I need inverter batteries

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
They are damn expensive :(
I would need to buy some too soon. Now we had some guy stating that he can restore the old batteries through some electrical surge pulses to remove the carbon off the plates. is this technique still available in DR?
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They are damn expensive :(
I would need to buy some too soon. Now we had some guy stating that he can restore the old batteries through some electrical surge pulses to remove the carbon off the plates. is this technique still available in DR?
AZB
Mine have had all the restoring possible.
They're 4 years old and withstood the 22 hour per day power failures of the Hippo days.
They still work, but not well.
It just ain't worth dicking around with them anymore.
If I find a good deal, I'll let you know.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So far, the best deal seems to be at Luis Hernandez in STI, Trace black at 3,500 when buying several.
The same ones in Sosua at Freddy's are 3,700.
The trace Trojans at Hernandez are 4,400 and Easy Power in Sosua also sells a battery at that price, relabeled with their own name, so who knows where it comes from, or how good or bad it is.
I was always told that the Trace Trojans were better than the blacks, yet I had a mix of both, purchased at the same time, and the Trojans gave up the ghost at least 6 months before the blacks, maybe a whole year.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think I can do better than that. i will make a round in santiago tomorrow and get you full report.
AZB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We would also be interested to know what and where the best deals are as we could do with replacing some too - perhaps if we buy enough between us from one supplier we can get an even better deal.......

J

John Evans

since i got my new batteries my electricity bill has halved ...so its probably false economy to try and restore old batteries...I also dont need to buy distilled water by the gallon

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
So far, the best deal seems to be at Luis Hernandez in STI, Trace black at 3,500 when buying several.
The same ones in Sosua at Freddy's are 3,700.
The trace Trojans at Hernandez are 4,400 and Easy Power in Sosua also sells a battery at that price, relabeled with their own name, so who knows where it comes from, or how good or bad it is.
I was always told that the Trace Trojans were better than the blacks, yet I had a mix of both, purchased at the same time, and the Trojans gave up the ghost at least 6 months before the blacks, maybe a whole year.

Did you get deep cycle Marine batteries by Trojan?

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
We purchased "energy forever" brand in POP for 4,000. It's been 4 months and yes the electricity bill has gone down considerably.
Of course "energy forever" is only guaranteed for a year :ermm:
Not sure if the guarantee is even valid in this country???

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We purchased "energy forever" brand in POP for 4,000. It's been 4 months and yes the electricity bill has gone down considerably.
Of course "energy forever" is only guaranteed for a year :ermm:
Not sure if the guarantee is even valid in this country???
I don't know how good the guarantees would be.
I suppose as good as the store you bought them from, but the real difference is beyond one year.
It's difficult to say that batteries last a given amount of years, as it depends so much on the usage, both the frequency and length of power failures, as well as the size of the load.
It's been my experience here, with my general usage, that good batteries serve me well for three years.
The ones I have now, almost made four, but they are really weak now.
If you maintain your batteries properly and don't strain them too much, they might last 6 years, maybe more, but certainly more than the 1 year guarantee.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
PriceSmart in SD has them all the time. We've seen many a truck or jepeta load up with large quantities of them. Is there a PriceSmart on the N. Coast or just one in SD? Maybe someone making a trek up could pick some up for you? We are planning a trip up your way sometime in the next 6 weeks. PM me if you don't get what you need and I'll see whether we can swing by PriceSmart and help you out.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My energy bill have been reduced more than 50%, but not because of new batteries (because mine are old), because for the past few months, it has not been so warm so i don't use as much fans and a/c.
AZB

AltosTrader

Feb 25, 2008
Is the Power that bad ?

Hi All - I am considering repatriating from Australia and would prefer to live in a good condo complex at a reasonably elevated location. At present, town/city does not matter.

I do make quite heavy use of the internet and a minimum desired speed would be 512 kps. Currently here I have 24 k on ADSL 2+. My computers are usually on line 24/6 as I trade currencies and stocks. I would have a huge preference for landline ADSL or cable.

For power outage reasons I use laptops but if on ADSL then modems and routers would drop out on power failure. I can control my end by installing large capacity batteries and inverter to run everything but what happens to the cable/phone service for DR. ISP's in the event of an outage ?

Could anyone rate the ISP's reliability of service to give me a clue as to what I am up against ?
Thanks and regards,
AltosT

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi All - I am considering repatriating from Australia and would prefer to live in a good condo complex at a reasonably elevated location. At present, town/city does not matter.

I do make quite heavy use of the internet and a minimum desired speed would be 512 kps. Currently here I have 24 k on ADSL 2+. My computers are usually on line 24/6 as I trade currencies and stocks. I would have a huge preference for landline ADSL or cable.

For power outage reasons I use laptops but if on ADSL then modems and routers would drop out on power failure. I can control my end by installing large capacity batteries and inverter to run everything but what happens to the cable/phone service for DR. ISP's in the event of an outage ?

Could anyone rate the ISP's reliability of service to give me a clue as to what I am up against ?
Thanks and regards,
AltosT
You really should start a thread of your own to attain more views, instead of burying it in here with the battery discussion, but to give you a quick answer, my internet here is up all the time.
It's as rare here as anywhere else that the system would go down, regardless of power failures, as everyone has back up power systems.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
not very

In answer to the question of the internet here's our experience in Costambar ...
The basic plan is 384k which you have to have for a month before they will let you upgrade. It works fairly well but drops out randomly & the speed fluctuates quiet widely.
We upgraded to the "superfast" 1.5M plan, which is the fastest Codetel do, & found that when the power went off the internet went down. Nobody can explain it but here it does. We've downgraded to the 384k connection & that works fine power or no power.
Our neighbour has the mid-speed 756k connection & that seems to work fine too, power or no power.
HOWEVER
There has been a spate of people cutting phone lines in order to steal the copper cable & of course that leaves you with no phone or internet. Of course that only happens at weekends & codetel only have repair crews Mondy-Friday or so it seems.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In answer to the question of the internet here's our experience in Costambar ...
The basic plan is 384k which you have to have for a month before they will let you upgrade. It works fairly well but drops out randomly & the speed fluctuates quiet widely.
We upgraded to the "superfast" 1.5M plan, which is the fastest Codetel do, & found that when the power went off the internet went down. Nobody can explain it but here it does. We've downgraded to the 384k connection & that works fine power or no power.
Our neighbour has the mid-speed 756k connection & that seems to work fine too, power or no power.
HOWEVER
There has been a spate of people cutting phone lines in order to steal the copper cable & of course that leaves you with no phone or internet. Of course that only happens at weekends & codetel only have repair crews Mondy-Friday or so it seems.
Bear in mind that Costambar is NOT representative of the rest of the country.
If it's not the internet going down for days at a time, it's someone stealing the electrical cables that supply the area.

I can't remember the last time that the internet went down here in Sosua.
Maybe it was a year ago for a couple of hours.

Maybe we could get back to the battery question now.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
back to batteries - fork lift type batteries.

Are there any made in the DR? Are they worth importing, now with the great dr-cafta?