Cable Atlantico and Internet Access

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Just learned and wanted to share that if you have Cable Atlantico you can get internet from them as well. I was able to speak to Erica who speaks English and she gave me the name and number of the technician who would be coming to me (Sosua) - unheard of in the States.

Two people came, one to collect the money:

$150 to start; then a monthly fee for hardwired ranging from $38 to $65 depending on speed. I chose the $51 at 512.

And the other to install the modem, etc.

Sounds great right? The glitch was that when he tested for signal it was very weak because of how the cable people installed the cable. So I was back to square one.

The end of the story is a happy one. The cable people installed the cable directly to my apartment; the internet guy installed the internet part and I am up and running.

When I leave, as I am only here a month at a time sometimes, I call the boss of the internet installer (who recognizes my voice by now), he sends the guy to pick up the modem, suspends my service and when I return I call and he brings it back, I pay $20 and the monthly fee and I'm set again.

The service was excellent, the guys really knew wht they were doing and the internet works great.

Any questions, ask here or PM me.

Hope this is useful.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
We have been installing cable internet in various apartments here at Las Canas, and so far, fast installation and good service.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have also installed internet through them. The thing I'm not satisfied with, is the speed. I'm supposed to have 512 kb download, but usually I'm not close to that, it varies a lot, usually beetween 100 and 300 kb.
It works ok to just surf the net, and also my work application is running ok at that speed, but unfortunately it's to slow to watch web tv.
They have said they will offer up to 2MB within a week or so, to a higher cost, hope that will work out better.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just learned and wanted to share that if you have Cable Atlantico you can get internet from them as well. I was able to speak to Erica who speaks English and she gave me the name and number of the technician who would be coming to me (Sosua) - unheard of in the States.

Just curious, why is that unheard of in the states? I have cable, internet, local and long distance phone all from my cable company and have never had a problem. Maybe I misunderstood what you said...
Anyway...glad you're up and running.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi

What's unheard of in my experience is a xable company giving me the name and number of the technician. I also have a package at home of cable TV, phone and internet, but the best I can get out of them is a range of time that a technician will be over.

By the way, I was very impressed with the service - especially that it's here in the DR! I don't download music or much graphics or watch movies, so I'm very pleased with the speed.

They seem to have a good system. The boss - whose number i have - and the technicians meet every day at 9 am and schedule the work for the day. I can call the boss anytime and he'll tell me what time someone will be by. The cable guy and the internet guy are two different entities; I even had 2 different people - one to collect the money, one to install. I'm told usually it's one person.

Thanks for all your support.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Cable del Norte offers Cable internet, but so far only in some parts of Cabarete. I know it works in Harmony and Ocean One, and some places in the center. They are expanding and might cover more areas in the near future.
Costs for installation with them is 70 USD and monthly fee depending on speed between 1200 and 2500 Pesos. My experience with their internet is 'ok' , a bit flaky at times but if it works it's super fast.
Best is you pass by at their office at Plaza Media Luna to apply / ask if your area is covered yet.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Cabarete Internet - Providers other than Cable?

I see in the above posts that Cable del Norte is available in Ocean One but am concerned over their speeds. Does anyone in Cabarete have DSL or other broadband internet that they can comment on? I'm interested in speeds (actual - not just advertised) and reliability and would appreciate anyone's first-hand experience.

I currently live in Las Canas in Sosua and can say that Delancer/Cable Atlantico has done a great job here. We were the first apartment to have a direct cable internet connection and were pleased with the response time for the tech to install the service. Only complaint is the same as others....we pay for the highest available speed (512 KB) but our actual download speed ranges from 11 kbps to 60 kbps if we're lucky. Definitely not fast enough to watch movie trailers or even think about downloading tv shows. We're lucky if we can watch a 2 minute video on YouTube.

So, while we're thinking of relocating to Cabarete, we want to see if the internet situation is the same over there or if we can actually hope for "real internet" where we can do more than just email and read DR1. :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I see in the above posts that Cable del Norte is available in Ocean One but am concerned over their speeds. Does anyone in Cabarete have DSL or other broadband internet that they can comment on? I'm interested in speeds (actual - not just advertised) and reliability and would appreciate anyone's first-hand experience.

I currently live in Las Canas in Sosua and can say that Delancer/Cable Atlantico has done a great job here. We were the first apartment to have a direct cable internet connection and were pleased with the response time for the tech to install the service. Only complaint is the same as others....we pay for the highest available speed (512 KB) but our actual download speed ranges from 11 kbps to 60 kbps if we're lucky. Definitely not fast enough to watch movie trailers or even think about downloading tv shows. We're lucky if we can watch a 2 minute video on YouTube.

So, while we're thinking of relocating to Cabarete, we want to see if the internet situation is the same over there or if we can actually hope for "real internet" where we can do more than just email and read DR1. :)
With Codetel/Claro, you can get realistic reliable download speeds that you require.
For instance, their advertised 718 kbps gives me an average of 650 kbps.
The greater the distance you live out of town, the lesser your speed will be, as DSL deteriorates with distance.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks, Rocky! Can always count on your quick forum replies. I'll check on Codetel/Claro and post results shortly.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just spoked with the company. Unfortunately they will not provide any higher speed for at least a month.