juan dolio advice please!

gourmei

Mar 17, 2008
I'm leaving for a last minute vacation to Juan Dolio and staying at the Embassy Suites Los Marlins from Wednesday(3/19) to Sunday (3/23). After reading some of the posts about Juan Dolio I'm worried that it was a bad choice. I was hoping people could offer some advice. We are two young people who like the beach and like to explore but are a bit strapped for cash.

We are flying into Santa Domingo airport, what is the best way to get to hotel?

Are there any good cheap restaurants around the hotel/in Juan Dolio? And, does anyone know of one nicer restaurant for one night out (preferably with a view of the beach)?

Where would be a good place to go out in Juan Dolio? Are there places with live music/dancing? Do we have to go into Santo Domingo for that?

What should we make sure to see while in Juan Dolio? And, what is the best way to get to these sites (taxi, bus, etc.)? Is it worth it to rent a car (should two Americans even drive in the DR?)

I'm from New York and am looking forward to the beach! What beach should we go to, and how do we get there?

The weather forecast predicts 30% rain every day in Santa Domingo is that a bad sign?

Lastly, do you think we will run into any difficulties with it being Easter weekend?

If anyone could answer my questions, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm really looking forward to my stay in Juan Dolio, and just want to make sure I have some more information before I go. Thank you so much.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Juan Dolio is still a very nice vacation spot

First, I feel like I should address some of your concerns because I'm one of those who is vocal about the problems (mainly for residents). Rest at ease that Juan Dolio is STILL a very nice vacation spot. Just don't go buying any real estate without thoroughly investigating (preferably living here a while.)

Rain--no prob--that is the standard forecast at this time of the year which compares very favorably to the summer forecast of 70-80% rain every day and sometimes for days on end. It is a bit like Hawaii that way...even if it rains a bit, your vacation won't be ruined because at this time of the year it seems as though we get a spot of rain and then it clears. Right now we have light breezes, part sun, and patchy clouds but it's plenty hot (was 90 yesterday) and the water is delightfully warm.

For a really nice dinner out, I recommend Aura, hands down. It is right on the beach in Guayacanes and I've never had a bad meal there. It is pricey but we go for special occasions. There are many really good meals to be had in JD: Guilia's Cafe/sports bar, the Freedom Bar and Grill, Cucina della Mama's (Italian), Concon (Italian), the Piano Bar, the Cacique Bar (German food), La Mason (Spanish), and many really like El Sueno (but I've found it to be hit or miss).

JD is very conveniently located to many excursion areas and if the beach is your main goal you'll be happy here. The Embassy Suits is NOT on the beach and is not really walking distance given the way the developments are set up. It IS a very nice hotel with a large pool and surrounded by golf course. If you want to open your door and see beach though, that isn't the place to stay. HOWEVER, given that it is Easter weekend IF you have reservations, KEEP them because we tried to find rooms all over the island to take a break from Juan Dolio and couldn't find anything affordable (dh found a room for $1500 USD which is totally out of the question for us!)

There are many posts on excursions from JD to other places. I recommend searching the S. Coast and Capital/Santo Domingo forums for specifics.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'm leaving for a last minute vacation to Juan Dolio and staying at the Embassy Suites Los Marlins from Wednesday(3/19) to Sunday (3/23). After reading some of the posts about Juan Dolio I'm worried that it was a bad choice. I was hoping people could offer some advice. We are two young people who like the beach and like to explore but are a bit strapped for cash.

We are flying into Santa Domingo airport, what is the best way to get to hotel?

Taxi. Around 45US$. Embassy suites is a nice hotel but in a gated area - Metro Country Club on the other side of the highway from Juan Dolio itself. A25 minute walk, or hire bicycles

Are there any good cheap restaurants around the hotel/in Juan Dolio? And, does anyone know of one nicer restaurant for one night out (preferably with a view of the beach)?

All the restaurants are a good walk or bike ride from the hotel. ChrisHE has listed them. She is right Aura in old Juan Dolio is very special - nice during the day too. Go down the road opposite the gas station and turn right, it is then on the left. Another nice restaurant would be El Pescador in Guayacanes which is a 10 minute taxi ride and a bit cheaper but also on the beach

Where would be a good place to go out in Juan Dolio? Are there places with live music/dancing? Do we have to go into Santo Domingo for that?

Guilias cafe on a Monday night has live band

What should we make sure to see while in Juan Dolio? And, what is the best way to get to these sites (taxi, bus, etc.)? Is it worth it to rent a car (should two Americans even drive in the DR?)

You could rent a car but it is pricey. You could get around Juan Dolio from your hotel by motoconcho (motorbike taxi) or rent pedal bikes.

I'm from New York and am looking forward to the beach! What beach should we go to, and how do we get there?

The beach at Aura is nice - if you don't eat and just drink water it is cheap enough. Playa Esmerelda in Guaycanes is nice too, with food stalls and a local atmosphere. Be warned the beaches will be heaving all weekend as that is where the Dominicans go for Easter

The weather forecast predicts 30% rain every day in Santa Domingo is that a bad sign?

The weather will be great

Lastly, do you think we will run into any difficulties with it being Easter weekend?

It will be very crowded everywhere. If you want to party then go to the beach, otherwise just chill by the hotel pool. I would not advise driving on the highway as most of the other drivers will be drunk!! But you can go out of the country club and straight over the road into Juan Dolio

If anyone could answer my questions, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm really looking forward to my stay in Juan Dolio, and just want to make sure I have some more information before I go. Thank you so much.

If you need to know anything when you are here then just pm me

Matilda

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Go

I stayed at the Embassy Suites 5 weeks ago based on recommendation made on this board. I loved it. Took a 2 room suite and found everything up to snuff. Staff is well versed in English and service to Americans. Do a ton of work with Airline personnel.

Liked it so much I am going back a week from Sunday.
BTW--Golf is very inexpensive there compared to GB. Nowhere as good but for the price and convenience you can't beat it.
Watch out for cabs going outside the Juan Dolio zone. (as in going to BC) Got stuck one night without my regular driver and used a call/cab to Boca Marina rest. in BC and was schocked at the price. Next day called the company and "worked it out".
JOHN

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
I would like to ask frank recktenwald some info for you : Frank are the clients from Embassy Suites Los Marlins located in Metro Country Club are allowed to use facilities of Costa Del Sol ( pool , bar , beach chairs etc.) ? If yes you will need a car or taxi to go there . You can purchase a day pass in Coral Costa Caribe Resort located right in front of Metro Country Club ( to use their resort facilities , beach , bars , pool , have lunch etc. ) . As it was mentioned there are restaurants around in Juan Dolio expensive and not. To go to Santo Domingo you can rent a car , take a taxi or use a public bus ''guagua'' right at the entrance to Metro Country Club . Enjoy your stay and have fun !

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I thought there was a shuttle from the Embassy Suites down to Costa del Sol... anyone know what the schedule is for this person?

Also, the Embassy Suites has bicycles that may be checked out and ridden to any number of nice beaches. It's a much faster bike ride than walk, although some might consider it a bit "too exciting."

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I thought there was a shuttle from the Embassy Suites down to Costa del Sol... anyone know what the schedule is for this person?

Also, the Embassy Suites has bicycles that may be checked out and ridden to any number of nice beaches. It's a much faster bike ride than walk, although some might consider it a bit "too exciting."

Bus every 15 minutes.

My name is Dre Broeders. I offer private excursions with my own car.
I am official tourguide.
You can contact me to reserve an excursion.
I live in Juan Dolio.
Also for airport-pick-up all over the country.
I have 13 years experience as tourguide on 40 different excursions.
I am official tourguide from Secretario de Tourismo.
I speak fluently five languages.
drebroeders@hotmail.com

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What part of my advise bothers you at 10:47PM?

juan dolio advice please!03-19-2008 10:47 PMunrealistic

So that we are a little more adult about this system perhaps your comment about my "unrealistic advise" should be presented in the open forum. Or, from the late hour of your posting maybe you should cut back on the sauce?

BTW--I did not give "advise". I contributed personal knowledge.

John

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
ratings

juan dolio advice please!03-19-2008 10:47 PMunrealistic

So that we are a little more adult about this system perhaps your comment about my "unrealistic advise" should be presented in the open forum. Or, from the late hour of your posting maybe you should cut back on the sauce?

BTW--I did not give "advise". I contributed personal knowledge.

John

I know how you feel! At least you rec'd a REAL word instead of xaiweti[i[ha. Those are the ones that really prove that it is merely those who are threatened by the truth (or someone's real-life opinion having lived here) that are dinging the reps. They can't even take the time to give you a substantive comment which would help improve the board. No, they are merely out to drag down the reps.

I think I'm going to start aiming for the most NEGATIVE points given this ridiculous high-school-like clique system. Anonymous comments are far from useful and really don't serve a purpose the way they are structured.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
LOL--did you post that as a JOKE? Dh and I spent about 1/2 an hour trying to find where things are on it and there are more things WRONG than right--not to mention how outdated it is. I'm not so sure that having a wrong map is better than having no map at all!;)

Well as I have stated : ''Unfortunately only Juan Dolio's map available is it's old not updated version and with mistakes on it '' ... BTW I'm thinking to make one updated for myself as I know where all the projects new and old are located using Google Earth program ...

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
This is my home away from home. Nothing but high regards for this well run hotel. These people are my family. Enjoy.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Well as I have stated : ''Unfortunately only Juan Dolio's map available is it's old not updated version and with mistakes on it '' ... BTW I'm thinking to make one updated for myself as I know where all the projects new and old are located using Google Earth program ...

Yes, Steve, I CAN read. My point is that I seriously caution anyone from trying to USE that map. I think it is a GREAT idea for you to make a new map. Please post it when you get around to it. Is Google Earth detailed enough here to use that to come up with a map? We've checked various places we've lived and the detail varies greatly depending on the population density and what appears to be the US government's interest in spying on that particular area (my understanding from those who intimately know the spacing/frequency of the satellite shots at least.) I'd check myself but our wifi isn't loading sites like that right now! Good luck and let me know if you want help (seriously.)

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
... I think it is a GREAT idea for you to make a new map. Please post it when you get around to it...Good luck and let me know if you want help (seriously.)

I'm going to divide the satellite shots of Juan Dolio / Villas Del Mar areas in four detailed images and one general image of Guayacanes / Juan Dolio / Villas Del Mar / Rocky coast after it up to Marota Beach (for general idea of distances) . I'm going to put the numbers on four detailed images and below the corresponding names . If I don't know some places I will leave the empty spaces next to the numbers , so you or anyone else interested will be able to help me out ;) ... I will create a new thread '' Juan Dolio / Villas Del Mar Maps '' for this task ... it will take some time to put the numbers on the images , so look forward for a new thread :cheeky: