Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry what happened to bread prices?!

as i am european staple food is for me potatoes and bread. can't imagine going without them. potatoes like potatoes, no big deal, more or less same taste everywhere - and DR variety is good. but bread... bread is big thing. local variety is so horrible no words can describe it (no offence to DR in particular, english sliced bread is just as nasty). i was then, very happy to discover that jose luis in POP carried quite edible bread (made by some germans-run bakery, i believe).

when we first started buying this bread it was 43 pesos (tiny loaf) and 27.50 pesos for a small sweet bun. both very nice. few months ago (about 4) prices went up to 53 something and 30 something. today i saw new prices: 81 pesos for bread and 43.50 for the bun. what on earth? it is not a tiny step up on prices, it's almost 50% more! i am speechless. where did it come from?

only good thing coming out of it: miesposo decided we will now buy directly from german bakery in sosua. yummy. hope they did not rise prices by 50%!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two things that I can think of that are contributing to this. One is that the wolrd seems to have decided to use agricultural products as a potential solution to its energy supply problems (ie ethanol and biodiesel). This has diverted alot of the agricultural infrastructure resources such as fields, tractors, fertilizer, irrigation, and everything else it takes to grow stuff, from the production of food, into the production of energy. The other is the new wealth of the so called emerging markets (ie Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America) has created billions of people who are no longer satisfied with the meager diets that the people in these areas had been used to in the past. So the prices of foods are getting hammered from both sides of the supply and demand equation.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

We buy giant sacs of flour.
    I'm told that the price just jumped last week from 1,200 pesos per sac, to 3,000.
    Bread prices followed, of course.

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

The bread we sell in the colmado has just gone up in price too. We have to sell individual breads now at 6 pesos rather than 5. And I thought I read somewhere that bread was going down in price???

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a price increase in flour from the local mills at the end of January. The government is now paying bakeries a subsidy for the bread that the locals buy for $3RD each.

I agree with you about the quality of the local bread. A good French or Italian breadmaker in DR is a treasure!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes...why exactly does the bread taste like it does?
    I have to toast it just to be able to eat it, or flood it with mayonaise.
    Try the potato bread sold at Ole .
    Its very good, somewhat like Italian bread sold in the New England area.
    Pan de Agua is now 6 pesos each here in Cotui

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Info about subsidy here Listin Diario 21st. Jan
    El Dinero - Gobierno acuerda subsidiar al pan* Gobierno

and El Caribe 22nd. Jan
    http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_...A44&Seccion=63

Given the recent increase referred to above I'm wondering if the subsidy has got diverted to the political campaign..........?

At my bakery prices went up a 3/4 weeks ago - French loaves from 22 pesos to 25, integral from 3 pesos a roll to 4 - Benji said because of flour price increases. I was there today and there were no extra increases - so maybe if price of a sack of flour went up last week, there are more increases to come?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The price of wheat has gone up a lot.
    Demand is high and reserves are extremely low.
    Higher fuel costs affect everything, including wheat.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a few minutes ago on The Today Show, they mentioned that the price of wheat in the US has more than doubled in the past 10 months, so it's not a DR only problem.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    where did it come from?
    here's your answer INO Futures and Commodities - Grains and Oilseeds - WHEAT May 2008 (CBOT:W.K08) Price Chart and Quote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast