How many are coming to the party?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We have lived here about 19 months. We have met a wonderful Dominican Family. They are Doctor's, lawyers and the list goes on, all profesional. So we asked one of them to come by for a pool party this week end ans bring their mothers and daughters. We now discovered that more folks then we invited are coming. Thats ok, the problem is we have no idea how many are coming are when. This is not a catered deal. Its a "lets go to Jose Luise and get the stuff we need kinda deal". How can we plan for this? ANY suggestions are welcome. AND yes, he who has the best suggestion is welsome to join us. But how many are you gringing? LOL thanks Phil

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can tell you from experience that the possibilities are infinite. I learned it the hard way, after inviting my sister and brother in law round and ending up hosting eight or nine people.

You could say something about needing to know 'm?s or menos' so you know how much of X to get, and they'll cut you some slack for being a foreigner.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We have lived here about 19 months. We have met a wonderful Dominican Family. They are Doctor's, lawyers and the list goes on, all profesional. So we asked one of them to come by for a pool party this week end ans bring their mothers and daughters. We now discovered that more folks then we invited are coming. Thats ok, the problem is we have no idea how many are coming are when. This is not a catered deal. Its a "lets go to Jose Luise and get the stuff we need kinda deal". How can we plan for this? ANY suggestions are welcome. AND yes, he who has the best suggestion is welsome to join us. But how many are you gringing? LOL thanks Phil

We invited the local Dominican family to my husband's birthday party which is 27th December. Like you, we said bring the extended members of the family and I think they numbered between 35-40 in total!!! Be prepared for any number but def a good idea to ask up front as to how many you may expect. Fortunately the piggy we cooked was more than ample to cater for all. Good partying.. :bunny::bunny:

Last edited:

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Phil your so generous.
This is a common delemna that erupts when inviting local folk to have a good time.
Even though they may be lawyer's, doctors, ect. ect. and are well respected and honest be careful of the cousins and cousins cousins that may show up. This could be an easy opportunity to have unwanted guests "casing" your place.
Good luck

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How can we plan for this?

Don't try planning in a way you would in US, Canada or Europe. It isn't expected and you'll just give yourself a headache. Get your local pizza delivery place to deliver in shifts - order x amount in advance, then when you get an idea of numbers on the day phone them & order x+y & when the delivery person arrives with the first batch order some more if necessary. If you overbuy on drinks you can always keep for future use. Cutlery won't be needed for pizza, just serviettes to hold it or paper plates. You'll probably find every item of food gets consumed so don't worry about leftovers & if there were any leftovers your muchacha, if she's helping you, will happily take home what is left. Relax & enjoy your own party! :)

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks everyone, great information and suggestions. That reminds me, gota see if the pizza place is open this holiday week end. OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
call pollo provocon, they are open late and serve tasty chicken that dominicans love to eat.
When I invite 10 dominican friend to my BBQ, I prepare for 16 people. I know, more will show.
AZB

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
The tough thing is that for stuff like this it "seems" like EVERYONE is an aunt, uncle, cousin, etc. so you WILL probably be surprised. The education level may or may not reduce the number of "just friends" who show up. In parties with invites (in Metro and in the Cap) I've known people hire bouncers! I'm not suggesting you do this, but it does provide an idea of how to prep your expectations.

Then of course there is the TIME of arrival...

Do let us know how many showed up and when...inquiring minds want to know.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
A bouncer? No need I have my wife. People have suggested guns or dogs. All I need to do should trouble break out is get on the other side of my wife and call her names. She'll sort it out just to get at me. LOL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One thing I have noticed is that no opened bottle goes unused. In fact, no open case of alcohol goes unused. I have had people stuff bottles in their pockets for "later" ...no embarrassment at all...

Social skills frequent in Europe or North America (except Mexico) are generally absent in the scenarios most posters here will experience. In other sectors of the population Lady Vanderbilt would be pleased with the manners, but not in this case, I am afraid..

Sort of go with the flow, but be firm with the booze. Keep it locked away, unless you want it to be all gone. Keep your good Scotch single malts locked under key. Put out local crap to be imbibed with coke or 7 Up...Rum or local vodka with Cranberry juice...

Or fill a Johnny Walker Green Label bottle with local whiskey...doesn't matter, they always mix it with something...

HB, a West Virginian

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Party was good. Not sure how many we invited but 12 showed up. Had enough food and drink for everyone. Had to give some away at the end. OH, we drove up your road today or atleast we think we did, had to turn around too steep. Not sure it was the right road. LOTS of improvements !!!!!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
political rally

Glad to know all went well and that you had plenty to go around and then some. The weather was nice, perfect for a get together outside. Also, it was nice of you to part with the left-overs. You folks are wonderful people.
The road...yes it does have some steep parts, gullies and major holes but I would think your vehicle should make it with no problem. Perhaps you may have taken a wrong turn? Wife's mother made a visit and drove her tiny, little Daihatsu car, that was a surprize. After she made it back home she told us of the ciaos involving the "white" and the "purple" political rally going on down at main street. She said it was getting hectic down there.
Anyways, great to know your shindig was a sucess. Thanks for keeping us posted.
We'll be in touch.