Small town surf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbigPovec

Mar 6, 2008
My wife and I are flying into POP for a week in Mid-September. We are looking for a relaxing week with some surfing mixed in (and no hurricanes). Does any one have any suggestions for smaller towns/places to stay a bit more off the beaten track? We'll probably check out Cabarete for a couple of nights but would like to find a beach with decent surf that isn't as built up/tourist centric.

We hoping to spend less than $80/night for accomidation. Any suggestions for nice, simple, clean and safe lodging? A unit with a kitchen would be a plus.

We may splurge for more lux accomidation a night here or there. Any nice places that are really worth the checking out for a night or two?

Thanks for the help!

gringosuperstar

Mar 1, 2008
locals probly arent too keen on letting you in on the secret spots, but i'd recomend going to playa grande. Pretty undeveloped, some hotels and a golf course, and theres a really nice surf spot called la precosa right next to it

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
yep, Rio San Juan with Playa Grande is a great beach, a little touristy but not so much, and accomodations in RSJ at Bahia Blanca run 1000rd a night. The break is 7 kilometers east, an easy guagua trip for 50rd or so. Food and drinks available at the beach, nice break, uncrowded.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Playa Encuentro is the local surfing spot near Cabarete.
about 2km west of Cabarete, nice beach & not built up & touristy at all. Just a few surf school shacks.

You can head out there on your own with a taxi or several of the surf shops & hotels can help arrange transportation.

J

John Evans

casa oasis in cabarete is a good cheap option to stay -he gets a lot of surfers staying there and also surfs himself- so he can give you good advice on the best spots

Status
Not open for further replies.