I will do anything it takes to live in the DR; a cry to you for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilistic Love

Mar 18, 2008
I have been vacationing to Sosua in an excessively, obsessively, self-gratifying way off and on for the last year. To me, there is no greater self-fulfillment than a day in beautiful Sosua. What more could a mortal man want in life? Beautiful, friendly women, beer, delicious food, and weather!
This post is a sort of a cry for help to the members that have seen it all and have done it all in the DR. A cry for a direction in life. A cry for the guidance in that first step I am willing to take with my life, the ultimate gamble.
I am 21 years old, live in America in serious depression, confronted by a materialistic world where the "system" controls me in a loop of infinite brutality, in which I am to conform to a protocol of working the 9 to 5, eating, and sleeping, rewarded by the weekend opportunity to blow away all of my blood dripping money on special "sales", or 5 dollar cups of starbucks, or 20 dollar meals, vast bills, etc etc.
I have grown tired of conformity to a vicious system in which I am not attracted to in any way. What makes living worth it when there is nothing but pain in life? Nothing but dedicating your life to an unattractive system that uses your body, mind and soul on a time demanding, soul consuming basis.
Anyways...not to delve off into deviations of philosphical selfishness, I am committed to making the first move to get out of USA and into Sosua for good.
I am committed with my life to make a living in Sosua. With my life.
The questions entails;
How does the young gringo, who does not speak Spanish very well, but with relentless will and vigor, go about living in Sosua?
The costs in Sosua are 1200 USD a month I was told by a gringo ex-pat in Rocky's. Is this correct?
It costs 300 a month to rent out an apartment. Correct?
One can buy dried beans and rice in bulk, and pay no more than 40 USD a month of food. Correct?
What are fast, effective ways to make a buck in Sosua that requires no Spanish to be spoken? the stock market? Real estate? Investments?
I have seen with my own eyes...ex-pats, gringos who live in Sosua, are nothing but consumed by vast happiness day to day, night to night, as they dance away the night in the discos. The guy who is in a wheel chair I see all of the time, wears glasses, is extremly friendly and happy but paralyzed. Possibly the happiest man I personally have known!
Another guy, a fatter guy, bald is seen dancing the night away in Latin club with a beer in his hand, surrounded by beautiful women. What more could one want in life? This is the ultimate life!!!
The lifestyle that will entail the hedonistic dream?
To live the good life and be the change that we seek. Happiness, love, and pleasure shall be in everyday life. One should not work all of the time, but to enjoy life!

Be the change you seek in your world." ?Gandhi

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yikexxx, I am exposed.

Another guy, a fatter guy, bald is seen dancing the night away in Latin club with a beer in his hand, surrounded by beautiful women.

well, its not nice to call me fat and bald, by the way, the chick was not a chick, I found that out in the morning. :( damn brugal.
AZB

Cabarete Jay

Mar 7, 2008
To the original poster

I am new to living on the Northcoast (Cabarete) and I found myself in a similar position to the Original Poster. I became tired of the rat race that I was forced to be a part of in the U.S. and decided to make a change. My cirumstance is somewhat different, as I had a job secured prior to relocating and I speak Spanish. The only advice I can offer you, since you stated that you have a lot of "will and vigor", is to learn the language. It might seem like a difficult task, but trust me, Spanish is easy to pick up and it will increase your chances of finding a reliable source of income.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
21????????????????

you are twenty one and already know about the system???? oh goodness, well at least you discovered the controlling ways of the system early on..........save yourself while you can..........:paranoid:

AZB that was too funny LMAO.....:cheeky:......but i'm sure you understand this guy very well................

oh i am craving a ray of sunshine right now........... :disappoin

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am new to living on the Northcoast (Cabarete) and I found myself in a similar position to the Original Poster. I became tired of the rat race that I was forced to be a part of in the U.S. and decided to make a change. My cirumstance is somewhat different, as I had a job secured prior to relocating and I speak Spanish. The only advice I can offer you, since you stated that you have a lot of "will and vigor", is to learn the language. It might seem like a difficult task, but trust me, Spanish is easy to pick up and it will increase your chances of finding a reliable source of income.
Jay your post is very good and the only one actually addressing the OP.
It's just that the OP, aka sun and buns, has been on DR1 before, so there's some history there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How does the young gringo, who does not speak Spanish very well, but with relentless will and vigor, go about living in Sosua?

Perhaps the Chicken Rancher position is still available, I know the lovely daughter is still searching for Prince Charming on Pedro C.! That would kill 3 birds with one stone.

t'

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Mr. Love, please get some help. You have been told on other sites the same thing. Many people have given you advise but you only hear ( sorry, lip read ) what you want. I am not a shrink, did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night but i do know you need professional help.

You have no skills needed in the USA so what makes you think you have any needed in the DR. Hatians got the labor market, chicken farmers are going bust and the moto-drivers got the coke market. Join the Union in Jersey, get a job with the airlines and travel to the DR while making a real living in the states. Eventually marry the puta of your dreams and bring her home with you.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Ah...the system, wonderful memories.
Sorry to hear of your serious deppression.
I haven't heard about an apartment for $300 a month in Sosua. Doesn't mean that you can't find one.
Dried beans and bulk rice available, yes.
$40 a month food bill? Unless your only going to eat dried beans and rice.
$40 a week sounds closer to reality.
Not sure if you will get the love your looking for ie. beautiful, friendly women, beer, delicious food on this kind of budget.
Good luck there Nihilistic love, just remember the weather doesn't cost much.

A cry for a direction in life. A cry for the guidance in that first step I am willing to take with my life, the ultimate gamble........All this for Sosua???

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
suggestions......

What if he becomes a sankie or an animador, wooohooo.

what if he builds a hay shack and sleeps on a hammock in the mountains?

Cabarete Jay

Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for the heads up Rocky!

Jay your post is very good and the only one actually addressing the OP.
It's just that the OP, aka sun and buns, has been on DR1 before, so there's some history there.

I guess I'm not aware of this history on this one, but apparently he has a couple issues to work out.

I need to come over to your place here soon and try some of those ribs I keep hearing about.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In case there are similar sprogs with yearning in their hearts & nasty rashes on their nether regions

A cry for a direction in life. A cry for the guidance in that first step I am willing to take with my life, the ultimate gamble.

Work as a volunteer in the DR - there is plenty to do.

I am 21 years old, live in America in serious depression

If you are serious then you should seek help. Come to think of it you should probably seek help even if you aren't serious.

What happened to 'I will not play attention seeking games during Lent' eh?

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
You hit the nail on the head. This guy ain't no 21, 41 is more like it.
If it's really Suns and Buns, he is young...very well could be 21. I've seen him, in person.

By the way, in person, Suns and Buns is an affable guy.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If it's really Suns and Buns, he is young...very well could be 21. I've seen him, in person.

By the way, in person, Suns and Buns is an affable guy.
I concur.
On the net, he's like a space cadet, in real life he appears as normal, pleasant and sociable as can be

Status
Not open for further replies.