Great things to do in the DR - one of the impressions from my last trip ...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Great things to do in the DR. One of the impressions from my last trip ...

Thinking about things to try while in the DR??? Here is one of them - learn how to dance! Take dance lessons. What can be a better way to relate to Dominicans? This was one of the best experiences I brought from a vacation.

Planner was very kind to help me with this. Her dance partner, Julio, is the best dance teacher I have ever had! Although I have taken many lessons in Europe and the US, he was the first person in my life to open the beautiful world of merengue, salsa, and bachata to me.

During an hour-long session with Julio, I learned more about Latin dancing than during previous years taking classes abroad. He speaks very good English, and is very aware of the cultural differences between Europeans, Americans, and Dominicans. So, his approach to instruction is tailored towards each particular individual, and not general and impersonal, as in lessons provided in a club setting, bar or studio. Julio?s cultural and language knowledge and understanding as well as his disarming and welcoming attitude which is rare in such a profession makes it easy for a beginner to express yourself on the dance floor, dance like you are the only one in the room. And the best part about his dancing: he truly loves and really knows how to dance.

Considering the fact that I have not danced for a very long time, and for this reason did not really feel comfortable doing it again, Julio?s professionalism and enthusiasm, coupled with his humility, very quickly made me feel at ease and inspired to develop to the new dancing heights. I am very much looking forward to continue taking his lessons and, hopefully, within a year or so, I will be able to feel comfortable with Dominicans on the dance floor.

Last edited:

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
great post...had i read it before i left for my trip earlier last month, i would have definitely taken some lessons! maybe for my next trip...:)

do you have any contact info for julio or any reputable dance instructors in SD? if so, please PM me! thanks!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Same question, but any suggestions for english speaking instructors in Santiago or on the North Coast? Naturally, a lady teacher would be appreciated....

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Great! Thanks! Contact (pm) Planner for dance instructor contact information. She is a wonderful dancer who has been in this community for a while. I am sure she knows a few instructors whose skills would match every possible need. Enjoy!