Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best place to dance (only dance!) in Perto Plata

Can anyone recommend the best place in Puerto Plata to spend the night dancing, without getting hit-on? Am coming to DR in April and love to dance, but am not interested in hooking up. Last time I visited Punta Cana (2001), the men seemed to always think that if you were into dancing with them, you'd be into more.

Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay out of the discos in tourist areas and go to the local dance venues. Men are respectful and will dance with you not expecting anything more. In the tourists discos the Sankies will hit on anything female. If in Puerto Plata go to Terraza Caribe or La Canita. I'm sure that Planner will give you more ideas.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll still get hit on in Terraza Caribe and La Canita, it's just that the men don't go out of their way to chase tourists in tourist discos. It's like any club composed of drinkers, dancers and hunters, you just have to learn how to recognize them, behave and handle yourself appropriately. A couple of drinks, he has his hand on your back, looking in your eyes, you're smiling... Mambo! You can't blame a man for trying. But yes, I know what you mean aggressive attacks are a nightmare.

It helps if you're in good company, someone who can explain "the rules" of dancing in a Dominican club, a cultural interpreter!

Good advice from Charlielyn, planner is your best advisor on a night out dancing in Puerto Plata.

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

let me know when you will be in town, i will gladly take you out with us and explain the rules so you can cut down, but never eliminate, t he problems

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also be very interested and happy in learning to know new places to go to dance in Puerto Plata.

Already I know La Canita and Terraza Caribe, then this "Vaca"-thing (I never can remember the name ) and also the - I think it was just called - Tipico Plaza Puerto Plata. Somewhere in direction Costambar.

Off course I also know the touristdiscos in the Playa Dorada (the Mangu, the Crazy Moon and the Roadway) but if you some good advices for other nice places to go it would be great!!!

***7 weeks until I come there***

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks everyone!

Planner, we'll be arriving March 29. Still don't know what hotel - we signed for one of those "wild card" deals - so we'll be somewhere in Puerto Plata.

:-)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We are arriving April 1st. staying at the Blue Bay Villas Doradas in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata. There are 4 of us and plan on meeting up with Planner for a night out as usual. When will you find out which hotel you will get on the Wild Card?

Post Thanks / Like

We only find out which hotel when we land - testing our sense of adventure!
    There's 2 of us, my friend is not so much interested in dancing, but I could stay on the dance floor all night!

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you get online and contact me. OR email me and I will send you my cell phone so we can meet up. I am happy to take you out dancing.

And Charlielyn - a night out..... I think we will go out many times.....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sounds like so much fun!!

My almost 19 year old daughter and I will be returning once again to Puerto Plata towards the end of April. We are so looking forward to going back and are hoping to stay at Gran Ventana again....just keeping an eye on prices right now from Atlantic Canada. Believe me, we could use the sun after this winter!

My question is this....I have been to La Canita before....just briefly....and I would love my daughter to experience this (rather than just the Playa Dorado clubs where you really couldn't see true Dominican dancing....with all the men jumping in front of all the women and girls...) lol!!! When I was there I was with local people but I am wondering if it is safe for us to go there by ourselves and taxi back to the resort afterwards. Will a taxi pick us up at a designated time or what is the best way to handle this if it is safe? Not speaking Spanish makes me nervous when going off the resort...am trying to learn but am not so good at it!

Any advice would be appreciated. We both love to dance and experience the culture....really want to get off the resort more this time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast