Is Cabaret/Sosoua a good place for a Single guy alone on vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirat

Mar 15, 2008
I'm a single guy considering coming to Cabaret/Sosoua on vacation, all alone. I'd like to try kite surfing and I love motor bike sports so that's my motivation to come. (oh yeah...the beach and warm weathr as well)..I;m not interested in working women but it would be great to meet a nice lady or two.....

should I go to Sosoua or Cabaret? Seems like Cabaret doesn't have any gyms and I would like to work out as swell. ....

Will I be safe on my excursions alone?

I am wonderig whether it's a good idea for me to come at all, would I be able to meet people? have a fun time? or wind up being alone all the time?

what are good places to meet people? american's? europeans? single women?

any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Pirat

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Pirat,
Based on your interest in kites & biking, I'd suggest Cabarete as your base.
Sosua's 15 minutes away for a day or evening trip.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would almost be difficult to not meet people in Cabarete and like CFA said, it's only 15 minutes and $1 US to get to the gym in Sosua.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
sosua vs cabarete

As far as Cabarete vs Sosua I prefer Sosua....there are 2 gyms I have worked out at and prefer the one up on the main highway...plenty of feeweights and good machines...cardio is downstairs....prices are very reasonable and good hrs as I like working out early and they open at 6 am then you can go get your drink on and have the rest of the day to enjoy! The other gym is very small but with quality equipment...just not much of it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As far as Cabarete vs Sosua I prefer Sosua....there are 2 gyms I have worked out at and prefer the one up on the main highway...plenty of feeweights and good machines...cardio is downstairs....prices are very reasonable and good hrs as I like working out early and they open at 6 am then you can go get your drink on and have the rest of the day to enjoy! The other gym is very small but with quality equipment...just not much of it.
Agreed, but the OP wants to kite surf and it may be a bit more practical for him to stay out that way.
Of course, he could stay in Sosua and travel to Cabarete to Kite surf.
I would say that the deciding factor would be his age.
If he's one of the young sporty crowd, then Cabarete may suit him better. Another factor is budget, as Cabarete costs more for most things.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hello,,,
I ventured out on vacation on my own in January ,,, I was about a 10 minute walk along the beach to Cabarete,,,, I am a bit quiet and was worried about being on my own also,,, My choice of vacation spots was perfect,,,it was small,safe,alot of fun,, The local people were GREAT as they knew i ws on my own ,,and often come and had dinner with me and just looked out for me,,I met people also on vacation andd have kept in touch with them i actiully am chatting on MSN with one of the girls now.... Cabarete was ALOT of fun,,with so many young people and everyone having a great time,,,,I did not get to Sousa ,,but in my experience just go you will have a GREAT time....

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Go to Caberette if you have no problem paying American prices and better for food and lodging, but you will find Non-dominican females not in the business, but I don't know about availability, I only go there to eat. Meanwhile, women not in the business in either town, good luck, maybe a few undercover workers , to be nice, but keep that in mind and I agree with the previous posters. I have frequented the area on as many vacations as possible since 2003 and I wouldn't dream of putting my fat black behind in the air, let alone on a kite, maybe a parachute, but then everyone should be running, because I definitely lost it.......But again you are guaranteed to enjoy yourself as long as you don't break your neck. But I've got some nerve, I still occasionally ride my 220mph Suzuki Hayabusa MC.with my old fat , black behind........So good luck.....................and be safe.................

yogibear

Jan 27, 2007
in 1999 i was single so i went to puerto plata for a holiday now i have been married to my Dominican girl for eight years some souvenir ho well never could ride a bike or fly a kite any way good look

A

apostropheman

I went on my first vacation to the DR, solo to Sosua, without any Spanish and found it safe and easy to get around.

Really, safety is not an issue if you use basic common sense and don't put yourself in risky situations.

I quickly made friends, that I have kept over the years, and they guided me to the better spots to eat and drink at.

I also took advantage of Rocky's guidance and stayed at his rooms and heeded his advice...and I'm still here to tell about it :D:bunny::bunny:

Either Cabarete or Sosua would mainly fit the bill with the nod going to Cabarete for the sports although Sosua has the gyms.

I'd also consider staying in Sosua and taking a guagua or taxi publico to Cabarete (or the reverse). That might give you a better feel for what life in the DR is about and get you out to see a bit more. In the long run you might save a bit of cash and experience more.

Both towns have their pluses and are definitely worth visiting.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
in 1999 i was single so i went to puerto plata for a holiday now i have been married to my Dominican girl for eight years some souvenir ho well never could ride a bike or fly a kite any way good look

yes, please clarify "souvenir ho" for us...:ermm:

suzie_slider

Mar 16, 2008
I'm a single guy considering coming to Cabaret/Sosoua on vacation, all alone. I'd like to try kite surfing and I love motor bike sports so that's my motivation to come. (oh yeah...the beach and warm weathr as well)..I;m not interested in working women but it would be great to meet a nice lady or two.....

should I go to Sosoua or Cabaret? Seems like Cabaret doesn't have any gyms and I would like to work out as swell. ....

Will I be safe on my excursions alone?

I am wonderig whether it's a good idea for me to come at all, would I be able to meet people? have a fun time? or wind up being alone all the time?

what are good places to meet people? american's? europeans? single women?

any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Pirat
I'm a female staying in Cabarete right now alone, and I feel safe when I'm out and about. As always, be aware of your surroundings.

I was amazed at how many working girls there were when I was out dancing Friday night, but it's still a fun scene. Let me know if you need a dinner partner - I do to some nights!

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
cabarete

Hi Susie ,,are you on vacation??? or living there???? thats nice you offered to meet up for dinner ,,,

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Rocky, I must be bold and say if we were talking about myself, tourest or not
( souvenir ho ) would be politically correct..............

pirat

Mar 15, 2008
thanks to everyone who contributed. I now have my ticket and I will be staying at the Royal condos. I am very laid back and love to meet new people and have fun. If you live or visiting Cabarete and would like to hang out I am there 3/31-4/7

send me a message...
Pirat

Status
Not open for further replies.