Moving to the DR

M

monique

I want to move to the DR this fall but I am somewhat at a loss as to what is the proper way to do this move.

A friend of mine who has lived the experience (a Canadian moving to the DR and living there for a few years) tells me: "Take a 2 week ticket, don't say a word on entry, and just stay there as long as you want."

Another person said: "Do it the proper way, get your papers before leaving."

Another one tells me: "Get the 2 week ticket, stay there a few months and if you like it, then apply from there for residencia."

In order to get my papers from Canada, don't I have to have a sponsor for a job, or even lots of money to be considered "investor"? My problem is that I have neither.

I've been reading this message board for about 2 weeks and I can see that a lot of Americans and Canadians live there presently and I feel you obviously know more than me since you live there.

I appreciate any info I can get and I thank you all in advance.

Hope to see you guys soon in the land of the sun, the beaches and the palm trees. Montreal at 40 below can scare anybody away.

Hasta luego!

P

Phyllis

My best advise for you is to search the Archived Messages as there has been a tremendous amount of discussion on this topic lately and you will find a lot of useful information.

R

Roxanne

I, too, considered moving down this fall. However, it became very complicated so I opted for a trip down in the fall and one in the spring. As for a job, I found that you have to be there to get one! For accomodations, you can find them fairly cheap but only when you are there! People will try to get you to book a place before you go but you will pay a fortune! Do you know the area which you are moving to? Let me know how you make out! I'm hoping to arrange someway to move down for a bit in the next few months. I guess there are some Canadian bars down there that do hiring.
Good luck!

L

Laura

My son will be going down in Oct to stay. We plan to join him yet this year to stay. You should know a little before you go or have a lot of money.