In what circumstances are tips insulting?

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
I've always hesitated to give tips to some people in the DR thinking they would be insulted.

When I travel within the US, Europe, or canada, I only tip the "traditional" group (waiters, bartenders taxi, maids, bellhops, etc) and never give it another thought. I would never think of tipping the front desk person checking me into my room in San Diego,CA, but sometimes I feel a little strange walking away from the desk at the Jaragua without giving the guy a little something. Same with the gal who seats me for dinner.

My TV remote was not working my last visit to SD so I called for someone to bring me a new one. The maintenance guy came up right away with a new set of batteries--he looked like he may have been a supervisor or something. I had to force him to accept a $200 peso tip, he kept on saying he was only doing his job (ok, I really didn't have to force him to take it but he certainly didn't accept it like the room service guy would have)

Can any of you who live on the island share your thoughts to help us visitors operate within cultural norms?

DM

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I don't live on the island, yet I am there once a month...I my experience 90%+ do accept propinas...I do come to encounter an "odd" dominican who wouldn't accept a propina, but that's rare...My take - do offer the propina but in a polite way.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
When I was inside the Monument in Santiago, a Dominican came up to me and asked if I had any questions. I immediately started thinking how much he was going to charge :paranoid: So, I asked him how much it was going to cost to take my picture. He looked like he was offended, and said it was "FREE" as "EVERYTHING" in this place and he was actually working there. Well, I guess, he really likes his job and cares about it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
200 pesos is way too much. An RD50 peso tip would more than suffice for most occasions. The locals get away with RD10-20 typically. If a person gives you a dirty look, chalk it up to you being less pariguayo than them.

J

John Evans

i met that man in the monument...you didnt give him time to get into his act....you give whatever is in your heart ...i never ask for anything....talk about feeling guilty lol

J

John Evans

if you like the service tip them ...if you dont ...errrrr dont.....thats what a tip is innit

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
if you like the service tip them ...if you dont ...errrrr dont.....thats what a tip is innit

Not that simple in my sometimes warped mind. I'm asking about times you like the service, but feel it may be inappropriate to tip.

I come across several professional people a day who provide great service I would never tip. For example, unless you're a sweet little old lady, I think a commercial pilot would be a little put off if you slip him a few dollars as you get off the plane- even if you do it in a very sincere way.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
200 pesos is way too much. An RD50 peso tip would more than suffice for most occasions. The locals get away with RD10-20 typically. If a person gives you a dirty look, chalk it up to you being less pariguayo than them.

That wold be insulting to tip some one the way you are suggesting in your post. You better keep that miserable tip to buy a water bottle. when the sun rays bur your skin in this tropical country.

JJ.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Believe it or not!, I had Internet service installed in my office about five or so years ago and the installer would not except a tip... 1st and last time for that I suppose.

travellor1

Apr 14, 2008
Customery Amount to Tip

By reading the posts I believe I got that RD$50 pesos for the maid would be ok.
Is this the same for porters and waiters?
In US I tip waiters 20%. But in hotels I don't have a set amount. It depends on the service.

What is the customary amount to tip.

Thank you............

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
I had met a few people that won't take a tip. I know is almost unbelievable, but is true. I had noticed that there are two types here - those who have too much reputation and find it insulting and those who are so greedy they can't wait for a tip.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When I go to Supermercado Nacional or Pricesmart, I always tip the bag kid either 50 or 100 pesos, depending on how much I buy.

It may not seem like much, but I've had some of them offer to push my cart around the store when I walk in the door, and I haven't unloaded a cart at the check out since I moved here.

They sure do remember who are the good tippers!

I've even had them offer to ride home with me and unload the car for me.
Whow 100 pesos. That's probably what they earn per day. Boy I must look cheap with my 20 pesos. LOL

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
The only times I feel unsure about giving a 'tip', is when someone with bad BO walks by. I want say, 'look there's this product called 'Right Guard'', but don't want to risk a smack in the chops or worse.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
When I go to Supermercado Nacional or Pricesmart, I always tip the bag kid either 50 or 100 pesos, depending on how much I buy.

It may not seem like much, but I've had some of them offer to push my cart around the store when I walk in the door, and I haven't unloaded a cart at the check out since I moved here.

They sure do remember who are the good tippers!

I've even had them offer to ride home with me and unload the car for me.

so if you grocery shop in Canada or the U.S/ up tip 3-6 dollars to the bag boy??? that would get the attention of my bag boy in Canada and he makes a whole lot more than the bag boy in DR....no wonder they want to follow you home!!!! That is a huge tip!!! think about that...you are very generous to say the least!!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
three years ago I recived a tip of US. $ 140. for a ride from STI to POP, as I never used to count the money in front of the custumer, I got confuse when I count it. it is not usual to recive tips like this in my business, later I was thinking meabe he is paying for the return trip. but at that time 3:45 am it was no posible for me to contact the tour operator for whom I was working like a subcontractor, next day I called the tour operator and they told me that this custumer is a very rich man from texas US. and this is the way he usually tips the drivers. This is higher tip I've ever recived as usually my custumer tip me Us. $ 5. / 10./ 20./ 30. and some time 50. depending in the services they request from me.

JJ.

cuas

May 29, 2006
The only times I feel unsure about giving a 'tip', is when someone with bad BO walks by. I want say, 'look there's this product called 'Right Guard'', but don't want to risk a smack in the chops or worse.

Most people wit BO has a medical condition called TMAU. It is not about deodorant or taking showers. Some does not even know that they smell because they are used to it. At careplace.com you can find out how many people kill themself or are depressed because of this condition. It is very hard for them to keep a job and/or to have a social life.
Some people has asthma but it does not isolate you.
Some people has sinus but it does not isolate you.
People has different medical conditions but you cannot smell it like TMAU.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Most people wit BO has a medical condition called TMAU. It is not about deodorant or taking showers. Some does not even know that they smell because they are used to it. At careplace.com you can find out how many people kill themself or are depressed because of this condition. It is very hard for them to keep a job and/or to have a social life.
Some people has asthma but it does not isolate you.
Some people has sinus but it does not isolate you.
People has different medical conditions but you cannot smell it like TMAU.

jeez....i was being facetious. I have access to Wikipedia as well :tired:

boricuaonline

Jun 1, 2003
Is the 10% service charge a tip or is another dominican tax? Hotels and restaurants usually charge the 16% itbis plus the 10%.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Is the 10% service charge a tip or is another dominican tax? Hotels and restaurants usually charge the 16% itbis plus the 10%.
The 10% is distributed (or supposed to be) to all employees. For example, in a restaurant, a 100. pesos meal would cost 126. 16.00 itbis (tax) and 10.00 gratuity. So the waiter who served you might get 1 peso out of the 10. Probably even less. Thus the custom to give an extra 10% to the waiter "If the service warrants it".