Popcorn Please! Anyone know best place to get a Hot Air Popper?

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Hi, everybody! Being two movie addicts, we're going through serious popcorn withdrawal. :) We avoid trans-fat laden microwave popcorn like the plague and had a great Hot Air Popper back in the States. Anyone know where we can get one for a reasonable price in Sosua or Cabarete? A new one cost us $14 back home and so far we've only seen one in Sosua for 2200 pesos! Ouch!

Thanks in advance!
Mike 'n Amy

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks, Adrian! That was second choice if we couldn't find it locally as we didn't know how customs/duties would be on it. I've heard of some items getting hit with 100% taxes and didn't want any surprises. :)

Thanks again for the reply!

~Amy

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks, Thurston! I tried La Serena in Santiago but not Ochoa. I'll check with them - thanks for the suggestion!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Why not buy plain popping corn and pop it the old fashioned way!

I take one of those heavy aluminum Dominican pots with a lid, barely coat the bottom with a good cooking oil (grapeseed or sunflower), put it on a hot burner and add enough popcorn to cover the bottom 2-3 kernels deep.

With two potholders, hold the lid and handles while moving the pot across the burner (once corn starts popping) and voila! In just a few minutes you have great, low fat popcorn with no transfats.
Empty into a bowl, add salt and melted butter/grated cheese if desired and enjoy!!;)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Yes MommC...we do something very similar. We have an actual old fashioned stove top popper (it is a pot with a special lid that has a stirring device (with a wooden handle) to keep the kernels from sticking. It works VERY well and for those who prefer not shaking a pot it is less laborious. I find this method tastes MUCH better than air popped--which to me tastes dry because I don't add butter afterward. Plus I think I have a negative association to roommates as an undergrad who constantly had theirs going (and then left the extra for the roaches and mice--So Cal sized though not DR-sized roaches).

Some have had success with using a plain paper bag and regular pop corn kernels in the microwave.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I take one of those heavy aluminum Dominican pots with a lid, barely coat the bottom with a good cooking oil (grapeseed or sunflower), put it on a hot burner and add enough popcorn to cover the bottom 2-3 kernels deep.

With two potholders, hold the lid and handles while moving the pot across the burner (once corn starts popping) and voila! In just a few minutes you have great, low fat popcorn with no transfats.
Empty into a bowl, add salt and melted butter/grated cheese if desired and enjoy!!;)

I pop my popcorn the exact same way, it only takes a few minutes and I have never managed to burn the bottom at all. It also leaves very few unpopped kernels.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Believe it or not....I learned to do this first on a woodstove!!!

Made the best danged popcorn anyone ever had!!!!

True DRChris......air popped is dry is no butter added!

The paperbag in the microwave works but here in the DR I would suggest 'drying' the popcorn slightly in a barely warm oven first. The kernels here absorb too much moisture from the air to pop well in a microwave unless 'dried' a bit.:cheeky::bunny:

milo

Jan 27, 2005
Second Hand, will sell

I live in Puerto Plata, I have a hot air popper that I would sell to you. PM if you are interested.