wedding gift

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Is there a standard protocol for wedding gifts in the DR? I am attending a small wedding - about 30 people, for an employee of my company. What's the norm. for a gift? Also, does the company usually buy a gift or give money to an employee when they get married? She's been working for the company for about 8 months.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Wedding Stuff

DZ, most commonly it's things for the house like electrodomesticos, or a set of plates, set of knives/forks, etc. A toaster, blender..... If they're registered at a department store, then of course that's the store to buy from. At least that's what some 'girls' have told me......I wouldn't have a clue, so i asked the 'experts'. If you know any of the bride-to-be's friends, ask them, eh.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We were invited to a wedding of our next door neigbors. They have been together for 20 years, well established with grown kids. We had no idea what to give them as a gift as they have everything they need. It's not as though they are starting with nothing. We gave them $100.00 (USD) and I think that was ok. It too was a small wedding, less then 30 people.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i went to a wedding while i was in SD last month. a small affair at the santo domingo hotel...nothing fancy. i had just recently met the bride and groom and they were nice enough to invite me. she is from the UK but had lived in SD for quite some time and he is dominican. i ended up giving them $100 US bc i didnt have time to shop and i think it was ok.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I think cash is a great weding gift for a couple in the D.R., whether it is a Dominican couple or expat, or a mix between the two. In any case, it will be appreciated and will go towards something needed, and a great thought.