Best place to dance (only dance!) in Perto Plata

dancin_fool

Mar 9, 2008
Can anyone recommend the best place in Puerto Plata to spend the night dancing, without getting hit-on? Am coming to DR in April and love to dance, but am not interested in hooking up. Last time I visited Punta Cana (2001), the men seemed to always think that if you were into dancing with them, you'd be into more.

Thanks

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Stay out of the discos in tourist areas and go to the local dance venues. Men are respectful and will dance with you not expecting anything more. In the tourists discos the Sankies will hit on anything female. If in Puerto Plata go to Terraza Caribe or La Canita. I'm sure that Planner will give you more ideas.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
You'll still get hit on in Terraza Caribe and La Canita, it's just that the men don't go out of their way to chase tourists in tourist discos. It's like any club composed of drinkers, dancers and hunters, you just have to learn how to recognize them, behave and handle yourself appropriately. A couple of drinks, he has his hand on your back, looking in your eyes, you're smiling... Mambo! You can't blame a man for trying. :) But yes, I know what you mean aggressive attacks are a nightmare.

It helps if you're in good company, someone who can explain "the rules" of dancing in a Dominican club, a cultural interpreter! :)

Good advice from Charlielyn, planner is your best advisor on a night out dancing in Puerto Plata.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
let me know when you will be in town, i will gladly take you out with us and explain the rules so you can cut down, but never eliminate, t he problems

betzi

Feb 9, 2008
I would also be very interested and happy in learning to know new places to go to dance in Puerto Plata.

Already I know La Canita and Terraza Caribe, then this "Vaca"-thing (I never can remember the name :eek:) and also the - I think it was just called - Tipico Plaza Puerto Plata. Somewhere in direction Costambar.

Off course I also know the touristdiscos in the Playa Dorada (the Mangu, the Crazy Moon and the Roadway) but if you some good advices for other nice places to go it would be great!!!

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

***7 weeks until I come there***

dancin_fool

Mar 9, 2008
Thanks everyone!

Planner, we'll be arriving March 29. Still don't know what hotel - we signed for one of those "wild card" deals - so we'll be somewhere in Puerto Plata.

:)

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
We are arriving April 1st. staying at the Blue Bay Villas Doradas in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata. There are 4 of us and plan on meeting up with Planner for a night out as usual. When will you find out which hotel you will get on the Wild Card?

dancin_fool

Mar 9, 2008
We only find out which hotel when we land - testing our sense of adventure!
There's 2 of us, my friend is not so much interested in dancing, but I could stay on the dance floor all night!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Make sure you get online and contact me. OR email me and I will send you my cell phone so we can meet up. I am happy to take you out dancing.

And Charlielyn - a night out..... I think we will go out many times.....

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
sounds like so much fun!!

My almost 19 year old daughter and I will be returning once again to Puerto Plata towards the end of April. We are so looking forward to going back and are hoping to stay at Gran Ventana again....just keeping an eye on prices right now from Atlantic Canada. Believe me, we could use the sun after this winter!

My question is this....I have been to La Canita before....just briefly....and I would love my daughter to experience this (rather than just the Playa Dorado clubs where you really couldn't see true Dominican dancing....with all the men jumping in front of all the women and girls...) lol!!! When I was there I was with local people but I am wondering if it is safe for us to go there by ourselves and taxi back to the resort afterwards. Will a taxi pick us up at a designated time or what is the best way to handle this if it is safe? Not speaking Spanish makes me nervous when going off the resort...am trying to learn but am not so good at it!

Any advice would be appreciated. We both love to dance and experience the culture....really want to get off the resort more this time.

betzi

Feb 9, 2008
@canbon: how long will you stay there? I will arrive in May, staying at Viva Wyndham. If you like to join me/us going there just let me know.

Last time my friend and me (2 girls) always went there by taxi or Concho on our own but before we made some dates so that we could be sure someone we know will be there with us.
I am not sure whether it really is - or maybe it just feels - more safe, but in fact it is a good feeling.

;)

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
My question is this....I have been to La Canita before....just briefly....and I would love my daughter to experience this (rather than just the Playa Dorado clubs where you really couldn't see true Dominican dancing....with all the men jumping in front of all the women and girls...) lol!!!

Where did you see men jumping in front of all the women and girls? in the Playa Dorado clubs? That sentence is confusing for me. You mean the animators from the resorts do that? Or you're saying that's true Dominican dancing. :paranoid: I have seen jumping around the table however...:paranoid: but in Toronto. LOL I just thought they were exceptionally hyper individuals. :cheeky: It's not a trait, is it?

I've never seen it at Terrazo Caribe or at la Canita. People seem to be pretty laid back. Except for the odd inebriated gringo who gets up and does a little solo like an audition for the Dominican Male revue. :cheeky: Or the odd couple who end up on the floor after a wildly out-of-control dip. Once I saw someone try to cut in on another couple and he had to restrained -- a tourist.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I did not notice any kind of dangers in one of the places where Planner goes to dance in POP. Some Dominican men dance kind of weird, but you don't have to dance with them. You can always say "No" when asked by one of those characters. There were enough normal guys to dance with. And none of them were aggressive in any way. Some of them can buy you drinks, food, etc., but nothing extraordinary.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
one week

Unfortunately, we will only be there one week--thank you so much for your offer! I would love to join you if we were there at the same time.

By jumping in front....I meant....you are dancing on your own...in your own little group....having a few drinks....enjoying the beautiful music......having a blast....then BAM!! there is a young guy jumping in front of you wanting to dance....or grind...or whatever it is (LOL)..now I am fine with age difference for people....no judgments from this young 40ish girl, but, I guess I am a little old-fashioned...I like it when a man asks you to dance. Now for my daughter, maybe its ok.....her and I have to have a LOT of talks before we go.....Lord Help Me! haha

It took me a little by surprise when there the first time....I have learned a few things since then.

dancin_fool

Mar 9, 2008
I would greatly appreciate an explanation of some of the "rules". It seems the last time, I did get wires crossed and despite my insistance that I was happily married and there for the dancing only, somehow the message didn't get through. I don't seem to have that problem here at home, so I must be giving off the wrong vibe according to Dominican socializing etiquette.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I know one thing from past experience, if you are asked what your plans are for the evening, and if you happen to be going to a disco.. and say "we are going to so and so", you can expect to see that person, waiting for you when you get there!!
Then...when you don't give them the attention they are looking for, they try to make you feel bad by saying" well you invited me here and now you don't want to dance with me, even if you have already danced with them a few times...
Invited?? we simply told them where we were going!! Not to meet us there!!

I doubt that you are giving off the wrong vibe, I've heard crazy things too, like if you dance with someone they expect to have sex with you, or if you wear a short skirt-you are good to go! ridiculous things.
Just be aware of your surroundings, make sure you set the rules early on...no inappropriate touching...no grinding (that's up to you) I've seen tourist girls, barely walking in clubs, stumbling all over the place and Sankies all over them. I have yet to see a drunk Dominican at the disco's.
If you are being groped, it's really easy-NO-Don't touch!! it works, they seem to understand that word all to well.

lcanale1

Feb 28, 2008
Well, let me help with this one. I am pretty familiar with this. Try the "HOMERUN" BAR at the malecon. this is under new administration and the place is nice and safe. You can also try Puerto Plata Rancho Tipico. It is also nice and safe. This is the catch, though; no matter where you go, you will always be exposed to that kind of harrassment from locals. That is inevitable. Be careful!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I am not sure which place Planner took me, but I have not seen or experienced anything like it. There were men who wanted to dance, buy food and drinks or call later. That is about it. No harassment. I had a great time. Don't worry, just be careful, that is all.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
The only "rule" that I know really know would be "don't dance more than two songs with the same man" or he'll think you really like him.

Try to keep some distance between you and your partner by keeping your left hand on his upper bicep so you give some resistance to any attempt to bring you in closer... unless of course you don't mind. If he puts his hand which should be on your back, on your waist or hip, move it back to where it should be.

I haven't had any problems either Alyonka and perhaps that's because I go with planner who has already set a high standard on how to behave. People know her and respect her and treat her friends with the same respect. She has a good relationship with all the waitresses and security and she treats everyone gracefully. She sets a good example with her own behaviour.

If you meet up with her and her friends, you'll be safe and you'll have a great time.