FAA seeks fines against Southwest Airlines

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Federal Regulators will seek a penalty of at least $3 million against Southwest Airlines for falling to inspect older planes for cracks.

That's how you can get a cheap ticket ...on unsafed aircrafts...ayyyy mi madre

WWW.CNN.COM

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Safety Record

Look at Southwest's safety record.
The rest is politics.
They are successful and attacked regularly without success.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
This is more serious tflea

Look at Southwest's safety record.
The rest is politics.
They are successful and attacked regularly without success.

I agree with you that it has been targeted for stupid reasons tflea, but this is different.... this is the FAA on aircraft inspection issues which is a bit worrisome.

The Associated Press: Southwest Faces Penalty on Plane Cracks

Latino!!! como estas!!!! hope everything is good in ATL.... regarding the post the fines seems to be US$10.2 mill

Read somewhere that Southwest was summoned by the FAA before on stiffer inspections on the rudder system for the B737 but it looks like the inspections where not properly done....

Also their looking at why the FAA didn't ground the planes when they found the problems.... interesting case this is.

STIOP

Jan 5, 2006
Also their looking at why the FAA didn't ground the planes when they found the problems....
Reports are that heads have already rolled at the FAA because of this.

This isn't a petty offense. There were 6 aircraft with major cracks on the upper portion of the fuselage, and they were allowed to continue flying them. That, combined with the 737 history's, should have been reason enough for the FAA inspector in charge of that investigation to ground SW's entire fleet of 737s until complete inspections could be completed.

If anyone thinks that this is the FAA or the media attacking SW over bogus issues, I suggest that you do a search for "Aloha Airlines flight 243". ;)

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004

This isn't a petty offense. There were 6 aircraft with major cracks on the upper portion of the fuselage, and they were allowed to continue flying them. That, combined with the 737 history's, should have been reason enough for the FAA inspector in charge of that investigation to ground SW's entire fleet of 737s until complete inspections could be completed.

If anyone thinks that this is the FAA or the media attacking SW over bogus issues, I suggest that you do a search for "Aloha Airlines flight 243". ;)

Agreed Hipocrito........ this is not something that has to be taken lightly......
And if you stop the entire fleet of B737 from SW what happens???? Well the WHOLE airline gets grounded since that;s the only type they operate..... this is some serious stuff guys

regards
STIOP

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Was responding to: "everyone knows Southwest uses garbage airplanes", which is a ludicrous statement. FAA fines are not uncommon. Not saying safety is not important.
SW redflagged the issue to the FAA. This is an admin, finger-pointing issue in my opinion.
But since it has nil to do with the DR -- that's it for me on commenting about it.

Jan 5, 2006
Was responding to: "everyone knows Southwest uses garbage airplanes", which is a ludicrous statement.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, just like I'm entitled to mine.

In terms of condition and appearance, SW's fleet is comparable to the aircraft that AA uses to service its DR routes, and we've all seen those complaints plastered all over this forum. Again, garbage aircraft IMO.

Apr 26, 2002
This IS serious from a regulatory perspective. Interestingly, FAA seems to have had a pro-Southwest bias in this, deciding not to drastically upset the airline's operations.

Whether it was serious from a genuine safety perspective is debatable.

But, be assured, heads NEVER role at FAA.

Tell me again: When does Southwest begin serving the DR?