How to make collect call POP to canada?

Mme Kimberley

May 18, 2007
I am living in POP and need to contact my Canadian bank. They have a
1-800 # (which doesnt work from here) and a 416 # which accepts collect calls. Have tried to dial ?0? and ?100? to no avail, and have been to Codetel where they told me it?s not possible to make collect calls from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...ie: how to contact a living human operator who may be able to help me? -the language is not a problem. Thanks in advance, K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am living in POP and need to contact my Canadian bank. They have a
1-800 # (which doesnt work from here) and a 416 # which accepts collect calls. Have tried to dial ?0? and ?100? to no avail, and have been to Codetel where they told me it?s not possible to make collect calls from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...ie: how to contact a living human operator who may be able to help me? -the language is not a problem. Thanks in advance, K
I'm surprised that one cannot make a collect call from here.
I'm almost positive that I remember folks making collect calls from here, but not 100% sure.
Have you tried just dialing 0, waiting for an operator and asking to make a collect call?

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i was in SD last month and in PC in july and november and never had a problem making a collect call. i went through the operator like rocky suggested above.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i was in SD last month and in PC in july and november and never had a problem making a collect call. i went through the operator like rocky suggested above.
Thanks for confirming that.
I was pretty sure, but as I never made one myself, I couldn't be 100% positive.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
PM me. I am in Puerto Plata and I have a Magic Jack which allows calls to the US and Canada at no charge - including 800 numbers. Perhaps you could come to my office in the morning or early afternoon.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
PM me. I am in Puerto Plata and I have a Magic Jack which allows calls to the US and Canada at no charge - including 800 numbers. Perhaps you could come to my office in the morning or early afternoon.

What a kind and generous offer! I hope the OP checks back here soon.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If you speak Spanish dial zero and tell the operator you want to call a number in Canada with "cobra revertido" (charges reversed).

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I deal with the Royal Bank, and have called the 800 number on Skype. I didn't have to purchase Skype credit...I just dialed! Worked great!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The OP phoned me this morning about this (BushBaby had told her father we were available in case of emergencies :) ). I too was surprised that Codetel had said it wasn't possible & that she couldn't raise an operator so I advised going back & being firm (Guess that didn't work, eh Mme Kimberly? ;) nor my suggestion to run through the gamut of assistance numbers until you got a person :laugh:). I also suggested that if all else failed she should email her bank & get them to phone her. But yes she could certainly use Skype for a 1-800 number.

Mme Kimberley

May 18, 2007
Thks for the replies...I ended up getting my bank to call me and things worked much smoother. I am still learning the ropes here in the DR so appreciate the advice, and also the reminder that patience really is a virtue down here :glasses: