FYI - IRS Seminar-Gran Ventana

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
FYI in case anyone is interested in attending the IRS seminar being held at Gran Ventana (in Playa Dorada) on March 6, although the news article posted the start time as 8:30 p.m., it is 8:30 a.m. (not p.m.). Glad I asked when I called to make a reservation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is this designed to help US citizens living in DR or is it a way of the US IRS finding out which expats aren't paying all taxes due to IRS :cheeky: ? Just curious but also wondering if this is a trend which might be followed by other Embassies?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
For any American that is even thinking of going to this meeting I have a Bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Yes that's what I thought too but as no-one had commented I thought maybe the US citizens didn't want to, so, as a Brit. I thought I'd voice my........er........scepticism. The DR1 News item from yesterday is:

IRS visits PP
The United States Embassy in Santo Domingo and the American Chamber of Commerce is inviting US citizens residing abroad to attend a seminar by an IRS tax consultant. The seminar will take place at the Gran Ventana Hotel, located in the Playa Dorada complex, on 6 March 2008 from 8:30pm until 10:30pm. It will be followed by a question and answer session. Anyone interested in attending may call the American Chamber of Commerce in Puerto Plata at 809 586-4979 to confirm. In addition, the IRS consultant will be available on Thursday afternoon from 1pm to 5pm and Friday morning from 8am to 12pm for brief individual meetings with US taxpayers who need to discuss complex and specific issues in private. Individual meetings will be held at the Consular Agency in Puerto Plata. Please call 809 586-8017 or 809 586-8023 to make an appointment. The Consular Agency is located in Puerto Plata, Calle Villanueva esq. John F. Kennedy, 2nd floor of Edificio Abraxas.

which leads me to believe that IRS=what it normally means & isn't a Spanish abbreviation. ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They will be serving coffee, cake, and Cyanide gratis. Get there early.

rubia2

May 19, 2007
Thanks, Chiri, for pointing out that the seminar is in the morning, 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM. It's designed to help American citizens, not catch tax evaders. A couple months ago the Embassy brought over an expert on voting. The idea is to provide Americans who live here with information they need as US citizens.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I guess whoever went was sent to Guantamino until they paid all their Income Tax.

HELP! Somebody get me out of here!!! (lmao). No, just kidding. I actually had every intention of going and checking it out. That's why I posted the correct time. I have nothing to hide and pay my taxes on time. However, unforeseen business-related circumstances just would not allow me to get there.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
SKY
I guess whoever went was sent to Guantamino until they paid all their Income Tax.

As Larry the cable guy would say " Now that there is funny, I don't don't care who you are, that there is funny"!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by all US Expats who were unable to atend this Historic Event to have a brief, definitive report on what theIRS Representative had to say and convey to US Expats living here.

Did anyone attend? If you did, howabout a summaray ofwhat the"Seminar" was all about.

and to those who sought private consultations, if you would, a brief desctiption of the problem and the solutions offered.
It would not only be interesting, but informative as well. There may be others with similar questions and problems which would apply to your answers.

To the best of my knowledge, this is one of the FIRST EFFORTS put forth by our government in ANY ASSISTANCE program directed to EXPATS and is worth an analysis as to its effectiveness.

Does anyoe think the IRS got enough variety of requests to open an IRS OFFICE in either of the Consulates or at the Embassy?

I certainly hope so, since we need to get feedback from time to time on many of thequestions precipitated by their many regulations and IRS-speak contained therein.

All answers greatly appreciated by those who could not attend.

Texas Bill