Be Careful!

Mikedi

Aug 29, 2007
I just want to let you know ....what happen Sunday, On Carnaval in Santo Domingo, we have been here for a couple of months, and we were told it was nice to see the Carnaval, So we where.... We got there before 4 o'clock and around 5.30 someone took muy husband money and a bit latter a crowed was fighting behind us, with the crowed my husband disappear, 5 minutes later I could him, about 5 meters away from me, and he was stabbed, fortunatelly he has put his arm in front, so his chest had a couple of small cuts...in his arm he had some stiches in an ambulance....(they took his cell phone)
I just sahre this with you as an experience, if I have known the danger I would not have gone there. I have live around the world and this is the first time we have this kind of experience!
Pease be careful
It will be good if you have emergency numbers in this site in case someone needs help!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
That's awful what happened to your husband and I'm glad he is ok, that must have been terrifying for you. It's sad when the happiest time and occasion can take a turn for the worst and become a tragedy.

You bring up a very good question, because you just never know what can happen, does #911 work for emergencies? I have no clue how or whom to call for emergency assistance if needed?
Even though you are surrounded by Locals that are more than willing to help, it is a very good idea to know these things.

wish you well

divad

Feb 27, 2008
2 emergency numbers...?

I remember reading other articles stating the emergency number in DR is 711. Is that true as well as 911?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, glad your husband is ok.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
911 is supposed to be the number for emergencies but as with other places (such as some cities in the States), the number is frequently busy. Then there is the actual trying to get an ambulance anywhere here. I think taking note to where they have an event's emergency station set up (ahead of time) is a prudent move.

Sorry this happened to you guys...how awful!

Our 17 year old son took one of the group buses to Carnival and as they were getting ready to return to Juan Dolio, gun fire broke out right next to the bus filled with teens. Three people were shot and many others very panicked. These are the types of events where things can get out of hand very rapidly--whether they are are here or the US (or anywhere). I understand that there were lots of security people (or those with shirts) but according to many, they weren't doing much to 'secure' the situation.

I hope your dh heals rapidly.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Last year, same city, same location, same carnaval. I was stuck in Santo Domingo waiting for the papers for my newly acquired vehicle and surprised by the carnaval. I stayed at a small hotel on Av. Independencia, the next parallel to the malecon. The street was full. Still I was surprised by the apparent peacefulness of the whole event (not comparable to Rio!). Yet, I am not a person who enjoys the masses and I have been around to much to really care to take risks. And as above poster reports, risks there are plenty.
So, I just spend the afternoon and better part of the evening chatting with the watchie of the hotel's parking lot. Some shoe shine boys also got to hang around and chipped in with stories relative to the events going on before us.
Well, we witnessed the PN stopping three teenagers over the time of 2 hours. The must have known them as they called them out at gun point by their name (XYZ, cono, venaca!). They searched them on the spot, found butcher sized knives and proceeded to give them a good whooping rite there in between the people "processing" until a furgonetta found way and they were loaded up.
The kids explained to me what I knew no different from other countries. In situations like these, with so many people, you do not realize by whom you are surrounded until you find out. People close find out what happened to too late.
In the same time, the shoe shine boys laughingly pointed out to me a group of big fat, ridiculously dressed Dom-Yolks. One of them carelessly waving a nice big video camera in one hand and a familiar sized Presidente in the other. The kids thought, they'd never get home WITH the camera, "... se la van a quital, tu vera... jajaja! Pariguayo!". Sure enough, not much later we saw them again, coming form the malecon... one brused and bleeding a little, no more beer and no more big shot camera. (The shoe shine kids, had staid with me and the watchie all the time, btw.).

Move yourselves accordingly, I thought(?)

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I feel bad for the OP, that being said the carnaval we have here in Santiago is much more family oriented, at least until the evening. There are always a bunch of kids about at the monumnent where the caravan passes by and I have yet to see any problems in the last two years.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Anywhere there is a crowd, there are potential problems... That is human... I usually avoid crowds...

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I should specify...the shooting incident was in La Vega not Santo Domingo (sorry for the confusion.)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Watch your phones (DR1 News)

National Police are reporting that in 2007 6,474 people had their cellular phones stolen, 32 were killed and 228 were raped in incidents involving cellular phone theft. Of the total victims, 4,480 were men and 1,996 were women and of those killed 29 were men and 3 were women. According to statistics, most of these thefts took place in Santo Domingo province (2,232) and in the National District (1,668) and a total of 1,690 occurred elsewhere.:paranoid:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There was at least one shooting death in Sto Domingo.
Funny, I was there to referee our National Judo Tournament and some of the competitors and i were talking about the Carnival that was going to take place that afternoon. NONE of them were going to go there. These guys, powerful and self-confident young men would not go near that place because of the violence. Go figure...

This sort of stuff will cost the country dearly....as it should.

I applaud the cops that whupped up on those kids with knives...they should do more of it!!

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
my thoughts go out to the OP an her Hubby.

but for real. THis could happen anywhere in the world and is not a Domincan phenom. Get thousands or rowdy people together and shyte is bound to happen.

I have been to the carnival parade on the malecon all by myself. I thought it was kinda tame and boring actually.

I tend to avoid big and crowded events here in nyc like the west indian day parade.

sorry to hear about this incident....but again..if you are going to attend such a big event you have to keep your wits about you...no matter what country you are in.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am very sorry to hear the experience of the OP and glad all is well. Just to substantiate that this type of reaction can happen anywhere, I would like to relate the story of what happened to my best friend's son whilst in Trafalgar Square, London a few years ago on New Year's Eve. He was 20something at the time, with friends in a big crowd, much joviality and suddenly he was confronted by a guy with a knife - he, and his friends, turned and 'ran like hell' - they were there just having a good time and awaiting the dawn of the New Year - obviously others had a different agenda.