Employees on paid leave = suspension?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have 4 employees on paid leave because I dont want them on the premises until I finish investigating a situation that I may need to fire them over.

The Labor Board inspector told me that this constitutes unlawful suspension, since article 51 of the labor code only allows suspension either by mutual consent or for very specific reasons, the ones I cited are apparently not included. She warns me that I could be sued if any of the four decided to take me to court for unlawful suspension.

My lawyer tells me that the inspector is trying to get money out of me by scaring me, because the fact that I am paying them is proof they are on paid leave and not suspended.

I am not sure who is right.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
when it comes to interpreation of labor law, the judge will almost always determine that the employee is right and the employer is wrong. Do not let it go to to court and do not leave anything to interpretation.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I agree with Conchman, we do not suspend without pay. We suspend to get them out of the building if it is serious but we continue to pay and then liquidate. I have had to learn the hard way about this type of thing and in the end it never works out. Conchman has several hundred employees and so do I and our policy is to liquidate and not litigate.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I understand, but maybe you didn't notice where I said that Iam paying them. The thing is they are four of my best employees and I really dn't want to lose them, but there are armed thugs trying to kill them and I would rather not get blood all over my ofice.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
yeah im a bit confused...how could a PAID leave be considered an "unlawful suspension." they are getting paid and you say they are some of your best employees.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks you have to understand that call centers feature a lot of Dominicans deported from the US for various and sundry crimes. Since they speak pretty fair English they are prime workers for the call center operations.
It is understandable that MrMike is trying to avoid something serious in his working environment., and He Is Paying Them. It is like they are on vacation!!
Personally, I can see nothing wrong with this scenario, beyond the m/f twit from the Labor Dept that thinks he can screw you....but talk to more lawyers. Maybe Luis Veras?? He specializes in labor law...a consult might be worth the money. Dominguez Brito is another option...brings politics into play but power also...

HB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Why in the world are armed thugs trying to kill your 4 best employees?

Were they in fact dominicans who have been deported from other countries for committing crimes?

This sounds really bizarre...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the problem with 'paid leave' (especially after the word 'suspension' has been used already) is that a smart employee could refuse to take pay for that day or time period and then sue the employer for violation of the code covering suspensions, which are illegal. He will of course sue for all kinds of money, illegal termination, etc.

Many employers make the mistake of using logic and reason when dealing with labor court or labor law.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One would think that the 4 employees would be grateful that Mike is not only assisting to save their lives, but also paying them a salary in the meantime.
Why in the world would they want to screw him?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
The word suspension has not been used except by the labor board inspector.

I will give them 3 choices:

1) accept their pay and sign an agreement stating that their leave was by mutual consent or:

2) accept liquidation and deshaucio.

@Rocky: Everybody wants to screw me, its part of the price you pay for being good looking like I am.