Visiting Sosua: Second Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Hi.

I will be in Sosua, for a second time, May 27th through June 7th.

1. Any gyms available with daily or weekly rates? I would like to use a treadmill and free weights.

2. Any places you'd recommend for daytrips out of Sosua? I plan to take a bus or other such (public) transportation, preferably not a private taxi?

3. Any local/non-touristy places to eat that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to make any suggestions on anything you feel may enhance my trip. :cool:

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Hi.

I will be in Sosua, for a second time, May 27th through June 7th.

1. Any gyms available with daily or weekly rates? I would like to use a treadmill and free weights.

2. Any places you'd recommend for daytrips out of Sosua? I plan to take a bus or other such (public) transportation, preferably not a private taxi?

3. Any local/non-touristy places to eat that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to make any suggestions on anything you feel may enhance my trip. :cool:

I can answer #3. Try Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar in Sosua. Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
I did not get to Sosua ,,,on my Dr visit ,,i think i missed out though,,,what happens is Sousa someone told me about a cool beach flea market...

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I love Rocky's...ate there about twice a day, last time in Sosua...stayed at the hotel, too. I just want other options, such as places to eat where most tourists wouldn't go because they don't know about them.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Try the Dominican lunch buffet next to Bailey's on the central square / triangle. Inexpensive and delicious.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Try Restaurant Central in Charamicos for seafood, VERY local place, ask for the bigger shrimp. Batatica and Susannas are also great comedors within El Batey for lunch.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
The very best gym in Sosua is D'Lois Gym Spa on C/Pedro Clisante. Just opened 6 months ago, new equipt., showers, changing room, air, top of the line cardio and standing machines and free weights. Excellant staff and available with selected rates.
Only know the rates per month- 1st floor = standing/free weights 500rd (us$15) and also weight floor and 2nd floor (cardio) 700rd. Located 100 yards east of El Torro Rest.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Well, I began there, but went very quick back to the GP Gym. Guess It's a matter of personal taste.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Does anybody have any comments or recommendations for the following items?

==========

51xyxk.jpg

zthxk.jpg

TravelSafe 100 is a lightweight, malleable and portable safe for your valuables which can lock closed and lock to a secure fixture. Featuring laminated eXomesh? Ultimate technology, the TravelSafe 100 cinches and locks closed using an integrated, high-tensile stainless steel cable with padlock and patented locking device.

link

==========

6tfmf4.jpg

28v7udl.jpg

The CoverSafe is a high-security waist wallet with a slashproof belt, tamperproof zippers and hidden buckle to ensure maximum safety of your valuables. The CoverSafe also comes with a removable water-resistant pouch, moisture proof liner and a padded, breathable backing.

link

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does anybody have any comments or recommendations for the following items?

==========

51xyxk.jpg

zthxk.jpg

TravelSafe 100 is a lightweight, malleable and portable safe for your valuables which can lock closed and lock to a secure fixture. Featuring laminated eXomesh? Ultimate technology, the TravelSafe 100 cinches and locks closed using an integrated, high-tensile stainless steel cable with padlock and patented locking device.

link

==========

6tfmf4.jpg

28v7udl.jpg

The CoverSafe is a high-security waist wallet with a slashproof belt, tamperproof zippers and hidden buckle to ensure maximum safety of your valuables. The CoverSafe also comes with a removable water-resistant pouch, moisture proof liner and a padded, breathable backing.

link
I think that any devices you might use are only a plus and it would be up to the individual to figure out if it's worth the expense, and also to use the device properly.
Two things really ruin a vacation.
Getting sick and/or getting robbed.
Anything a person can do to avoid either/both, is great.
Those who have a tendency to have guests over to their rooms/condos, should take additional precautions.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
I bought one of the TravelSafe100 before my last trip down and it worked well. It was larger than I was expecting. I was able to fit a SLR camera into it along with all my other valuables.

The real problem with it is finding a secure item to lock it around.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I bought one of the TravelSafe100 before my last trip down and it worked well. It was larger than I was expecting. I was able to fit a SLR camera into it along with all my other valuables.

The real problem with it is finding a secure item to lock it around.

How about locking it around a door hinge or the base of a toilet?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I go to the north coast several times a year, and have yet to have anything stolen. Same goes for my friends and relatives.

We are big believers in preventitive measures. For example, when I vacation I don't take anything of excessive financial or sentimental value with me, which reduces exposure. For example, you'll likely only need one debit/credit card. Unless your a serious photographer, go get a disposable digital camera at your local drug store 12-20 USD. Internet access is everywhere, so you don't have to tote your laptop. And leave the fancy jewelry at home. You can also use the safe that's provided at most hotels for most other things.

If we go somewhere at night, we go together (at least two people). We don't flaunt money or otherwise make a scene that might attract pernicious purveyors of property purloinment. :^)

That way, you can relax, know your stuff is safe, and not spend a pile on a security purse (or whatever that thing is). Remember, you're supposed to be on vacation, not on patrol in Baghdad.

Status
Not open for further replies.