Cabarete to Jarabacoa

suzie_slider

Mar 16, 2008
Hi All -

I am staying at a friend's place in Cabarete for the next couple of weeks and want to head up to Jarabacoa for at least a couple of tours (waterfalls, rafting, and/or biking). Do you all think it would be better to book separate tours with a company here in Cabarete or to take a Caribe Tours bus to Jarabacoa and stay there for a night or two, then book and take my tours from there? Also, how long is the trip from Cab to Jarabacoa?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.

suzie_slider

Mar 16, 2008
I hadn't considered that, but it's a great idea. Thank you for the suggestion. I was planning on scheduling a snorkel tour to Punta Rucia with a tour company for sure but just hadn't decided on whether I should do the Jarabacoa on my own (based on the difficulty in getting there). Have you been?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was in Jarabacoa once 2 years ago during a trip around the country with friends. I found it to be a big contrast to areas I've visited on the south coast, north coast and around the capital or Santiago. Cooler, cleaner, quieter, and different vegetation. The rivers and mountain views were beautiful.

The waterfalls that were easy to reach by foot I didn't find that impressive... however we picked up an unofficial guide for a few pesos that took us on a 30-40 minute climb/hike to one that was fantastic. Not sure I'd do that exact climb again, though... at one point we had to traverse a 6" wide ledge with a sheer drop to the river below... probably 80-100 feet down! What was I thinking??

Feb 7, 2007
Most of the "ranchos" offer tours, hiking, rafting, waterfalls, etc. Rancho Bayguate is probably the most expensive one, but well acclaimed.

Just get to downtown Jarabacoa and ask for the "ranchos". There's one before getting to La Confluencia (two rivers) There's one before the entrance to Jarabacoa up the road to the left (towards the Salto Jimanoa???I think) there's also Salto Bayguate, etc.

DR1 member TimH lives in Jarabacoa and has a B&B there so you can stay there and get information from the good source.

coconutwireless

Jul 14, 2009
question

How long is the drive from jarabacoa to the northern coast cabarete- in particular? Is it a fairly easy drive?
Thank you!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa via the direction from Sosua to Puerto Plata to Santiago to La Vega and then Jarabacoa is about 2.5 to 3 hours

Thru the mountains, Cabarete -Sabaneta-Moca-La Vega-Jarabacoa route, would take about an hour off the trip & be a less stressful drive. But, I'd say go with a tour unless you're reasonably familiar with driving & directions in DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa via the direction from Sosua to Puerto Plata to Santiago to La Vega and then Jarabacoa is about 2.5 to 3 hours depending upon how many slow moving trucks you get behind and how much you like passing them on blind curves - not recommended to pass.

Caribe Tours does not go all the way to Jarabacoa. You would have to start in Sosua, get off in La Vega and then take a guagua/minivan up to Jarabacoa.

Caribe Tours certainly does go to Jarabacoa 2 times a day from Santo Domingo and you can catch it at La Vega if you are coming from the north coast.

sayrah

Nov 29, 2006
Thru the mountains, Cabarete -Sabaneta-Moca-La Vega-Jarabacoa route, would take about an hour off the trip & be a less stressful drive. But, I'd say go with a tour unless you're reasonably familiar with driving & directions in DR.

I'm wondering how rough the road is from Moca to Sabaneta. Is it ok for a van or 4x4 only? We plan to go from POP to Jarabacoa to beach near Gaspar. Would you take highway thru Santiago instead? Thanks

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I'm wondering how rough the road is from Moca to Sabaneta. Is it ok for a van or 4x4 only? We plan to go from POP to Jarabacoa to beach near Gaspar. Would you take highway thru Santiago instead? Thanks

The road from Moca to Sabaneta is actually pretty good apart from a few normal potholes in a few places and it is certainly not necessary to have a high wheel base vehicle.

Naturally there are some steep sections and lots of bends but the views from the top of the mountain are stunning and it's well worth a stop off at one of the cafes/ restaurants in La Cumbre.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Hi All -

I am staying at a friend's place in Cabarete for the next couple of weeks and want to head up to Jarabacoa for at least a couple of tours (waterfalls, rafting, and/or biking). Do you all think it would be better to book separate tours with a company here in Cabarete or to take a Caribe Tours bus to Jarabacoa and stay there for a night or two, then book and take my tours from there? Also, how long is the trip from Cab to Jarabacoa?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.

I have been there twice and the second time I booked my activities when I got there. 3 or 4 days is enough time to stay and have a good time.

sayrah

Nov 29, 2006
The road from Moca to Sabaneta is actually pretty good apart from a few normal potholes in a few places and it is certainly not necessary to have a high wheel base vehicle.

Naturally there are some steep sections and lots of bends but the views from the top of the mountain are stunning and it's well worth a stop off at one of the cafes/ restaurants in La Cumbre.

We were actually looking at the road that comes to Sabaneta on the coast. Any thoughts on that road?
(Thanks for the tip on La Cumbre too!)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We were actually looking at the road that comes to Sabaneta on the coast. Any thoughts on that road?
(Thanks for the tip on La Cumbre too!)

Sorry, I cannot be of any help there as I am not familiar with another road that comes from Moca to Sabaneta.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa via the direction from Sosua to Puerto Plata to Santiago to La Vega and then Jarabacoa is about 2.5 to 3 hours depending upon how many slow moving trucks you get behind and how much you like passing them on blind curves - not recommended to pass.

Caribe Tours does not go all the way to Jarabacoa. You would have to start in Sosua, get off in La Vega and then take a guagua/minivan up to Jarabacoa.

Incorrect Caribe Tours does go directly in to Jarabacoa- have done it many times.
Sorry repeat posting.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Caribe Tours goes directly into downtown Jarabacoa twice a day!

jvv123

Nov 8, 2010

I will be driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa in Dec 2010 and am a little horrible with directions :cheeky: so thought I would see if you could give more detailed directions using this route. Want to get there least stressful way and shortest route. Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours goes directly into downtown Jarabacoa twice a day!

For clarification, Caribe Tours from Sosua does not go to Jarabacoa. You would take Caribe Tours to La Vega then wait at the La Vega Cairibe Tours terminal for the bus coming from Santo Domingo that goes from La Vega to Jarabacoa

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
I will be driving from Cabarete to Jarabacoa in Dec 2010 and am a little horrible with directions :cheeky: so thought I would see if you could give more detailed directions using this route. Want to get there least stressful way and shortest route. Thanks!

It may be easier to just know that you will be able to take that route, then wait until you get here and buy a road map and have someone show you on the map.

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Coming from Cabarete and wanting to take cheap transport, means taking a guagua (public transport van) to Caribe Tours in Sosua.
CT is located there at the entrance to Los Charamicos on the main road leading to Airport Gregorio Luperon and Puerto Plata after that (everybody knows where Caribe Tours is--don't accept any BS). There is a bus leaving every full hour from early morning to late afternoon to Santo Domingo. Buy a ticket for that bus with the destination La Vega. There is a bus leaving every full hour plus 20 minutes. The bus will travel via Puerto Plata and Santiago where it will stop at least two times. It will take the bus about two hours from Sosua to La Vega.

To catch the Caribe Tours bus in La Vega coming from the capital four times a day you must be at the La Vega station before 9.00 AM, 12 AM, 2.30 PM or 6.30 PM. Maybe you should make yourself clear to the Caribe Tours driver coming from Sosua that you intend to catch that Jarabacoa bus.

Sometimes these bus drivers are a little on the ignorant/stubborn side. Once I wanted to pick up some foreign exchange students coming from Santo Domingo in La Vega and that crazy driver stopped in La Vega for about a second and a half not giving these young people the slightest chance to pick up their backpacks and get out before Santiago.