Bringing Dogs From The UK

charmaine

Mar 5, 2008
I am wondering if anyone has any experience or information on bringing dogs from the UK to the DR.

Does anyone know how they are transported, what vaccs are required, are they're any BSL laws in the DR as two of the three dogs we wish to bring over are Dobermanns, what is the vet care like in the DR, has anyone actually brought there dogs over and how did they cope with the travelling?

Thanks.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am wondering if anyone has any experience or information on bringing dogs from the UK to the DR.

Does anyone know how they are transported, what vaccs are required, are they're any BSL laws in the DR as two of the three dogs we wish to bring over are Dobermanns, what is the vet care like in the DR, has anyone actually brought there dogs over and how did they cope with the travelling?

Thanks.

Yes, this one I can really help with and give you plenty of advice and information. We moved here in June 2006 and brought our 5 dogs - 2 GSD's and 3 black Labs + 2 cats. Where are you planning to travel them from in UK and to in DR? When are you planning to move here permanently and bring them as I understood you were just coming for a holiday to join your Mum at the moment... let me know what details you want and I will tell you our full experience but can assure you now that all the pets arrived unscathed and have loved their new home ever since.

Last edited:

charmaine

Mar 5, 2008
this thread is on behalf of my aunt we both are considering comin to the dr for a few months as my mum is there and wil be 4 quite sometime u see. maybe it abit clearer now lol

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
So the dogs would need to go back to UK after a few months? Let me suggest you investigate how difficult that would be first of all - find out from Min of Agriculture in UK how long they would need to stay in quarantine, costs etc (or your local vet might know). That might influence your decision as to whether to being them here to DR. Yes we brought a dog here from UK 15 years ago, but whirley will be more up to date on proceedures etc.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We used an excellent company in the UK to arrange for our pets to be transported, they gave advice, arranged for containers to be purpose built according to the size of each animal, booked the flight and arranged the details for a total cost iro ?3500. In addition to that expense they all received up to date vaccinations, including rabies, and being chipped so that cost a further ?800. The vet health check had to be executed with 48 hours of travel and then taken to Admiralty House, London for approval and then across to the Dominican Embassy costing a further ?200 or so in total. It is not a cheap option to bring a number of pets and ensure they come the fastest and most direct route and I would not even consider returning to the UK with them as they would most certainly face 6 months in quarantine and all the expenses that would incur plus the costs of shipping.