Suggestions for a confused traveller

armando79

Mar 10, 2008
My wife and I and planning visit DR sometime in April. We have thought about Punta Cana - but seems its more of an AI type destination which is not our idea of a vacation. I have also looked at Juan Dolio, Sosua, Cabarete etc. I think I am reaching a point of information overload and too much confusion and hence I am reaching out to all you guys out there who have visted/live there and might have some suggestions for us....

This is what we are looking for our 5-7 nights stay in DR (we are both 30) :

1. Rent a reasonably nice apartment/condo/villa (does not have to be super cheap - something middle of the road) with easy access to the beach. Oceanview would be great.

2. We would like some R&R time by the beach, some snorkelling but also like to venture to local bars/restaurants to mingle with the local people. Engaging in activities such as dance lessons etc. would be great too for interaction.

3. Would like to go for an excursion..e.g Saona island sounded pretty good....

4. We do not need a crazy nightlife but few restaurants/bars would be nice.

So, thats pretty much it. I would appreciate if you could suggest which area of DR might be best keeping our interests in mind, any suggestions for apt/condo/villa rentals and any other pertinent information.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!! Gracias!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am leaning towards Cabarete or Sos?a....Excursions are more interesting, and probably more varied.

Good luck, wherever you go it will be fun..

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Juan Dolio might suit you

1. Rent a reasonably nice apartment/condo/villa (does not have to be super cheap - something middle of the road) with easy access to the beach. Oceanview would be great.!

Apartments in Albatros resort from 70 us$ a night. On beach, ocean view

2. We would like some R&R time by the beach, some snorkelling but also like to venture to local bars/restaurants to mingle with the local people. Engaging in activities such as dance lessons etc. would be great too for interaction.

Pool on beach, a few local bars and restaurants, easy to mingle with locals. Full animation programme at Albatros

3. Would like to go for an excursion..e.g Saona island sounded pretty good

many excursions offered. Santo Domingo 45 mins away, Saona and Catalina island day trips

4. We do not need a crazy nightlife but few restaurants/bars would be nice

5 or 6 restaurants within 10-15 mins walk. 2 bars plus colamdos

pm for more info

Matilda

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Cabarete is the place

I would suggest Cabarete. It has everything you want. Cita del Sol would be a great place to stay. No ocean view but very very close (across the street). Contact Peter at Cita del Sol for pricing (809) 608-4511.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I must concur with Matilda........

Juan Dolio has everything you are asking for (not sure about dance lessons but San Pedro has a good dance school just 15 min. bus ride away) and is easy to get to.

You can fly in to Santo Domingo (Las Americas) which is about 35-40 minutes away or in to La Romana (which is an hour away) or even into Punta Cana (2 1/2 hrs) giving you lots of choice to look for a good fare.

Taxis are abundant in the area so if you wanted to travel into Santo Domingo one night for restaurant/cinema it is an easily done deed (maybe one of the Mi Taverna nights!;))

Also if you want to meet up with some DR1ers' there's lots of us in the area!:bunny:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you want to go to Saona, head for Bayahibe town. It is the departure point for Saona, and there are plenty small no frills apartments. Also handful of good restaurants to choose from. If you head out midweek, you can probably get your pick of a place to stay, reservations only rarely necessary unless you go during Easter Week.

Best airport to fly in is La Romana (LRM), but you will be less than two hours from either AILA at SDQ (Santo Domingo) and PUnta Cana International Airport (PUJ). We suggest you rent a car at the airport. Be sure, though, that you arrive so that by daytime you can reach your hotel.

armando79

Mar 10, 2008
Thank you......

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I was really interested in the Samana area but seems like getting there is not very cheap (expensive flight + taxi). I was considering Juan Dolio earlier and seems like thats the way to go for this first trip to DR. Probably fly into Santo Domingo and get a cab to Juan Dolio.

Some follow up questions :

1. Any suggestions for places to stay in Juan Dolio? Something reasonably nice (not super cheap or super expensive...something in the middle).

Matilda : Thanks for the Albatros suggestion. I just want to consider a few more places before making a final decision.

2. Do I need to rent a car while I am in Juan Dolio if I want to visit Santo Domingo etc. ? Personally I have a preference for public transportation if needed and want to minimize the use of cars in general.

3. Suggestions regarding things to do while in Juan Dolio - 5-6 nights stay.

MommC : Thanks for your feedback as well. I would love to meet up with some DR1ers. Will PM you once I have finalized my plans.

Thanks again!!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. Any suggestions for places to stay in Juan Dolio? Something reasonably nice (not super cheap or super expensive...something in the middle).

Assuming you don't want All Inclusive, the apart hotels are Albatros or Plaza Real. i prefer Albatros as it is on the beach, and Plaza Real is opposite a major construction site. Plaza Real is cheaper though. Other apartment options for short stay is Meridiana which is clean and new but a bit pricey. PM me for more info and phone nos.

Matilda : Thanks for the Albatros suggestion. I just want to consider a few more places before making a final decision.

2. Do I need to rent a car while I am in Juan Dolio if I want to visit Santo Domingo etc. ? Personally I have a preference for public transportation if needed and want to minimize the use of cars in general.

I always go to the capital on the bus. Very regualr service - direct to the centre around 70RD$

3. Suggestions regarding things to do while in Juan Dolio - 5-6 nights stay.

Trips to the capital, Saona Island, Catalina island. Horse riding, scuba diving, spa in Albatros, lovely day at beach in Aura Beach club, 4 wheel safari at Faenza Rent a car, nice restaurants, etc

MommC : Thanks for your feedback as well. I would love to meet up with some DR1ers. Will PM you once I have finalized my plans.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You might also consider the mini-apartments above Casablanca

or in the new building in Old Juan Dolio (as opposed to the Villas del Mar area that Matilda has provided info for).

Nice apartments, on the beach with balconies, priced from around US$60-US$80 per night.

If interested PM me and I'll give you contact info...