Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: babies born in DR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default babies born in DR

Hi,
    If an English girl and Dominican guy have a baby in DR, what nationality would the baby have? Would they get an English and Dominican passport? Would the baby be able to travel with the mum with no visa?

If the same baby is born in UK, what nationality would the baby have then?

Post Thanks / Like

Children born here are Dominican, if one of the parents is a legal resident or citizen. If the other parent's home country permits it, the child can also obtain his/her nationality.
    My children are both US and Dominican. However, it varies with each nation.
    As for traveling with the baby, there are certain requirements.
    If the parents are married, then the non-traveling parent must grant permission for the infant to travel--in theory at least.
    If they are not married, and the infant has, say a British passport, there is certainly no need for any visa. The child leaves the DR and enters UK on the UK Passport. No problem, since it is traveling with the mother. However, I do think that a letter of permission will be needed for the infant to travel with just one parent...so me thinks..
    If the baby were to be born in the UK, it would be subject to the UK laws of citizenship, of which I can truly say I am blissfully ignorant!

HB

HB

Post Thanks / Like

You'll find more answers here Birth Registration Foreign & Commonwealth Office

If your baby is born in England he/she would be English

Post Thanks / Like

A baby born to a British parent in the DR and registered at the British consulate will receive a British passport.

Moderator Living Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

And I think I am correct in saying that, should those children born in the DR continue to live here and subsequently have children of their own, they would be solely Dominican. Only by returning to the UK for the birth of the baby could the parent claim British nationality for that child.

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct, or at least it was eight years ago when I was making the decision whether to travel home for my son's birth.

Moderator Living Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

And it was confirmed at the meeting with Ian Worthington, British Ambassador last year.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The expat women I know who found themseves pregnant by Dominicans all chose to go to their home countries for the birth. They were all from different countries such as USA,Canada,Italy and Belgium. Their reasons were all different but mostly they went home for the medical care, insurance and citizen reasons.
    Good Luck and best wishes in whatever you decide to do.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

2 questions:

1. Would that baby, if born in the UK, also have Dominican citizenship too? Between the UK and the DR are they able to have dual citizenship?

2. If the mother is a British citizen, married to a Dominicano but whom both have Permanent Residency in Canada and the mother would be having the baby in Canada - what would the baby be?

Post Thanks / Like

1. A baby born in the UK to a Dominican parent and a British parent is automatically entitled to Dominican citizenship BUT they MUST register him/her at the British embassy in London in the first SIX months (please double-check this).

Otherwise the legal process back in the DR is a little less straightforward, but doable.

We finally got the child formerly known as "El Ilegal" registered as Dominican when he was four years old. He was born on UK territory but we brought him back to the DR at the age of three months thinking we could just register him normally here, but this turned out not to be the case.

2. I'm not familiar with Canadian laws but presumably the child would be automatically entitled to Canadian nationality? The parents would have to register the birth at their respective consulates if they wanted him/her to have their nationalities.
    Last edited by Chirimoya; 03-09-2008 at 07:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast