Collecting/Recycling/Disposing of Batteries, Lamps & Other Universal Wastes

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Back home a local environmental group uses the 'statistic' to attack the use of CFLs due to the propensity of people to thrown spent bulbs into the garbage rather than cart them to local hazardous waste facilities (yes, we're fortunate that our city DOES have a hazardous waste disposal facility), while the local 'green' organization promotes their use via media, bulb exchanges and discount coupons.

We've used flourescent lighting for over 30 years in our commercial buildings and I can tell you from personal experience when someone breaks one tube, everyone in the vicinity scatters as far from the occurence as possible. We've all at one time or another inhaled the vapours that are released and know how unpleasant it is (and how sick some of us have become).
When an employee charged with revamping displays or replacing bulbs manages to 'knock' one of the four light fixtures (4x4 ft long tubes) breaking all the tubes it's a minor disaster!

Of course over the years we've 'disposed' of hundreds of said tubes in the regular garbage that is landfilled!! No warnings or information given regarding mercury contamination or proper disposal. I hate to think how many billons of those things already sit in landfills throughout North America.

While one bulb may not pose a danger, think of hundreds of thousands of them being disposed of every year.........

Again back home, our local landfill is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a 'leachate' facility to capture the leachate from the landfill that has been identified as containing mercury amongst many other toxic chemicals. The leachate has been shown to be polluting groundwater as well as finding it's way to nearby streams,rivers and lakes.

Fortunately the lake it eventually finds its way to is NOT the one the city draws it's drinking water from but many cities have only one source of water.

What happens when this source is contaminated by all these toxic wastes?

Here's five easy ways to dispose of spent CFLs:
How to Dispose of CFLs (Without Dumping Mercury Everywhere) | snarfd

I won't touch on the effect flourescent light sources have on the people who spend the better part of their day exposed to - that's best left for another thread!

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, the leachate becomes a problem when mercury vapor lamps
or fluorescent tubes
or mercury-based thermometers
or mercury switches (such as those found in old cars and appliances and thermostats)
or lead-acid batteries
or e-waste (old computers, TVs with cathode ray tubes, old appliances, etc.)

accumulate in a landfill.

This is particularly true in a country like the DR that does not have landfills with plastic linings (as I bet your landfills in Canada do), leachate ponds, aeration tanks and nanofilter systems and particularly where the local water supply (as in much of the DR) relies on nearby underground aquifers....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
True Keith.......

but let's not mention other countries (it may be considered off topic;)).

Back home the local high schools have started an initiative (several years old actually but gaining more community recognition and support) that sees the area high schools 'competing' each year in a "used battery" collection for those disposable batteries used in flashlights, MP3 players,video games, radioes etc - the AAA,AA,A,C,D and 9 volt type as well as those uded in telephones and answering machines and the 'spent' rechargeable ni/cad type.

The high school that collects the most batteries (by weight) then wills the prize pool that has been donated by community minded businesses and individuals.

The batteries are then sorted with some taken to the local hazardous waste disposal location and the rest shipped to a recycling facility. Any monies realized from the recycling facility are used for school activities.

As more people in the community become aware of the program, more people 'save' their used batteries for collection by the students!:glasses:
Thus lessening the impact on our local environment.

Would such a program gain acceptance and use in the DR?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
MommC;
I think it would. Before such a programcould begin, it would need to have the support of the Ministry of Education and the cooperation of ALL the teachers in both the private and public schools.
Could such support and cooperation be had? I think so, if it were approached in thcorrect manner. That is, by initially placing tehproposition before the Ministry of Education, then,with their apporval and support, going before the superintendents of each and every school in the DR, explaining what sort of organization is needed and how to go about effecting that organization.
The main thing that would have to be combatted is the incipient complacency of those who would be charged with carrying out the entire plan.
I tried to get a planstarted using the children in the school in Manzanillo to form a cleanup brigade for the refuse dumps all around the town (and there were some 15-18 of them in different locations), seperate the refuse into differet categories and establish a "dump" for each category. I got so many negative rebuttals, I finally gave up andtold them to sink in their own $H## if that was what they wanted.
Dominicans are primarily "Takers" and not "Givers". This element of the DR pschye is ingrained after so many years of political promises that are never fullfilled and that the people believe to be their right to have.
If this attitude can somehow be subverted, then some progress toward self-help can be expected.
Bear in mind, those solutions that are effective in the US, where we rely on ourselves to solve our problems and not so much on the guv'mt to do for us will not necessarily work here until there is the will by the poplation to do so.

TB

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
There have been many, many successful battery collection programs operated through schools across Latin America for many years now. The problem is usually not getting the kids motivated and participating -- at least, at first.

Uruguay2006 036.jpg

No, usually the difficulty comes in deciding what to do with the accumulated batteries. As mentioned before, the DR (as in much of Latin America and the Caribbean) does not have adequate treatment and disposal infrastructure for hazardous or potentially hazardous wastes. So what to do with them? Some jurisdictions, such as Cordoba, Argentina, put them into steel drums, filled the drums with concrete and stored them in caves. Some experts argue that this simply concentrated the potential harm. For years and years, Montevideo, Uruguay, simply stored all collected batteries in a special "cell" at their municipal landfill, until they could think of a better, longer-term solution. A town in Peru (I'd have to check my records for the name, it escapes me at the moment) made concrete park benches with the collected batteries incorporated into the concrete.:paranoid: But these are really just stop-gap measures.

Many of the school- or community-based battery collection programs across Latin America have lost steam after initial enthusiasm exactly for this reason: the participants felt that they were collecting stuff only for it to be warehoused instead of neutralized.

BTW some industry experts have warned school systems to be careful about undertaking battery program because some used batteries are not entirely spent, and when jammed together, resulting sparking could ignite a fire under some conditions. I'm not sure how much confidence to put in that warning, however, since I have yet to see a report of such a fire in the various programs undertaken across the region.

Since none of this is directly related to climate change, i'm going to split it off into a new thread.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Other than the energy savings, I just do NOT like CFL's. I also read where they are very unhealthy for folks around them, with great increases of seizures and migranes, among other issues. The light spectrum they put out just sucks. Anyone who has worked in an office with those damn things know what I mean. And the curly Q bulbs are no better.

Yes, they save energy. And I won't go into the mercury issue.

I recently shopped in a "healthy" food store (not a health food store; the sell real prime beef among other things, but everything was fresh and top-drawer) that used LED "bulbs" overhead. I say "bulbs" because the store manager showed me one. It was really a bunch of LED's with a dispersion lens over it. The light was fantastic! Not high lumens, but a really clean, clear spectrum mix. Each bulb, I was told, was equivalent to a 55w incandescent, it had a normal screw-in base, and I was told it had a 60,000hr. life. That's 7 years lit 24/7/365. It cost US$60, yes, but bang for buck, that is very cost effective. It uses 1/2 the energy of an equivalent CFL does. It produces almost no heat.

If they can be produced more cost effectively, they seem like an excellent option for lighting by almost every criteria.

It looked like this:

detail.aspx

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes.....light from CFL's sucks big time!

I was so glad when my office was moved to where there was light from a window. I even had a skylight placed overhead so I could work without flourescent light.

My eyes bother me big time under CFL's, my vision is impaired and I GET HEADACHES FROM H--L!

Even spending too much time in a shopping mall or supermarket makes me want to scream (could explain why I'm a power shopper-get in, get what I need-get out!)

Unfortunately back home my gov't has elected to make CFL's mandatory so my plan is to buy enough incandescent to last the rest of my life!:ninja:
Hopefully LEDs will come down enough in price that us regular folk will be able to afford them!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, CB, many people think the current wave of switching to CFLs before long will be replaced by another switch to LEDs. LEDs are quite efficient, pose less of a disposal issue (so I'm told -- haven't researched it myself), last long and reputedly give better light. Even though they make economic sense if you do the calculation of cost over duration, most consumers don't do the math. So it'll probably take a further drop in price before they really take off -- just as it did for CFLs. I first started seeing them spread in Brazil in the early 1990s, but it took until the last two years before CFLs really took off in the rest of the hemisphere...