Different?

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007
I've been on the site for a little while now and I've been reading alot of the stuff about Sankies, and it appears to me that most guys that are sankies are thhere for money or a visa out of the DR.
I'm still a teenager but I'm not usually naive, which is why I'm still on my guards about all this...
Here's my little story, about 2 years and a half ago, I met a guy, but what's different here is that he first thought I was a Dominicana.
At that time I could barely speak Spanish and he could barely speak English.. Then when I came back home, we were chatting, then a year later, I became what we could call fluent in spanish (thanks to him).
What my friends over there tell me about him is that he works hard and doesn't seem to be flirting (I have friends living next to him, others working with him etc..!).
He never asked for money, and when we go out, he insists to pay. Could it be for a visa? He knows I'm still young and not looking forward to getting married anytime soon! And he knows that if we work out, I want to move over there.
My mother offered many times to pay him a trip to Canada, he refused saying he wanted to pay it out of his own pocket...
Of course with there little lines, you guys can't really judge, but me knowing alot about 'us' I really can't find another reason for him to go on with me than for love. We didn't even have s** together, so no reason to say it's only for that! I've started this thread to have people's opinions.. Not to have people tell me I'm stupid from reading a couple of lines of my life.
Thank you in advance for all the opinions, I love reading the forums here, always new, interesting stuff, keep it up guys!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Anything is possible.
Not all Dominicans are sankies.
What is 95% sure, is that male Dominican resort workers are sankies.
If you met him in a different environment, the odds go up in your favour.
If he is not asking you for anything, then there is absolutely no reason to give it up.
If you were having problems, or he was draining you of your money, then that would be a different story.
If what you say is factual, it all sounds normal to me.

Thegirlnextdoor

Feb 22, 2007
So far, so good I would say.
Only thing I will mention is, that my ex didnt ask me for money either, I later found out he was getting it from other girls though.
I also wonder, if he is not having sex with you, is he having sex with someone else?
Good luck though. Hopefully he's a good guy and at least you've learnt Spanish :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) If you met him at a resort, he is a sanky
2) If you met him at a resort and he does not have a Visa card and a Canadian or US Tourist Visa, he is a sanky
3) If you met him at a resort; he did not have a credit card nor a US or European Visa and he "thought" you were a "Dominicana" (Yeah right), then he is a sanky.

Sorry young lady, but, no criticism intended, the guy is a sanky.

HB, the wise old fool....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1) If you met him at a resort, he is a sanky
2) If you met him at a resort and he does not have a Visa card and a Canadian or US Tourist Visa, he is a sanky
3) If you met him at a resort; he did not have a credit card nor a US or European Visa and he "thought" you were a "Dominicana" (Yeah right), then he is a sanky.

Sorry young lady, but, no criticism intended, the guy is a sanky.

HB, the wise old fool....
I don't believe that the OP said she met him at a resort, did she?
I might have missed that, but if that is the case, I agree with you, 100%.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hello,,,
well ,,, you never know i suppose,,its not cool to judge ALL people you should judge them on your experiences with them,, and the person they are,be careful ,be smart ,,pay attention to what occurs... I strongly believe that each person we meet in this lifetime impacts out world in some certain way....so enjoy your friendship ,,but if at any time it compromises you or impacts you in a negative way,,,be smart enough to walk away.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hi La Morenita!

I'm glad you are smart enough to read up on sankies! They are a different breed of people.

How old are you? You said that you are still a teenager. Some of these posts can get a little rough around the edges at times around here ;).

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I've been on the site for a little while now and I've been reading alot of the stuff about Sankies, and it appears to me that most guys that are sankies are thhere for money or a visa out of the DR.
I'm still a teenager but I'm not usually naive, which is why I'm still on my guards about all this...
Here's my little story, about 2 years and a half ago, I met a guy, but what's different here is that he first thought I was a Dominicana.
At that time I could barely speak Spanish and he could barely speak English.. Then when I came back home, we were chatting, then a year later, I became what we could call fluent in spanish (thanks to him).
What my friends over there tell me about him is that he works hard and doesn't seem to be flirting (I have friends living next to him, others working with him etc..!).
He never asked for money, and when we go out, he insists to pay. Could it be for a visa? He knows I'm still young and not looking forward to getting married anytime soon! And he knows that if we work out, I want to move over there.
My mother offered many times to pay him a trip to Canada, he refused saying he wanted to pay it out of his own pocket...
Of course with there little lines, you guys can't really judge, but me knowing alot about 'us' I really can't find another reason for him to go on with me than for love. We didn't even have s** together, so no reason to say it's only for that! I've started this thread to have people's opinions.. Not to have people tell me I'm stupid from reading a couple of lines of my life.
Thank you in advance for all the opinions, I love reading the forums here, always new, interesting stuff, keep it up guys!

If your mother approves of him, that's a good sign because mothers are often hard to please. BUT long distance relationships rarely ever work out sweetie. I hope he takes your Mom's offer and comes to visit Canada. First love is always sweet. Just remember, you deserve the best. Good luck!

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007

Hillbilly: I did not meet him on a resort.. and the reason he thought I was Dominican is because I'm mixed Haitian/Canadian, which gives me the Dominican skin complexion.. Over there, people ALWAYS think I am Dominican.
2LeftFeet: Yes I am still a teenager, I'm 16 and I was expecting people to be 'rough' with me hehee.
One thing for you guys to know, I haven't stopped in any way living my life, (Meanin I'm not just waiting for us to happen, I still go out and dance with male friends and stuff, compared to other teens who stop there life when they're in a relationship, either longdistance or not!) and I don't expect him to do so either, as long as the feelings are known & true!
margaret: Yes, I've realised that longdistance isn't easy and my mom completely understands that as she was herself in a longdistance relationship with my dad, so I have good support from her! My mother doesn't just approve him, she loves him as her own son, and believe me, my mother usually gets the wrong out of people by just looking at them!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just curious,
five months ago you said you had been dating him for a year and a half so you where around 13/14 when you started dating this guy?

What does "my mother usually gets the wrong out of people by just looking at them" mean?

Thanks<!-- / message -->

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007

Yes I was 13 when I first started 'dating him' but when I first met him, I thought it was only a vacation flirt and that I'd never hear from him again!
By saying my mother gets the wrong out of people I mean.. When she sees someone, talk to them and stuff, she knows what they're up to! And don't tell me Dominicans are good at faking, I know that, I am haitian myself and as alot of you know, most Carribean males are 'The Same' as we would call them, so I heard alllllot of stories.
and Keith_R I did say he FIRST thought I was a Dominicana.. Meaning when he first came to talk to me, he wasn't expecting to get with a tourist.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's my opinion and don't get mad at me,

you were and still are way too young to have a relationship with anyone, let alone a long distance one. You need to find school. Life is expensive in Canada and I'm sure you know that without an education you won't get very far. What are your plans for your life? What kind of a life do you see yourself having with this boy. How old is he?

He might think that if he gets here he will make piles of money because if he works in a tourist area he sees many tourist and assumes everyone here is rich.

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007

Don't worry I won't get mad, I wanted everyone's opinion and up to now I really do get your point... I want to become an immigration lawyer, living most likely in DR (I know I won't make as much money as I would in Canada or US, but Hey I like the life over there!) and he already knows if we end up together, there's no way we're coming to Canada lol. I want to go to university that's for sure, I'm not going to let down my life plans for him, school will build my life, not him! He's 19, he might not have alot of education (Only grade 10) but at least he's a hard worker, and I think that's what counts since he didn't have the opportunity to go to school.

el fino

Jan 14, 2008

I say that if he isn't' asking anything of you and you really like this guy and he makes you feel good then dale pa lante