Life Insurance for Employees

Aug 21, 2007
I am considering purchasing a life insurance policy for my gardener. His work for me includes standing on ladders, climbing on the roof, using harsh chemicals and potentially dangerous tools, and running errands on the motorconcho. Accidents happen, especially here in the DR, and despite my admonitions, he often performs his work in an unsafe manner.

Call me selfish, but I would like to protect myself as well as him. Can I purchase a life insurance policy for him? Do any other DR1'ers have life insurance on their employees? What companies sell such policies? What is the cost? And, finally, do you think this is a good idea?

I am looking to all you experienced expats. Please advise me.

Thanks-
Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you have a corporation as titular owner of your property, as many people have done, that corporation can register the worker in the Social Security program that the government runs. You will then be faced with mountainous paperwork and monthly bills to pay that are another split between his pay and your contributions.

Also, yes, of course, you can take out a sort of homeowners insurance policy. Or just a health policy for the guy, It will probably cost you more than you are paying him.

HB

Aug 21, 2007
I don't have a corporation. I already pay for his health costs out of my pocket. If the cost of a life insurance policy is prohibitive, do you have any other recommendations?

Lindsey