Entry in the DR

M

monique

I'm a French Canadian woman who plans to move to the DR this fall. This is all foreign to me and I need some questions answered.
1. Do I just buy a 1 or 2 week ticket and not say a word at entry, or do I buy a one-way or even an open ticket?
2. I would like to bring my computer, but again, what do I say on entry?
3. Will I only have to replace the connecting cables on my computer or am I better off not to take it at all.
4. I am looking at a job in "Time Sharing" (a friend in Canada can plug me). Some say it's cool, some say TS has burned itself out in DR. Which is true?
5. What about accomodation. I don't really want to live alone in an apartment, is it fairly easy to find share accomodation in a house with gringos & gringas?
6. My most important concern is "What do I say at time of entry"?

Thanks for your replies, it is most appreciated.

Monique

S

Sarah

Why not do it all legally and say the truth? What are you worried about?

V

V?ro

Where do you plan to live ? I live in Santo Domingo. If you need any information or somebody to talk when you're here, do not hesitate to send me a mail.

Good luck,

V?ro

D

Duck

I would buy whatever ticket is cheaper - usually round trip. Upon entry just smile and say "hola" or "Buenos dias" If you are bringing a notebook PC, just stick it under your arm, they don't really care. If you are bringing a desktop, trade it for a notebook before you go. The electricity is the same as in North America(110V/60Hz) and the connectors are the same so you don't have to change anything, but there are more power surges. Again if you have a notebook you can charge the battery with the PC off, and run it from the battery while not attached to the power grid if you are in an area where the electric fluctuates.

As far as I know you can stay for up to 3 months with a tourist visa, so during that time you should at least start your papers for residencia. I know people who have been there for over 10 years without having residencia, but are in the process ..... Depends on how comfortable you are with the situation. Of course if all paperwork is OK life is much better - but if not its not the end of the world either.

Good luck! Remember, just say "hola" when you enter.

D

DR1

1. You will not be the first or the last tourist who stays on. If you buy a one/two week ticket you will lose the return half if you stay on, so you should consider buying an open ticket. Airlines are not supposed to sell one-way tickets to persons not having a residency.

2/3. Consider bringing a laptop. It will be treated as a camera would be. Or consider buying locally, if you need computer support.

4. Both are true.

5. You should come as a tourist and makes some contacts before burning some bridges up north.

6. You can always say you are coming to visit friends!