Getting prescriptions from the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
I am planning on spending six months in Cabarete this summer. Is there anyone out there that has had to get prescriptions sent to them from the states. I have to get my prescriptions from Medco which is mail order in the states for my insurance to pay for them( that leaves out using a DR pharmacy). I have been told buy this forum that mail delivery is pretty poor in that area. I can only get a 3 month supply at one time. Maybe someone out there has run into the same situation. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
A 90 day supply is the norm. However, you can ask for an extend supply and explain you will be out of the country. I have a neighbor here in POP that gets a 6 month supply. He doesn't use Medco. It's worth a try. OR you could sign up for Business mail. I think it’s 350 peso’s and $2.00 USD per pound. They are supposed to be pretty good, fast and safe, so I’ve heard.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I am planning on spending six months in Cabarete this summer. Is there anyone out there that has had to get prescriptions sent to them from the states. I have to get my prescriptions from Medco which is mail order in the states for my insurance to pay for them( that leaves out using a DR pharmacy). I have been told buy this forum that mail delivery is pretty poor in that area. I can only get a 3 month supply at one time. Maybe someone out there has run into the same situation. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

I have the same situation. Since Medco will not send my medicine outside of the states, when I go back for visits/business reasons, I have been able to get enough of my meds. to bring back here to the DR to last me for close to one year. After sending in the initial prescription and receiving the 90 day supply, I have to wait approx. one week and then I call back and order the next re-fill as a "vacation supply". After receiving that supply, I have to wait another week and call back to order the next "vacation supply" for that next 90 days. I've been able to get the original prescription, plus three 3-month supply refills, which takes me to just about one year. You shouldn't have any problem since you have some time to get this all going before your trip this summer.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
IF it's not readily available here:

I regularly have prescription medicines coming in here from the US.
Just set up an account with a mail forwarder which will give you a mail in address in Miami or New York and will forward the stuff to you in the DR.
Check with your doctor and find a good pharmacy that is set up to ship their prescription fills.

... J-D.

sailin

May 1, 2008
prescriptions from the US and Mail Forwarders

I use a mail forwarder from Florida but have noticed all my packages have been opened and then reclosed. These are services like Sky Box and Vemenpaq. Does customs mind if I get a prescription from the US?? I've checked their site for a direct answer but I could never find one that was clear.

Jan 17, 2009
I use Medco and they will not give you anything over a 3 months supply unless you can prove that you live abroad (but still have to have it delivered in the US). I have used both the EPS and also the regular post office. I asked a family member to ship them with the US post office, flat rate international (US$11) if you can fit them in a flat envelope, and send them to my PO Box in Sosua (Dominican Post Office). They always arrived quickly and without a problem.

But, if you have enough to get you through mid November, I'm going to the US in October and will be back here by mid November; I'll be glad to carry them with me.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Walgreens 'auto-refill' + Business Mail, POP

I've been using Walgreens, very available on line, & Business Mail [POP] for @ 3 - 5 years. Walgreens will routinely ship 90 day supplies; it takes Business Mail @ 2 - 3 weeks to ship the product from Doral FL to POP. Why 2 weeks? Only the Divinity knows! But the service is reliable, if slow. I've never missed a shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.