last name question

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
My wife's last name is Jane Alpha Beta and my name is John Omega - we got married last month and my wife went to change her cedula & passport name to Jane Omega, but she has been told that she can only change her name to Jane Alpha de Omega - is that the case ? Can't she just change it to Jane Omega ?
Thank You

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Traditionally, in Spain and Latin American countries, women do not change their names upon marriage. The form used is the one that they told you...her name with de ........ (your last name) added.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
My wife's last name is Jane Alpha Beta and my name is John Omega - we got married last month and my wife went to change her cedula & passport name to Jane Omega, but she has been told that she can only change her name to Jane Alpha de Omega - is that the case ? Can't she just change it to Jane Omega ?
Thank You

In the DR the wife never loses the maiden name as in the States or UK.
So if your wife's name happens to be Ana Torres Colon and marries Jose Fuentes Perdomo, she becomes Ana Torres de Fuentes.

The family surname stays put always and is only lost after her first generation marries.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
thank you Pichardo.
But if she goes and requests to have only my last name next to "Jane" will they not do it ? I mean the "Torres de Fuentes" would be a logistical nightmare with the immigration etc...Any similar experiences ?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
thank you Pichardo.
But if she goes and requests to have only my last name next to "Jane" will they not do it ? I mean the "Torres de Fuentes" would be a logistical nightmare with the immigration etc...Any similar experiences ?

Not in the DR...

Once you petition for her to be admitted to the US as your wife, the last name that will be used in all her US documentation will be adjusted automatically to yours. They know how the DR's surname works already for ages there as well as in the UK (but here with the twist that can opt to keep it as it is).

As for her DR's Passport being X-X de Omega, won't be much of a problem always that your last name is listed on her passport as shown. The actual order of the surname lacks use in this case once she shows her documents as married.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
When foreign tourists get married here what happens? Does Jane First marrying Bill Second become Jane First de Second? :cheeky: Because, if not, there's your precedent...........

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
When foreign tourists get married here what happens? Does Jane First marrying Bill Second become Jane First de Second? :cheeky: Because, if not, there's your precedent...........

Yes it's exactly as it happens with the twist that foreigners must validate their marriage certificate with their consular reps in the country and as such the surname's musical chairs game stops there. Jane First de Second will become Jane Second in all her country's legal documentation and such, while in her Dominican marriage certificate she's listed as Jane First de Second!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Pichardo is correct as he explained it. This is what happened with my wife and she had no problem getting her residency in the US - the "de" was dropped in her US documents.