Buying a motorbike

drblink

Sep 19, 2007
I am looking to buy a pasola or motor. I will be landing in Santiago then staying in Sosua for 12 weeks this summer. I then plan to leave the pasola with my family in Santiago while they look to resell it. I am basically clueless to whats good or bad. I am looking for something affordable and 'standard' if that makes sense. It will need to carry 2 people. I would like it to be new because I rented a used one last year in DR and the last day I was there, I got to test drive a new pasola - it was the most amazing experience. The ride was smooth and I couldn't even tell if it was on or not. My budget is about 30-40RD.

I have a cousin who is trying to sell me a new 2007 Honda SuperClub C-90 for 35RD. How can I find out if its worth 35RD or not. All in all, I will be happy with anything that works and has muscle to go uphill.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Honda 90 is a good small bike and can carry two easy.
they are selling Chinese-made, Honda knock offs for 32K with no money down and 1350 a month. 125 cc Honda engines..

There are so many that you can choose from...take a day and buy one you like.

HB

drblink

Sep 19, 2007
How would I be able to tell if its a knock off or not? What are the drawbacks for the off-brand? What is 125cc mean? - Also I intend to pay cash upfront in hopes of a better discount.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How would I be able to tell if its a knock off or not? What are the drawbacks for the off-brand? What is 125cc mean? - Also I intend to pay cash upfront in hopes of a better discount.
You know what you're getting with a name brand like Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Vespa, etc. There are a bunch of "knock offs", brands you've never heard of, out there, much less expensive, but of dubious quality. Caveat emptor. You get what you pay for.

The margins are so slim on these bikes I don't know whether cash is a big deal to them or not.

125cc is the engine size, the larger the #, the bigger and more powerful the engine. 100-125cc is a good all-around size.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The two standards here in the DR are the Honda 4 cycleSuper Cub, 70 or 90 and the Yamaha s troke 115. These two are withoput a doubt the most popular and proven workhorses used here. Everything else is basically chinese imitations with a lot of plastic and otherwise inferior parts. This may be ok if you are staying a short period of time but don't let anyone try to kid you that the knockoffs are equal to the one's I mentioned, and they should be considerably cheaper.

Typically, the younger generation are apprehensive about having a Honda 90 because other kids will make fun of them and call them motoconcho, which means mototaxi driver. For this reason the majority that use these are working people, including motoconchos. The Yamaha 115 is used by motoconchos as well as the younger generation and even some professionals that can't afford a car, but a good used one will run you 50k.

If you are interested in your appearance and economy, the best bet would be to get a good pasola, like the Yamaha jog, which you can easily find one in very good condition in the 20's. This may be the best choice, especially if you have a young lady you might want to carry around, as most young girls would rather get on a pasola than a Honda Super Cub. I wouldn't hesitate to say that some would downright refuse to be seen on one.

good luck

drblink

Sep 19, 2007
Does anyone know of a website where I can look up prices? Sort of like a bluebook for all makes/models. I found this website Bikez.com - Online motorcycle catalogue describing more than 10.000 bikes and 150 brands. it has all the details about a motorbike but no retail price. A yamaha jog sounds like it might be the one for me. I am very interested in going to a dealer and getting a test run. Anyone know of a reliable business where I can make my purchase? Somewhere between STI and POP airport would be best, or in that general area.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does anyone know of a website where I can look up prices? Sort of like a bluebook for all makes/models. I found this website Bikez.com - Online motorcycle catalogue describing more than 10.000 bikes and 150 brands. it has all the details about a motorbike but no retail price. A yamaha jog sounds like it might be the one for me. I am very interested in going to a dealer and getting a test run. Anyone know of a reliable business where I can make my purchase? Somewhere between STI and POP airport would be best, or in that general area.
It's not that simple in the DR, far from it.
Let me first repeat what Hillbilly told you about knock offs.
If you got nothing else out of this thread than having learned to avoid the Chinese bikes, you'd already be coming out a winner.
They are so crappy that even those who do get sucked into buying them, can barely muster up anger at the salesman who sold it to them because it's so damn laughable, that anything would be made that cheap.
It becomes a conversation piece in a very short period of time.
You will have no problems identifying them, just by the brand name.
If it's not stamped Yamaha or Honda all over it, don't buy it.
End of story.
And when the salesman tells you that the Chinese bike is actually a Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha knock off and that all the parts are interchangeable and that you're a fool for "paying twice the price, just for the name", think back on what Hillbilly told you and keep on walking.

Your search is really not that complicated, like you think it is.
The Honda Cub would be the best all round deal.
If you need to look kool, then get a Yamaha or Honda scooter.
If you buy one with tiny tires/wheels, you can be that much more assured of wiping out in a pothole one day.
The bigger the bubble tire, the safer it will be.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What does 125cc mean? = danger

Wow, I am surprised no one has tried to talk him out of it because of the danger. Someone who is asking what a cc is should be extra careful about driving in the DR. Very very careful! Wear a helmet, dont drink and drive, dont drive at night too much, wear bright clothing, lock it up, keep it in sight, dont go to dangerous areas, etc etc. But still try to have fun!

drblink

Sep 19, 2007
The Honda Cub would be the best all round deal.
If you need to look kool, then get a Yamaha or Honda scooter.
If you buy one with tiny tires/wheels, you can be that much more assured of wiping out in a pothole one day.
The bigger the bubble tire, the safer it will be.

What is the general price for a new honda cub 90 and a honda/yamaha scooter? I agree about the small wheels! Always gives me a laugh when I see low riding fancy cars in my hometown. From my assumption, a cub will cost 35-45RD and yamaha/honda scooter at 23-35RD. Is this correct?

Driving in DR sure is dangerous! Always makes me feel wierd for using one way or red lights all the time.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What is the general price for a new honda cub 90 and a honda/yamaha scooter? I agree about the small wheels! Always gives me a laugh when I see low riding fancy cars in my hometown. From my assumption, a cub will cost 35-45RD and yamaha/honda scooter at 23-35RD. Is this correct?

Driving in DR sure is dangerous! Always makes me feel wierd for using one way or red lights all the time.
I don't know the prices.
I expect that the selection you will be looking at will run from $1k US to $2K US.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Although the scooters are kool looking as compared to the Cubs, the Cubs do have some logistical advantages and special features.

Slide3-1.jpg

drblink

Sep 19, 2007
Although the scooters are kool looking as compared to the Cubs, the Cubs do have some logistical advantages and special features.

Nice picture. Anyone have references for reliable dealers in STI/POP area?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Most of us on the North coast agree that Gaspar Hernandez is the place to buy.
Don't ask me why, but they're always cheaper out that way.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can I get Gaspar Hernandez's contact number so I can give him a call?
Sorry.
I should have explained that it's the name of a town, 30 minutes East of Sosua on the North coast highway.
I have no number for the dealer there but someone else might.

Mar 2, 2008
Sorry to interject an off-thread remark, but if I may, I just want to add that Rocky has some very excellent advice, and he offers it for no other reason than to help people. He's a good and honest man, who has a heart of gold, although it's hard to tell at times. By the way, Rocky knows me but not by catcherintherye. We'll see if he can guess.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Call Pancho Motores in Moca and ask for Ramon. Tell them Chi, el americano sent you. He will give you all of the prices and treat you right. (809) 822-0277

Oh yeah, bring a good helmet from the States.

J

John Evans

HTML:
By the way, Rocky knows me but not by catcherintherye. We'll see if he can guess.
another guessing game...is it Uncle Bulgaria

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I have to agree with luperon, if the poster has no idea what a cc is or the difference between a japanese and a chinese or any other knockoff, this poster should really consider jumping into buying a pasola.
For one thing "driving" on these roads with all the hazards and carelessness of other drivers in a car is completely different then being on two wheels. An inexperienced rider should be aware of the dangers lurking everywhere. On two wheels you are not too visable.
Also, if the poster does have some experience riding a motorcycle or dirtbike they should know that riding on a pasola is a very different experience alltogether. The turning radius on these little things are what cause a lot of wipeouts and yes all the potholes, the sand, sewer grates and uneven terrain is dangerous.
They are fun and economical, will get you around easy enough, great on gas but just take your time getting used to it.
Many shops sell new/ used pasola's on the main drag through POP, prices vary.
If you do buy one I agree with the other posters to purchase a Honda or Yamaha. These bikes are reliable and well built. Once you are done with it you can re-sell it easy.
Also, that was a very good point to bring your own helmet, it is the law and if your not a local chances are you will be targeted for a fine without one.
Have fun and be safe.