Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can they do that ?

Wifey was telling me today that the police locked up all known surfers 'til the waves calm down....Is is legal ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm... the only crazy surfer i know was out in the ocean this morning and he almost drowned. when he crawled back to the beach defensa civil was already waiting and they threatened to keep his surfboard.
    so i guess anything is possible...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, just had someone confirm that they are arresting people as they come in.
    Going out with a friend now to try to rescue someone we think is out on the water.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

is this for real? what would the legal reason for locking them up be?

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sascha View Post
    is this for real? what would the legal reason for locking them up be?
    Preventive detainment?
    Suicide watch?
    Protective custody?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Preventive detainment?
    Suicide watch?
    Protective custody?
    so basically any reason they can think up?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Is someone complaining about this??

if the surfers die out there then the police is blamed, might as well take preventive measure.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default not only in DR

Not just in DR. Done in the states. There was a well reported case about 10 years ago when NJ got passed by numerous hurricanes and some surfer where arrested when they came back in. This action is taken all over the world, even in Hawaii; the authorities will attempt to keep surfers out of the water when deemed dangerous. (of course some of those guys find a way around them).

The thought behind this (at least in the states that includes HI) is that the water patrol will feel responsible to rescue and in conditions like that, even they don't want to go in. As surfers we tend to look at it as repressive government but its not really, safety begins with prevention. And unfortunately when it gets good, every yahoo will dig out a board they haven't touched in years and try to go - thats dangerous. The good thing is there aren't a lot of surfers in DR like other near by islands in Carib (PR) - and lets keep it that way.

That said, I wish I was back down as I watched bouy readings and knew Carib would see significant swell. Feb wasnt so good. Big storm in the N Central Atlantic pushing down the energy.

Hope none of my friends on the N side are in the clink.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    Not just in DR. Done in the states. There was a well reported case about 10 years ago when NJ got passed by numerous hurricanes and some surfer where arrested when they came back in. This action is taken all over the world, even in Hawaii; the authorities will attempt to keep surfers out of the water when deemed dangerous. (of course some of those guys find a way around them).

The thought behind this (at least in the states that includes HI) is that the water patrol will feel responsible to rescue and in conditions like that, even they don't want to go in. As surfers we tend to look at it as repressive government but its not really, safety begins with prevention. And unfortunately when it gets good, every yahoo will dig out a board they haven't touched in years and try to go - thats dangerous. The good thing is there aren't a lot of surfers in DR like other near by islands in Carib (PR) - and lets keep it that way.

That said, I wish I was back down as I watched bouy readings and knew Carib would see significant swell. Feb wasnt so good. Big storm in the N Central Atlantic pushing down the energy.

Hope none of my friends on the N side are in the clink.
    learning something new every day

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that really done in the states as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast