Las Terrenas warning

lemunch

Jan 19, 2008
My girlfriend and I were held up at gunpoint two days ago in a house we had rented in Las Terrenas. We were living out of town, two kilometers down Abre Grande Road, in a small complex that supposedly had a 24-hour guard. The men entered through a window in the back of the house and held us up in the kitchen, then took us to the bedroom. They tried to tie me up but I wouldn't let them, then they pushed my girlfriend back on the on the bed with the gun in her mouth. They then went through all our things two or three times, seemingly taking their time. They somehow knew no one was coming.

When the man with the pistol opened the chamber to show me he had live rounds in the gun, the bullet fell out and he had to remove the clip to load it again. Right then we ran out the back door screaming for help. The guard was nowhere to be found, nor were all the maintenance workers who had been around before. The man with the pistol chased after us and fired at us 5 times. I saw the bullets hit the ground around us. We kept running to the landlord's house. Once there, the guard and maintenance men were unconcerned for some reason. We were screaming and they went about their business. We heard two more shots behind the neighbor's house and climbed a fence and kept running across a field. Then we heard one more and hid for a couple minutes then continued down the road to a construction site we had seen.

The police were kind but largely unhelpful. They found some of our things, nothing of value, on a road headed up into the mountains. But no one would go into the jungle where the thieves had gone. Now the matter seems to have been forgotten. We have not heard from the police or the landlord since. We lost 2 laptops worth $4,000 and $400 in cash plus watches, etc.

The objects and money are not important. What is is that everyone says there is no crime here and that this rarely happens. And yet everyone we have spoken too knows of this happening to someone - in the last year. These thieves were bold and took their time. We don't know what they would have done if we had not run. Maybe nothing. Maybe something awful. When we ran, they didn't just let us go and take our stuff. They chased after us and shot at us many times.

This was malicious, no doubt spurred by a ****ty political and economic situation. Nonetheless, it was malice and I think people moving here should know it exists and is acted upon often.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I've lived in Santiago for 6 years and never seen anything like this.

You said in previous posts your GF speaks proficient spanish. Is her spanish really that good? Surely the maintenance men and guards would have taken this very seriously.. I'm having trouble understanding why they wouldn't have responded instantly if they understood what was going on.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've lived in Santiago for 6 years and never seen anything like this.

You said in previous posts your GF speaks proficient spanish. Is her spanish really that good? Surely the maintenance men and guards would have taken this very seriously.. I'm having trouble understanding why they wouldn't have responded instantly if they understood what was going on.

I'm not surprised that the maintenance men and guards could care less. I'd be surprised if they had acted heroically.

Most wachimen are window dressing.

lemunch

Jan 19, 2008
no

Maybe you have never had a gun pointed to your head. Any language is difficult in that situation. But perhaps the 5 shots fired 100 yards away would have been enough?

I understand that many people on this web site wish to downplay violence in the DR. But it would be irresponsible not to report this. I have reported the facts exactly as they took place. You draw whatever conclusions you want. I, in fact, like it here very much and wish this had never happened. But it did, and this account is not sensationalized in any way. If you want to take issue with that, then you can make up your own story.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I've only been to las terrenas once so i don't really know that part of the DR.

But I can tell you for 100% sure if I got shot at and told some people about it here (building security guard, others around), they would 100% take it seriously.

I have no interest in downplaying anything; I'm interested in the truth only and glad you told your story.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
"We were living out of town, two kilometers down Abre Grande Road, in a small complex that supposedly had a 24-hour guard. "

'complex' indicates other houses, other renters. What did they do?

You are correct in assuming the political/cultural situation enhances crime in the DR, but don't assume 'poverty', etc., is a root cause. The economy in the DR is the best I've seen it in 27 years. If anything, rising affluence, no matter how petty, permits the loss of social restraints fueled by affordable drugs.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
lemunch, not to worry. Your story is totally believeable. Let's hope they fired most of the shots in the air to keep you and anyone else around from coming back while they ransacked the house. That is Dominican.

BTW, for future reference, a "watchman" in the DR is very often just the guy you hire to sell tickets to theives.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I understand that many people on this web site wish to downplay violence in the DR. But it would be irresponsible not to report this.

The OP seems to think that we/DR1 downplay crimes and try to sweep them under the carpet, yet it is my opinion that we report them almost as much as the newspapers.
Considering that we/DR1 never professed to be a crime news rag, and that our members DO report virtually every crime we know of, I believe that the OP is was off base with that statement.
It's almost as if he/she would like to make us responsible for his/her false sense of security.
I don't know about you guys, but I ain't taking the blame and I don't see why DR1 should either.
Seems to me that in the last 6 months or so, there have been a multitude of posts about crime in Las Terrenas.
Perhaps the OP was a bit short on reading and a bit rich in imagination.

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
Dear Lemunch,

Thank you profusely for reporting this horrible event. I sincerely hope you and your girlfriend recover from this trauma and can put it behind you.

A question to you and everyone reading this:

If a watchman is not the answer in the DR, then how can we secure our homes and property? I need to know this since I am about to move near las Terrenas. Please give me your thoughts.

lemunch

Jan 19, 2008
Riiiight. I'm the girlfriend who speaks Spanish, and yelling 'los hombres tienen pistolas.' the neighbors were being somewhere between scared and corrupt and morons in the face of audible gunfire.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Worthwhile Place

My girlfriend and I were held up at gunpoint two days ago in a house we had rented in Las Terrenas. ... down Abre Grande Road...
I am very sorry to hear that.
We've had a spell of a relatively quiet situation in LT and I haven't heard of robberies at gun point for some time.
However, whenever I drive by the local police station more often than not I see 'gringos' or tourists there obviously reporting some kind of mishaps.

I am not quite sure where this happened (connecting road between the new dirt road to El Lim?n and Punta Popy?), but everything is totally comprehensible.

.... the guard and maintenance men were unconcerned for some reason. We were screaming and they went about their business.
As already mentioned one should not expect watchmen to be much protection or help.
Noone here will risk much for little money...
Often the people around a house or 'urbanicaci?n' somehow someway have a crystal ball... ;)
On the other hand it seems that LT with its relative high proportion of foreigners makes it worthwhile for criminals from as far as SD to 'work' here.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Precaution

...If a watchman is not the answer in the DR, then how can we secure our homes and property? I need to know this since I am about to move near las Terrenas. Please give me your thoughts.

1. Dogs
Yes, dogs can be poisened or killed; but normally this would give you time enough to be warned.

2. Do as the Dominicans do.
Never leave your house alone or have somebody there whom you can fully trust.

m'frog

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Riiiight. I'm the girlfriend who speaks Spanish, and yelling 'los hombres tienen pistolas.' the neighbors were being somewhere between scared and corrupt and morons in the face of audible gunfire.

I'm sorry you had this experience. It is curious that you both seem to blame us for it.

Clearly you're not doing something right since this happened only a short time after you arrived here. Its never happened to me and I've been here for a long time.

Maybe you need to consider returning home. If you don't fix whatever you're doing wrong it could happen again with a worse outcome.

There are plenty of people in your area who have been in the DR for a long time. If you're able to withhold your anger long enough it might make sense to ask for their help and guidance since they will know how things work better locally.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dear Lemunch,

Thank you profusely for reporting this horrible event. I sincerely hope you and your girlfriend recover from this trauma and can put it behind you.

A question to you and everyone reading this:

If a watchman is not the answer in the DR, then how can we secure our homes and property? I need to know this since I am about to move near las Terrenas. Please give me your thoughts.

There is a sticky thread that has a lot of useful information, but I will summarize it for you.

1. Closed in yard, if possible.
2. Bars on windows and doors.
3. Have a dog and/or an alarm system, such as infrared that will sound and alarm and cut on bright lights in the yard.
4. Have a bat handy.
5. Get to know and be very open and friendly with your closest neighbors and get their phone numbers, especially the ones who have a pistol - have these entered into speed dial on your phone - they will be the first responders.
6. Get to know a policeman or military person of at least captain's rank in the area. Visit them give them a bottle of Johnny Walker Black every once in a while(not at the police station of course!) Also, get their card and cell number.

best of luck

J

John Evans

excuse me but why are these people being beaten up for making people aware of a crime - no wonder they have got angry with the response on here

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm sorry you had this experience. It is curious that you both seem to blame us for it.

Clearly you're not doing something right since this happened only a short time after you arrived here. Its never happened to me and I've been here for a long time.

Maybe you need to consider returning home. If you don't fix whatever you're doing wrong it could happen again with a worse outcome.

Adrianb, I took the liberty of emboldening part of your post because it is precisely when people are new here that they are most at risk. They might not be doing anything 'wrong' at all other than 'being new' & leading the ladrones to deduce that they are wet behind the ears. Clearly they handled themselves sensibly by getting away. But the 'newness' would also explain why no neighbours were motivated to assist - lemunch is too new to have formed the sort of relationships with neighbours which you have & I have. From the description it doesn't sound like the attackers were spaced out on drugs - they sound too laidback for that - although the proceeds could well have been destined for that.

lemunch, I don't think that it's true that people say there is no crime here. I know I've posted quite a few incidents on the north coast over the years. The problem we have is how well we're heard - I recently commented on a house purchase someone had made in Las Terrenas precisely because I could see security concerns from the photos provided. But I could tell from the reaction that the person didn't like my questions. So............under those circumstances many of us give up & let people learn the hard way. Had you contacted mountainfrog or Squat before you moved here you would have been given a realistic, truthful assessment. But I don't see from your previous posts any questions asking for advice on this issue. Why didn't you ask before you moved here?

Thank you for your report of this event which will doubtless help others & yes I, too, find it totally believeable. I hope you both recover.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Lemunch, first off I'm very sorry you had to go through that kind of experience. I can't start to imagine how defensless you must have felt. Thank god you came out of it unharmed.

Unfortunately, although the DR might look a lot like many people's idea of paradise, the reality is that there is crime. But at the same time, there's crime in the US, in Canada, in Europe and in pretty much the whole wide world and unfortunately, there isn't all that much we can individually do about it. Other than taking precautions like Chip mentioned below, odds are that at some point (no matter where you live in the world), either you or a family member or a close friend will be affected by some sort of crime. It sucks like heck when it happens to you and it's tough to pick up the pieces and go on but do you have any other choice?

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sure many people will be reconsidering their safety precautions after reading it.

lemunch

Jan 19, 2008
tx

Hi, thanks to everyone for the kind and helpful advice. We did, in fact, research DR1 and several other resources for months before coming. We've also lived and traveled to most continents and dealt with areas far more risky than this. (You're right that crime exists in the whole world and in no way are we implicating that Dominicans or Haitians or anyone for that matter is more violent, poor or likely to commit a crime than anyone else.) We were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and wanted to alert others to avoid this.

Lessons learned so far are -

- 24-hour guard is not a safety solution in and of itself
- be careful on property abutting the mountains or undeveloped areas. (the thieves apparently came from and disappeared into the jungle behind the house...which is ironically quite beautiful.)
- check your cell phone in outlying areas to be sure it works. this was one of our more ignorant mistakes.
- the "new" tourist thing is very true and the smaller profile you have your first few days, the better. i.e. DON'T use laptops in cafes, at first. Keep them hidden.

One last note from 'the girlfriend,' me, I just wanted to clarify my post which I see now could be read as accusatory toward the neighbors or community in general. I was annoyed by the former poster adrian's comments toward me and truthfully, the neighbors' behavior was confusing. I think it's likely that they were scared by the situation and trying not to make any sudden moves.

I should know better than to let that sort of comment get to me, it's just that sort of 'blaming-the-victim' thing that's exceptionally hard to hear when you've just had the scare of your life (getting thrown on a bed with a gun to your mouth is terrifying). Anyway I responded in anger when I ought to have ignored. Thanks so much to everyone on this board and in this thread for your kind and insightful comments.

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
Hello Lemunch,

Crime exists everywhere and specially in touristic places, I am so sorry for what happened to you. I live in Las Terrenas since more than one year and I also direct a small apartments complex and I never had any problem but I am not going to hide crime here, there is crime and we need to inform and fight it.

I would like to know the name of the complex and the name of the security company, because that is a very important information.

I would recommend to everybody traveling to Las Terrenas to be careful in Abragrande, especially at nights (I have heard about some crimes there) and if possible always try to stay closer to a Hotel or closer to Downtown, those places are more safe.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
lemunch,
sorry to hear of your problem and i don't doubt the reality of it and similar events.

your 'lessons learned' is a good starter list for overall safety.

in general, problems like you encountered are few & far between... but in circumstances as you mention - the odds rise, and at times significantly, of encountering problems

i hope you encounter things of redeeming value during the remainder of your stay that help offset the horrible experience.

Last edited: