suggestion to run through the gamut of assistance numbers until you got a person ). I also suggested that if all else failed she should email her bank & get them to phone her. But yes she could certainly use Skype for a 1-800 number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast