Re: Is Santo Domingo Burning?

C

Capt. Larry Emmons

After reading the posts, I have been in touch with family members in Santiago, La Vega, Santo Domingo and Monte Cristi. None are reporting hearing of serious problems.

There are some problems in the barrios because of lack of electricity. Would you not protest when your only way to cool off is a fan and there is no electricity to run the fan? It is too hot to sleep so why not get up, start a fire and throw a few rocks. These problems are in the barrios into which I would not venture after dark. These are areas that any tourist would be going into or traveling through.

Contributing to the problem is the change of government scheduled for next week. I would suspect that members of either the outgoing government or the incoming government may be contributing to the unrest (I suspect the former).

The lack of electricity? PLD members say that it is Hipoloto Mejia's fault. I guess he must have signed the check that the government made out to the electrical suppliers, that bounced.

Look on the positive side. The Dominican Republic has an un-discovered industry. There is a rubber tree plantation hidden somewhere in the interior mountains, providing the rubber so that the checks that the government is writing will bounce higher.

A

arcoiris

I didn't know the check bounced. Is that true, that there was insufficient funds? And it does make sense that Cuba would have tourists from some countries. I'll bet that the resorts are Cuban owned and nobody tells the Cubans they can't go on their own beaches.