where should i go? it all sounds good

bestgirlkk

Mar 6, 2008
We are not sure where i should stay, north coast, south coast... we want to do the waterfalls, explore some beaches, zip lines, 4x4... we dont want and AI resort.

This would be our first time and I want to get it right, so any advice would be great. Thanks,

Kristen

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi,
Try the noth coast, the Samana Peninsula, Las Galeras and or Las Terrenas, great non
AI hotels, and some of the best beachs, not to mention the many things to do and see.

Happy Days.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You say "we" then "I" , so which is it?

North Coast is more for wandering around and having fun.
Sun Block and bug repellent are needed to make enjoyment possible.

Keep reading DR1 and do ask questions.

HB

bestgirlkk

Mar 6, 2008
We or I

well, i dont know how it works at your house, but in mine, I do all the planning and we go on vacation... ha!

What about renting a car? Should we? I want to do alot of exploring of beaches.

Kristen

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
where to go?

I highly recommend the north coast and the peninsula. But, it all depends on what you want to do. Sosua beach was lovely, and the town is lively. Samana city is beautiful but i didn't get sense that there was as much to do there as there was in Sosua, although the whale watching experience is well worth the trip. Las Terranas' beaches were AMAZING! Non AI lodging is abundant in all three places. I rented an apartment in Sosua and loved being able to cook my own meals and make my own coffee, etc. I highly recommend the Perla De Sosua....it is centrally located but quiet and very reasonable price wise. Hans, the proprietor, is VERY nice, speaks englais and is very helpful. Good luck and happy travels!

domingodeb

Feb 18, 2008
well, i dont know how it works at your house, but in mine, I do all the planning and we go on vacation... ha!

What about renting a car? Should we? I want to do alot of exploring of beaches.

Kristen

I rent a car all the time now when I come....I didn't for years because of fear but it's all good now......Make sure you have COMPLETE insurance coverage (not as they might say....nearly complete). If you are from Canada or the US and are used to driving all the time you will find that your driving skills are up to snuff in the DR. Remember that gas is quite expensive and stay off the motorcyles.

Have a great trip and fall in love with a great country with terrific people.

domingodeb

Feb 18, 2008
You say "we" then "I" , so which is it?

North Coast is more for wandering around and having fun.
Sun Block and bug repellent are needed to make enjoyment possible.

Keep reading DR1 and do ask questions.

HB

Just a quick note about bug repellent. If you're from CA or US (I know you can get it there) try AVON skin so soft lotion....the original one. It really does work. I used to get bitten all the time, but no more. It's alot nicer than bug repellents and keeps you from drying out also.

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
North coast!

We are not sure where i should stay, north coast, south coast... we want to do the waterfalls, explore some beaches, zip lines, 4x4... we dont want and AI resort.

This would be our first time and I want to get it right, so any advice would be great. Thanks,

Kristen

Sounds like your first trip so I get a feeling the North coast would be more to your liking. Go ahead and rent a car-- don't let anyone frighten you about the driving, it's not bad (but listen to what others say about geting the FULL insurance).

Have fun!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Just a quick note about bug repellent. If you're from CA or US (I know you can get it there) try AVON skin so soft lotion....the original one. It really does work. I used to get bitten all the time, but no more. It's alot nicer than bug repellents and keeps you from drying out
domingodebso.
domingodeb must be an AVON salesperson because skin so soft works about as well as a bug repelant as using lead as a flotation device. Bring something with DEET in it!